PM roost in Williamsburg KY ???

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
jhcox

PM roost in Williamsburg KY ???

Postby jhcox » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:04 pm

I thought I saw on here a post About a large purple Martin roosting site in Williamsburg Kentucky. Does anyone know if they are roosting there again this year? I just live about 45 min south of Williamsburg down I-75 in Heiskell TN. I would like to see a large PM roost one time. Thanks for any assistance on this. JHCox Heiskell TN

scottfreidhof

Re: PM roost in Williamsburg KY ???

Postby scottfreidhof » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:10 pm

There has been a roost in Williamsburg in past years. They were massing in the trees around the local Burger King as I recall. When I visited several years ago, the trees had been cut down to discourage the martins. I have checked radar several times in the past week but have not seen a roost ring around Williamsburg yet. It may take another week or two before roosts really get going on this side of the state.

scottfreidhof

Postby scottfreidhof » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:45 pm

A sizeable roost wing is visible around Williamsburg now JH. You should try to find it one evening soon. I will try to zoom in on the ring tomorrow morning to give you a good starting point of where to look.

scottfreidhof

Postby scottfreidhof » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:23 am

The center of the roost ring appears to be south of Williamsburg closer to Pleasant View, but it may very well be in Williamsburg. It is definitely located on the east side of I-75. You might place yourself in Pleasant View around 7:30 pm one evening and watch the skies. Martins should be streaming over Pleasant View by 8:00 pm. If they are headed north then you can follow them along Route 25W towards Williamsburg. As you follow the martins keep your eyes on the horizon to look for a swarm of birds concentrated over one spot. That should put you on the roost.

jedin

Postby jedin » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:20 pm

Can someone share the info regarding the interactive radar sites they are using to check for roost rings please? My computer died in Nov and only partial recovery. The only one I had from before no longer has the feature of entering dates and times for the loops. We still have martins returning daily after last fledges July 16, central KY. Thanks for any help!
2011: First house late June, lots of visitors
2012: One pair of SY, 5 fledged
2013: 4 pair, 18 fledged
2014: 4 pair, 20 fledged
2015: 14 pair
2016: 18 pair

scottfreidhof

Postby scottfreidhof » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:47 pm

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/myo/rad/nids.html

Try the link above. The roost around Williamsburg looks very large now as does the Nicholasville roost.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”