I hope they fledged

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
jhcox

I hope they fledged

Postby jhcox » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:08 pm

Got home from vacation yesterday and looked in the one gourd that I had a pair nesting in the hatched 6 but we lost 1. So should have had 5 fledge. Empty!! All I can do is hope that they fledged. I haven’t seen any Martin’s around today I really hope they all fledged and moved south. I wish I could have been here when they left. Just to be sure they made it. Guess I’ll find out next year if they return.

I heart birds
Martin Colony History: Will always be a wanna be landlord, martins or not!
2016- Two lookers-No takers.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.

Oso Bay Preserve Satellite Location (Trio Mini)
2018-ASY visitor pair.

Firm believer in SREH, enlarged compartments, bug control, predator guards, heat insulation and venting.

PMCA member

Re: I hope they fledged

Postby I heart birds » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:15 am

Dont despair just yet, the adults may return with them at night.
Tom

2016-Wanna be LL. Two lookers. nada
2017-5 pairs. 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs. 85 Fledged.

jhcox

Postby jhcox » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:46 am

Hey you were right they did return with them today. Im watching them now on the power lines above the PM racks. Write now the mother is pushing the little ones off of the lines and forcing them to fly around some. They seem to be very reluctant to let go of the power line. But she is presistant and pushes one off then another and the male seems to be chasing them away from the power lines. Im going to wait until September ti take the gourds down and clean them. Then I’ll just have to wait and hope that they will return next year.

I heart birds
Martin Colony History: Will always be a wanna be landlord, martins or not!
2016- Two lookers-No takers.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.

Oso Bay Preserve Satellite Location (Trio Mini)
2018-ASY visitor pair.

Firm believer in SREH, enlarged compartments, bug control, predator guards, heat insulation and venting.

PMCA member

Postby I heart birds » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:48 pm

That sounds like fun to watch. You did great getting them on their way! They may choose the same gourd for a few nights, the little ones are getting taught how to be martins! Good for you, your pair is now very likely to return! Best martin attracting tools are other martins.

No need to keep up the houses so long, however, that is your choice. Once they take off for good and you dont think they will be back, its safe to take them down...I was under the impression that that martins migrating from the north will be on the look out for housing...seems that is not the case. Once your birds are gone and they dont return (even just to hang out and preen) its safe to take them down...latest wait a few weeks before taking them down. My last fledged on the 4th of July, some of the adults do fly by's now and come and sit in the morning but no returning chicks. Ill wait one more week and then take everything down.

I just dont want them to swing by and find the houses gone, i think they will come back next year but they are loyal to the site so its good to return that loyalty IMHO.
Congrats,
Tom
Tom

2016-Wanna be LL. Two lookers. nada
2017-5 pairs. 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs. 85 Fledged.

jhcox

Postby jhcox » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:58 am

Thanks Tom I had a total of 11 here yesterday so im assuming that some of those are migrating birds. Or maybe just helping out with the young martins maybe. I do leave my gourds up until early September just because on stormy days or nights I have had martins come in out of the weather and stay the night. They may have been on the way to one of the big roost. Over in middle TN. Thanks again JHCox Heiskell TN

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”