Best powder for mites

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Conrad Baker

Best powder for mites

Postby Conrad Baker » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:50 am

Putting up two more houses (more S&K Houses), and am wondering what is the latest greatest powder to control mites in the nests? I was using Sevin dust, and need to buy more, but if something is better, I will give it a try. I know about Diatomaceous Earth, but was looking for something equal to or better than sevin dust.

Emil Pampell-Tx

Re: Best powder for mites

Postby Emil Pampell-Tx » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:35 am

Sevin dust the best, but why would you want something better? Sevin is very effective, cheap, easy to use???)
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps

Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university.

Postby Ed Svetich-WI » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:31 pm

If you know about diatomaceous earth, you know not to use it. As to your question, Emil is correct. Anything better will be more lethal and you do not need that. Don't forget nest replacements. Insecticides and miticides do not replace removing a vermin infested nest.

One disadvantage of multi-cavity martin housing is the risk that vermin can easily move to the next compartment, especially when one nest's occupants fledge, leaving a bunch of hungry critters.

flmike

Postby flmike » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:35 pm

My dad always put Flowers OF Sulfur under the nesting trays. I know nothing about it’s properties.
Last edited by flmike on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Conrad Baker

Postby Conrad Baker » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:38 pm

Thanks for the help, everyone. Emil, I have always used it, and will continue. I seem to remember it being either 5% or 7%. Either or is good ??

FarmerHarv
Martin Colony History: 2018 - First house up in late June, lots of visitors.

Postby FarmerHarv » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi all, new landlord (hopefully) here. It looks like Sevin has been banned in Canada, so if anyone knows of a good alternative that would be great.

I have some 46% Carbaryl liquid that I can use, and some Tempo powder that we’ve used around the house but I’m unsure how it might affect birds.

Any insights welcome so we can prepare for next year. Thanks!

Conrad Baker

Postby Conrad Baker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:19 pm

Good luck in establishing your colony. Plenty of good info on this Forum. When I ran out of Sevin dust, I used Hi Yield Garden, Pet, and livestock dust. It contains Permethrin, and is supposed to be safe on chickens, ducks, household pets, and livestock. I bought a hand duster bellows, and you put the powder in then squeeze the bellows and it shoots out the dust in a fine spray. Great for dusting the inside of the house and nests before you put the house up. Once the birds have built a nest, you just stick the hose of the duster in under the nest and give it a little squeeze so a small amount of dust comes out. The Hi Yield has worked just as well this year as the Sevin did. I might try using both, unless someone here advises against using the Permethrin. Permethrin is supposed to be effective against blowflies (larvae) too, if you have them in your area.
You said you have liquid, not sure about the effectiveness of it over dust. Maybe someone else can reply with their experience of the liquid and/or dust. No idea about the Tempo-not familiar at all with it.

Susquatch

Postby Susquatch » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:41 am

FarmerHarv wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:03 pm
Hi all, new landlord (hopefully) here. It looks like Sevin has been banned in Canada, so if anyone knows of a good alternative that would be great.

I have some 46% Carbaryl liquid that I can use, and some Tempo powder that we’ve used around the house but I’m unsure how it might affect birds.

Any insights welcome so we can prepare for next year. Thanks!

The main active ingredient in Sevin is Carbaryl. Switching to Carbaryl liquid to avoid the toxicity of Sevin is probably like jumping from the pot to the fire......

Several years ago, an expert member on this site told me to avoid insecticides altogether and just do more frequent nest changes. I think her advice was good.
The best way to repay a favour is to pass it on.

FarmerHarv
Martin Colony History: 2018 - First house up in late June, lots of visitors.

Postby FarmerHarv » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:28 pm

Susquatch wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:41 am

The main active ingredient in Sevin is Carbaryl. Switching to Carbaryl liquid to avoid the toxicity of Sevin is probably like jumping from the pot to the fire......

Several years ago, an expert member on this site told me to avoid insecticides altogether and just do more frequent nest changes. I think her advice was good.
Oh, I’m not switching to liquid, I currently have nothing else and now have no access to any other form of carbaryl. I definitely prefer to use nothing (I most likely reached my quota of indiscriminate killing of things with insecticide/herbicide/fungicide use on the farm years ago), but if mites do get out of hand I would like to have an option that has a track record and many landlords believe does no harm to the Martins.

Conrad Baker

Postby Conrad Baker » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:29 pm

Something I am going to try next season is to get some 6 inch wide (they are actually about 5.5 in) cedar fence boards, and cut them into 5.5 inch pieces. They will go into the compartments of my S&K houses to keep the nests off the floor, and hopefully the cedar will deter pests such as mites. They are cheap (about $4.00), and I will only need two to outfit my houses. Cleanup at the end of next season should be easier, just dumping the cedar pieces into the trash can, and most of the poop and nest material will go out. I also plan to dust the houses with Sevin when I put them up.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”