Tulsa Roost 2018 located at Tulsa Airport again

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
zatn02
Martin Colony History: I have had martin housing for nearly 30 years but was never an active landlord until four to five years ago at this location. I live on Keystone Lake which is 25 miles west of Tulsa Oklahoma. For 2018 I will be expanding the colony to include the following: 1 Multi-Purpose pole with 2 Trio M12K houses with expanded compartments and 4 Troyer Vertical gourds underneath, 1 Multi-Purpose pole with 2 Trio Mini-Castles with expanded compartments and 4 Troyer Vertical Gourds underneath, 1 Fountain Gourd rack with 4 S&K Bo 11 Plus gourds with clinger tunnels and 8 Troyer Vertical Gourds, 1 Watersedge Coates Suite 8 house, 1 rack with 3 S&K Double Gourds, 1 Trendsetter 16 house with 4 Troyer Vertical Gourds underneath and 1 S&K Barn style house with expanded compartments. This will be a total of 79 nesting cavities offered for 2018. Hopefully this will help to increase my numbers over 2017 which were 17 active pair with 72 hatch and 71 fledge.

Tulsa Roost 2018 located at Tulsa Airport again

Postby zatn02 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:27 pm

Unfortunately the Tulsa Roost will be back at the Tulsa International Airport for the 2018 season. I went out searching tonight and went to the Tulsa water supply lake which is where many of the birds staged up during the day last year. I found a large number of purple martins sitting on the power lines and going in to several trees by the water plant. I have hoping that they would stay there but about 10 minutes to 9:00pm, they started heading towards the airport which is just a few miles away as the crow flies.
I headed to the airport and the sky was covered with purple martins coming in to roost in the trees between the terminal and the runway.
There were already thousands of birds there and it is only July 7th.
I did not see any airport personnel shooting anything at the birds but it is only a matter of time.
Anything that PMCA can do to assist us with dealing with the airport personnel would be appreciated.

thanks
Anita Harp

pmartinlover2
Martin Colony History: 2011 Home site--1 SY pair--2 fledged
2016 Satellite Site---4 pair--19 eggs laid--17 hatched--16 fledged
2017 Satellite Site--8 pair--37 eggs laid--34 hatched--34 fledged

Re: Tulsa Roost 2018 located at Tulsa Airport again

Postby pmartinlover2 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:28 pm

Oh no! Not again! Please go somewhere else birdies!
Jody in Central Illinois
Landlord in 2016
2016—4 pr fledged 16
2017—8 pr fledged 34
2018—11 pr fledged 60

redfinch

Postby redfinch » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:04 pm

I haven't heard since the last post if the Martins are still roosting at the airport. Goodness! This is scary. Ours have left only about a week ago. They were late in raising their babies. They have returned every now and then at both houses but haven't seen them now for that last couple days. Is there nothing we can do? I suppose not.

I may be at the wrong post but usually there are several that attend the viewing of the Tulsa Roost. Do you still do that or is it because there is no where to meet? Just asking. Well, here is my good luck wishes and safe journeys to each and every martin that graces us with their presence every year. Sure does give us old folks something to look forward too! God speed.
Redfinch

Okie
Martin Colony History: 2016 Informed landlord now Have 2 pair returning from 2015 That is a miracle. Hoping for a very successful year, sparrow population on decline.
First house was plastic with crescent holes Had martins within a few days. Ignorant landlord gradually lost them
Then got Trio House and still lost most of them. Lots of sparrows

Postby Okie » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:19 pm

red finch
I"m in Claremore area too. Would you mind contacting me by email? Would love to get acquainted.
We just need to pray for those PMs. So scary to be flying in around the planes.

Anita do you have any updates?
Okie
PMCA member
2016 Started with 2 pair, 1 pair abandoned after HOSP destroyed eggs
1 pair= 6 eggs, 6 fledged
2017 1 pair so far, But they abandoned before nest complete for ?reason? Now Bridless and joined the Wannabes
2018 One pair ASY male SY female 5 eggs, 5 fledged

Planelivin

Postby Planelivin » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:45 pm

PMs are very agile flyers so the threat of a bird strike is limited and their size is not a problem 99.9% of the time for air transport size equipment. Boeing Airbus etc. Airports generally have willing listeners to be good neighbors. I would call the regional airport authority and speak with their public relations people as they might not know the patterns or the fact they will be leaving soon to go south. In due time the situation kinda resolves itself and they may totally unaware of that.

I have 24 years with a major US carrier and have 5 good confirmed bird strikes in my history. None required an engine shutdown. Did hit a few geese one night in the clouds on descent mid teens one night going into BOS Logan but in IFR conditions they don't have TCAS and my TCAS can't pick them up since they don't have TCAS. :) Birds generally get the heck outta the way. Generally because my bird is MUCH bigger. The airport in Tulsa would welcome the call and info on the PMs and the importance of their pre migratory roost there. I would say they are mostly unaware of the PMs activity and would welcome the education so as to be a better neighbor to your community. Just call them.

Don Troha

Postby Don Troha » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:43 pm

There's an update regarding the Tulsa roost on the Tulsa Audubon website. http://www.tulsaaudubon.org/
2018 - 15 pair, 63 fledged
2017 - 11 pair, 46 fledged
2016 - 5 pair, 22 fledged
2015 - 3 pair, 13 fledged
2014 - 3 pair, 12 fledged
2013 - 3 pair, 12 fledged
2012 - 2 pair, 8 fledged
2011 - 1 pair, 2 fledged

Dick Sherry

Postby Dick Sherry » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:17 pm

We have been in communications with the airport management people, and they have been much more accepting of the martins' presence this year, and have been very helpful by not firing whistling and exploding firework-type devices at the birds. Sound has been used to move the birds away from a baggage claim area, and they are concerned about the birds flying out over runway areas, which they really don't do. So all in all, this summer has gone much better than last year.

Martins have not had a good year within the central part of Tulsa. Coopers hawks and other predators have practically driven them out of a big area of town. This is the second year of having no nesting martins, and we did not even have any visitors that I saw. I am not sure that much can be done to remedy the situation, since the predators are protected.

There are thousands of martins roosting at the airport, and they use nearby Lake Yahola and the water treatment plant as a major staging area before going to the roost. Well worth a trip out to see them if you are anywhere near Tulsa.

zatn02
Martin Colony History: I have had martin housing for nearly 30 years but was never an active landlord until four to five years ago at this location. I live on Keystone Lake which is 25 miles west of Tulsa Oklahoma. For 2018 I will be expanding the colony to include the following: 1 Multi-Purpose pole with 2 Trio M12K houses with expanded compartments and 4 Troyer Vertical gourds underneath, 1 Multi-Purpose pole with 2 Trio Mini-Castles with expanded compartments and 4 Troyer Vertical Gourds underneath, 1 Fountain Gourd rack with 4 S&K Bo 11 Plus gourds with clinger tunnels and 8 Troyer Vertical Gourds, 1 Watersedge Coates Suite 8 house, 1 rack with 3 S&K Double Gourds, 1 Trendsetter 16 house with 4 Troyer Vertical Gourds underneath and 1 S&K Barn style house with expanded compartments. This will be a total of 79 nesting cavities offered for 2018. Hopefully this will help to increase my numbers over 2017 which were 17 active pair with 72 hatch and 71 fledge.

Postby zatn02 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:25 pm

Yes, the martins are still at the Tulsa airport and we have a roost watch party scheduled for this Saturday evening the 11th of August. Best viewing location is the top of the airport parking garage, NE corner. Cost is $2:00 to park for an hour. Birds were starting to come in last night around 8:15pm - 8:30pm but there was still a large number of martins up high as it was getting dark. Hope to see everyone out there.

thanks
Anita Harp.

Matt F.

Postby Matt F. » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:38 am

Anita Harp and Dick Sherry - you all are superstars!
The atrocities being committed by airport personnel towards the roosting Martins, would no doubt be continuing without you all's intervention.
Truly great work!

Dick Sherry

Postby Dick Sherry » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:50 pm

Hi, Matt. Thank you for the kind words. The airport has been much more accepting of the martins, and very cooperative with Anita and me and the efforts to protect the martins. We really hope the birds go somewhere else next year, but building a positive relationship with the property owner or manager of a roost location becomes critical. We have been fortunate this year.

Planelivin

Postby Planelivin » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks Anita for your efforts. I'm not surprised the public relations people are willing to listen and ultimately learn about PMs. Up and until you folks educate them about PMs to them they are just another bird that needs to be controlled both from a safety standpoint but an inconvenience standpoint as well. Thanks again.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”