Fledge day during Tropical (rainy) weather

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
-=DKC=-

Fledge day during Tropical (rainy) weather

Postby -=DKC=- » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:29 pm

I have 6 gourds full of babies that should be fledging within the next week. We are also forecast to have tropical weather moving in by tomorrow with heavy thunderstorms at least through next Wednesday. I'm praying we don't get wind or further development with this system.

How concerned should I be about babies fledging during prolonged inclement weather?

Is it possible that fledging will be delayed or will they just jump out into a storm?

I have crickets stocked just in case and in the past my gourds have stayed dry in thunderstorms.

Any advise would be appreciated.

EDIT: I'm in South Texas, by the way.

ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Re: Fledge day during Tropical (rainy) weather

Postby ToyinPA » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:51 pm

If they aren't due to fledge until next week they may hold off attempting to fledge. The downside is at this age the parents hold off feeding them to make them fledge. They only feed them a few times a day, but if the parents can't get any food, due to prolonged bad weather, the chicks may get desperate. So keep a close watch & check the ground as often as you can.

If any jump, & you can't put them back, keep them in a box or container, with lots of air holes. Feed them at least 4 times day until you can put them back. Keep them warm & in a quite place. Birds body temp is around 104 degrees.

Here's praying the storm downplays or misses you.

Best wishes,
Toy in PA
PMCA Member

-=DKC=-

Postby -=DKC=- » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:12 pm

ToyinPA wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:51 pm
If they aren't due to fledge until next week they may hold off attempting to fledge. The downside is at this age the parents hold off feeding them to make them fledge. They only feed them a few times a day, but if the parents can't get any food, due to prolonged bad weather, the chicks may get desperate. So keep a close watch & check the ground as often as you can.

If any jump, & you can't put them back, keep them in a box or container, with lots of air holes. Feed them at least 4 times day until you can put them back. Keep them warm & in a quite place. Birds body temp is around 104 degrees.

Here's praying the storm downplays or misses you.

Best wishes,
Toy in PA
Thanks, Toy.

Today I have gourds with babies 21 days old, 25 days old, two broods of 27 day olds, and 29 days old. A couple have fledged out of that last gourd today. So that puts me at fledge date during the forecasted weather.

My colony seems pretty good at accepting flipped crickets and feeding them to the babies. If I don't see them making feeding trips I'll flip crickets. My neighbors might think I'm crazy, throwing bugs in a rainstorm, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. :P

Barring lightning, I should be able to replace any jumpers. Thanks for the body temp figure. I didn't know that.

ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Postby ToyinPA » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:46 pm

Thanks, Toy.

Today I have gourds with babies 21 days old, 25 days old, two broods of 27 day olds, and 29 days old. A couple have fledged out of that last gourd today. So that puts me at fledge date during the forecasted weather.

My colony seems pretty good at accepting flipped crickets and feeding them to the babies. If I don't see them making feeding trips I'll flip crickets. My neighbors might think I'm crazy, throwing bugs in a rainstorm, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. :P

Barring lightning, I should be able to replace any jumpers. Thanks for the body temp figure. I didn't know that.
[/quote]

You're welcome :). I've flipped in snow storms, bundled to the max with leg warmers, parka, hoodie, etc., so much I could barley move, LOL. Who cares what your neighbor's think. It's them that are missing out.

Assuming since you are in TX you use AC. If you can't put any chicks in a warm room use a heating pad set on medium heat, placed under the container & only under one half the container. That allows them to move to a cooler spot if they get too hot. Use nesting material in the container. Rags are not good as they get their toenails stuck in them. Also if you have to care for any paint one toenail on each foot, so you know where to put them back.

Let us know how it goes.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member

-=DKC=-

Postby -=DKC=- » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:01 pm

ToyinPA wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:46 pm
You're welcome :). I've flipped in snow storms, bundled to the max with leg warmers, parka, hoodie, etc., so much I could barley move, LOL. Who cares what your neighbor's think. It's them that are missing out.

Assuming since you are in TX you use AC. If you can't put any chicks in a warm room use a heating pad set on medium heat, placed under the container & only under one half the container. That allows them to move to a cooler spot if they get too hot. Use nesting material in the container. Rags are not good as they get their toenails stuck in them. Also if you have to care for any paint one toenail on each foot, so you know where to put them back.

Let us know how it goes.

Toy in PA
Thank you. I do have a room (laundry room) that I can close off and keep warm if needed. It has no AC vents. Praying everybody does well without my assistance but I will help them if necessary.

I heart birds
Martin Colony History: Will always be a wanna be landlord, martins or not!
2016- Two lookers-No takers.
2017- Five pair. 15 fledged.
2018-17 pair.
Oso Bay Preserve Satellite Location (Trio Mini)
2018-?

Firm believer in SREH, enlarged compartments, bug control, predator guards, heat insulation and venting.

Offering:
2017-One house, 4 excluder gourds.
2018-8 natural, and 3 Excluder gourds with crescent and modified excluder openings, 1 house w/crescents, heat insulation, enlarged compartments and venting.
PMCA member

Postby I heart birds » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:02 am

This is good to know, and it may rain most of next week. DKC, I think we should check for wet nests as well if the forecast is correct. I have two groups due to fledge today or tomorrow, some due next week Wed, rest are scattered out...and 4 eggs still!

Im looking forward to the bug bloom!
Tom

2016-Wanna be LL. Two lookers. nada
2017-5 nesting pair; 15 Fledged
2018-17 pairs.

-=DKC=-

Postby -=DKC=- » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:53 am

I heart birds wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:02 am
This is good to know, and it may rain most of next week. DKC, I think we should check for wet nests as well if the forecast is correct. I have two groups due to fledge today or tomorrow, some due next week Wed, rest are scattered out...and 4 eggs still!

Im looking forward to the bug bloom!
Yes I've already been thinking about how to do nest checks with an umbrella. Fortunately my S&K Bo11s have stayed dry during heavy rains before. But I plan to monitor as long as there's no lightning. My pole is grounded but I'm not dumb enough to stand under it in a lightning storm. :)

And yes, the bug bloom! I'm hoping to see some big dragonflies coming in for a change. I've seen mostly small bugs this whole season.

I heart birds
Martin Colony History: Will always be a wanna be landlord, martins or not!
2016- Two lookers-No takers.
2017- Five pair. 15 fledged.
2018-17 pair.
Oso Bay Preserve Satellite Location (Trio Mini)
2018-?

Firm believer in SREH, enlarged compartments, bug control, predator guards, heat insulation and venting.

Offering:
2017-One house, 4 excluder gourds.
2018-8 natural, and 3 Excluder gourds with crescent and modified excluder openings, 1 house w/crescents, heat insulation, enlarged compartments and venting.
PMCA member

Postby I heart birds » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:11 am

thats right, lots of moths and very small bugs and some butterflies, in the late afternoon Iv found a few black witch moths dead and some wings, so that helps but they need more. next weekend we should have a good chance.
Tom

2016-Wanna be LL. Two lookers. nada
2017-5 nesting pair; 15 Fledged
2018-17 pairs.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”