A male and female PM showed up at my house...

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
bulldogman1

A male and female PM showed up at my house...

Postby bulldogman1 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:21 pm

Hi, I'm Jason and I'm very new to this. Last year I put up my house in September because I just didn't know any better. I was flooded out of my home by Harvey and still not living at my house so I got the Martin house up 2 weeks ago. After I found this site I realized I put it up too late again. However, today I noticed a male and female PM circling and landing on my house. My question is... will they stay or are they checking it out for next year? I was so happy when I saw them but then some people at work said they probably won't stay this year. The spot I picked is really perfect. Meets all the clearance requirements and has a pond 100' from the house. They were sailing around the pond, coming to the house, sailing around the yard, then coming again to the house. I never saw them go into the house though. I had to go to work so i'll check on them tomorrow morning when I go work on my house.

Thanks

~Ray~Gingerich

Re: A male and female PM showed up at my house...

Postby ~Ray~Gingerich » Thu May 17, 2018 6:16 pm

I don't think it's too late to get an SY pair (last years hatch) no matter where you live
~Ray~ Gingerich
1999 1pair, 2006 2 pair, 2008 2 pair,
2009 23 pair, 2010 39 pair, 2011 67 pair,
2012 115 pair, 2013 160 pair,
2014 152 pair, 2015 174 pair, 2016 178 pair
2017 187 pair, 2018 200 pair

bulldogman1

Postby bulldogman1 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:47 pm

The male looked like an adult. He was solid dark purple. At first I thought it was a starling and started looking for the yellow beak and the body was wrong. He landed on the house and the sunlight hit him and I saw the purple and heard him and the other making a birdsong I never heard before. I never heard PM before. When I realized it was a PM I started clapping and told my buddy "it is happening" lol.I hope they stay.

bulldogman1

Postby bulldogman1 » Sat May 19, 2018 5:34 pm

UPDATE! I now see the male and two females. I see them in the morning and in the evening but during the day they are no where to be found. There are dragon flies everywhere and I have a pond less than 100' away. Is it normal for them to be gone during the day?

phldave

Postby phldave » Sat May 19, 2018 9:10 pm

Bulldogman,
Sure sounds like you’re set to me. Congratulations! After what you’ve been through, you certainly deserve to have a little enjoyment in your life. I’m sure they will be a welcome addition to your life. Please use this website to its fullest extent and do as much as you can to make them as prosperous as possible. I am sure it will be an up lifting experience. Best of luck, and keep us informed.
Dave
2012 late start
2013 nothing yet, lots a lookers
2014 Bust again
2015 Bust again
2016 Bust again
2017 Bust again
2018 April 14 a group joined me, but moved on after a week

Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at Satilite Site.

Postby Dave Reynolds » Sun May 20, 2018 6:39 am

~Ray~Gingerich wrote:I don't think it's too late to get an SY pair (last years hatch) no matter where you live
I also don’t think it’s to late,, SY’s are showing up all the time.. Everyday I see a few more.. Hang in there..

Dave
2018 Home Site
Lots of Visitors

2018 Satilite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
PMCA Member

4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a scoped Benjamin .177 pellet rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Lake Jackson martin colony on the "martin map"

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Sun May 20, 2018 9:35 am

Jason,
You are now on the "martin map" and can expect many more martin visitors this year. Even if you do not get any more martin pairs this year, I suspect that you will be full next year. Especially if your current martin pair successfully fledge their babies.

Many martin colonies in the Texas Gulf Coast area were damaged or destroyed by Hurricane Harvey and any new housing will be a blessing for the martins.
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Sun May 20, 2018 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark.
Firm believer in Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, S&S Control, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.

tor
Martin Colony History: 2015: 4 pair
2016: 32 pair
2017: 39 pair
2018: 60 pair / 240 fledged

Postby tor » Sun May 20, 2018 9:50 am

Jason, thats is great news. Keep track of them. Pay attention at sunset, and look for them coming back in for the night. If they do, that's even better news. :grin:
Tried for years, then..
2015: 4 pair
2016: 32 pair
2017: 39 pair
2018: 60 pair / 240 fledged

Purple Martin Landlords Of South Carolina
Torlo.com - Live Life Like There is No Tomorrow

BillieJR

Postby BillieJR » Sun May 20, 2018 11:16 am

Hey, Jason, welcome to the group and congrats on having good luck right away after putting your house up! I hope they stay and raise some beautiful babies for you. And I'm real sorry to hear about your home being wrecked by Harvey. I hope you can move back into it soon.
Billie from southern Wisonsin

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”