Is there still time this year to attract Martins?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
randy741985
Martin Colony History: 2018-First Year
0-Martins

Is there still time this year to attract Martins?

Postby randy741985 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:34 pm

I read this in Helpfull Hints for Martin Landlords from the PMCA.

"No matter where you live, keep your housing open through June. Martins may arrive and begin nesting as late as the end of June, anywhere in North America"

I was just wondering how often this happens?

Thanks
2018-6 Gourds First Year
0-Martins

Courtney-NC
Martin Colony History: 2009-2015-Helped to manage Raleigh site, 36 cavities
2016- 33 pairs at Raleigh site, 1 pair at home site.
2017- 34 pairs at Raleigh site, 3 pairs + extra SYs at home site
2018- TBD

Re: Is there still time this year to attract Martins?

Postby Courtney-NC » Mon May 14, 2018 8:43 pm

I have a friend in Alabama that is getting ASY and SY visitors now, so yes, there is still time. Play that Dawnsong every morning!
My own observation here in NC is that if a male martin has not found a mate by the first week of June, he likely will not breed for that year. That doesn't mean it's impossible though! Don't give up yet! :)
-Courtney
-------------------
NC Purple Martin Society (PMCA affiliate)

I heart birds
Martin Colony History: Will always be a wanna be landlord, martins or not!
2016- Two lookers-No takers.
2017- Five pair. 15 fledged.
2018-17 pair.
Oso Bay Preserve Satellite Location (Trio Mini)
2018-?

Firm believer in SREH, enlarged compartments, bug control, predator guards, heat insulation and venting.

Offering:
2017-One house, 4 excluder gourds.
2018-8 natural, and 3 Excluder gourds with crescent and modified excluder openings, 1 house w/crescents, heat insulation, enlarged compartments and venting.
PMCA member

Postby I heart birds » Mon May 14, 2018 8:53 pm

Randy,
Go to the advanced settings and type in "June" there are lots of returns, seems theres time. Even if they don't find a mate, its not too late to attract them and get your site on their radar. Worst case, no martins this breeding season but as they pass through your area, it is entirely possible they find it. If there are martins in the area who successfully fledge, those birds wont travel far from their home site when they return to look for homes. Courtney's right, don't give up!
Good luck,
Tom
Tom

2016-Wanna be LL. Two lookers. nada
2017-5 nesting pair; 15 Fledged
2018-17 pairs.

Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university.

Postby Ed Svetich-WI » Tue May 15, 2018 3:39 pm

A friend here in Wisconsin got his first pair in mid June several years ago. It was an ASY pair. We assumed that they had been at another colony when something caused a nest failure. It could have been a predator, damage to the housing or any number of issues that caused them to abandon the site and search elsewhere.

Someone else's misfortune could be your opportunity. Keep trying.

Good luck,

Ed

randy741985
0-Martins

Postby randy741985 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:25 pm

I heart birds wrote:Randy,
Go to the advanced settings and type in "June" there are lots of returns, seems theres time. Even if they don't find a mate, its not too late to attract them and get your site on their radar. Worst case, no martins this breeding season but as they pass through your area, it is entirely possible they find it. If there are martins in the area who successfully fledge, those birds wont travel far from their home site when they return to look for homes. Courtney's right, don't give up!
Good luck,
Tom

I will check it out.

Thanks a lot for all the responses. :P
2018-6 Gourds First Year
0-Martins

Heavy_D

Postby Heavy_D » Tue May 15, 2018 10:13 pm

My first year was last year and I had an SY male show up May 14th. He was gone about 2 weeks and returned about June 3rd with a mate. They made a nest and laid two eggs. Unfortunately, shortly after the 2nd egg was laid the female disappeared. I assume a hawk got her while she was off the nest.

I have not seen the male from last year so I am attempting to attract new SYs again.

I did have a ASY pair visit Sunday morning. They circled a few times and the female landed but the male did not. I assume they were visitors from a nearby colony.

randy741985
0-Martins

Postby randy741985 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:26 pm

Heavy_D wrote:My first year was last year and I had an SY male show up May 14th. He was gone about 2 weeks and returned about June 3rd with a mate. They made a nest and laid two eggs. Unfortunately, shortly after the 2nd egg was laid the female disappeared. I assume a hawk got her while she was off the nest.

I have not seen the male from last year so I am attempting to attract new SYs again.

I did have a ASY pair visit Sunday morning. They circled a few times and the female landed but the male did not. I assume they were visitors from a nearby colony.

It does seem to be a challenge, That was so close to getting a colony started maybe it will happen still.

Thanks for the reply.
2018-6 Gourds First Year
0-Martins

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”