Eggs in St Louis Area

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
wmfamily

Eggs in St Louis Area

Postby wmfamily » Mon May 14, 2018 5:29 am

When I did my nest check yesterday I found I finally have eggs. 2 eggs in one nest in the old box house and three between two gourds in the new Gemini rack. Lots of leaves in the other nests so I hope to find more as the days go by. This is my first year with the gourds so I'm happy they have accepted them.

BillieJR

Re: Eggs in St Louis Area

Postby BillieJR » Thu May 17, 2018 1:29 pm

That's great news, wmfamily, Congratulations! Is this your first year ever of having purple martins?
Billie from southern Wisonsin

wmfamily

Postby wmfamily » Thu May 17, 2018 5:35 pm

Thanks... No, I've had them for many years. When I lived in Florida on the upper Gulf coast 20 years ago I inherited a box from the neighbor when a hurricane blew it down. I fixed it up and put it back up. I always had a full house and need to find the picture of the swarm passing through. There was a full house and more than a hundred on the power lines.

This is my first year using gourds and last night's check showed one gourd with three eggs and three more with single eggs. I'm glad they've taken to the gourds and hope to have more next year.

Spiderman

Postby Spiderman » Thu May 17, 2018 7:14 pm

I was concerned about switching to gourds from houses. It seems like the Martins like them just as well maybe better.

The gourds did eliminate pairs trying to dominate multiple cavities.

As time progresses, I will probably take down my remaining houses due to age and add another Gourd rack.

If the Texas heat isn't an issue with the plastic gourds, I will be very Happy.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED

wmfamily

Postby wmfamily » Thu May 17, 2018 9:31 pm

So far I have more eggs in gourds than in the house but the house has more chatter activity. I have three well defined nests and one not so nice nest in the house. I would expect eggs in at least two more nests soon. This has been about normal for past seasons and I think this is due to the house creates crowding. I got the gourds to give them more room and only have 12 hung on a 24 gourd rack. I figure if I get more martins I can add more gourds. I'm just happy they decided to move in and make a home.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”