Community Roost - Tyler Texas

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Spiderman

I can't really explain it, we have 30 nests and only 3 of the nests have fledged so far.

But there is a community roost with 10,000+ Martins located at the intersection of Loop 323 and Broadway Ave. They are roosting in some trees in the parking lot of a restaurant named "On the Border".

We drove by there at 8:00pm on Sunday afternoon (6/6) and saw the big black tornado coming in to roost. If you are within driving range it is a site to see.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED

Hi Spiderman,

Thanks for your post! I was raised in Tyler and still have family there that I visit. I know exactly where you are talking about and try to go to On the Border whenever I'm there. Did you just happen to see the roost or has it been in the news?

I'm hoping someone with more experience (this is my first year for nesting pairs) can explain the large community roost when most of yours haven't fledged yet. That is confusing!
Spiderman

I saw the roost, was actually driving by at 8:00pm and saw the Martins circling. Pulled into the parking lot and watched them come in.

Two years ago there was a community roost down the road in the Best Buy parking lot. I never could find the roost in Tyler last year.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED
Dick Sherry

Martins will start forming roosts long before the young fledge, and some may spend the night at a roost starting very early in the season. Over the years, several landlords that I know and I have noticed birds leaving the colony around dusk and not coming back to spend the night in the housing. Males especially will start going to a roost when young are in the nest and it starts getting crowded in the nest cavity. As the young get near to fledging, the female may also go to a roost for the night. They always seem to be there at sunrise or shortly thereafter the next morning.

There is a lot still to be learned about this behavior and the fact that they do this in some places but not in other locations.