Illuminating a scarecrow to ward off owls.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
brent

Hi everyone,
I'm wondering if illuminating my scarecrow at night with a solar light would stress the martins. Anyone with that experience? Let me know.
Thanks, Brent.
brent

Need to know, please. Anyone with experience on this?
Brent
Whippy
Martin Colony History: See Signature

Brent,

Since the martins go in before dark I don't think they would mind or even know you have an illuminated scare crow outside. I've seen a video where the landlord has sensors and when the owl came in it would trigger lights to come on.

If you have the scarecrow illuminated and the lights are not shining on the gourds or house I think you'll be ok.

Do a quick search for owl attack and you might pull up the link to the video. I'll do it now and post if I find it.

Coolwhips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXJBiYq5ZnI
2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged
brent

Thanks Whippy. Wow what a video. I'm trying to be proactive and read that owls do not like human presence and it was suggested that a scarecrow be used. In the same article it mentioned that they didn't like lights either. So, I thought a lighted scarecrow might be what I need.
Brent
Whippy

Brent,

I put these on my game feeders at the ranch. They charge up all day with the solar panel and they are motion sensors as well. You can put these up on your housing to charge all day and when the owl comes in they'll light up and scare him off. Not a bad deal for less than $40.00. Mine are almost a year old and continue to work.

I got them from Amazon. $30.99. Copy and paste the whole description below and pull them up on google. You'll see a pair of them for sale at Walmart but get the 4 pack from Amazon. I think it's a better deal. I'm going to buy some more to put around the inside perimeter of my fence.

Solar Lights Outdoor 120 LED with Lights Reflector and 3 Lighting Modes,Solar Motion Sensor Security Lights, IP65 Waterproof Solar Powered Wall Lights for Garden Patio Yard Deck Pendant Lights(4-Pack)

I envision putting them up to cover all 4 directions pointing about 30 degrees up into the sky so when the owl comes in on the house or rack, they'll shine right in his face. I imagine that owl would crap his feathers when getting hit with that. When the Martins come to roost it shouldn't be dark enough for them to activate the light.

Will be interested to see how it works out if you do it.

Thank you,

Coolwhips
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
Whippy

Heres what one looks like when it's lit up. Be aware the game camera also has infrared illuminating the photo but you can see the cone of light the portable fixture puts out and how bright it is if it were to hit you in the face.

Coolwhips
Attachments
Image-1.jpg
Image-1.jpg (30.12 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
SSMartin

daveh wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:45 am
I've done motion detector lights on top of poles, scarecrows, bird spikes, radio noise, flood lights shining on the houses and gourds, and wire cages. Nothing works well for me. Barred owls are usually the problem but last season it was the great horned owl.

Dave
From a previous post
Whippy

SSMartin wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:15 pm
daveh wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:45 am
I've done motion detector lights on top of poles, scarecrows, bird spikes, radio noise, flood lights shining on the houses and gourds, and wire cages. Nothing works well for me. Barred owls are usually the problem but last season it was the great horned owl.

Dave
From a previous post
Thanks for putting that up, SS. I didn'd find that last night when I searched. So I now wonder what does work to deter them.

Coolwhips
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
Unk Bond
Martin Colony History: I have had 5

I have had 5 years of enjoying my martin bird colony.

=

Hello
? That looks like my old deer feeder. [ Later
daveh

Owls are smart and are not scared of anything. They may not bother you for a few nights using motion detector lights or flood lights or scarecrows but that's it. I have not had any luck using any of the above ideas. I stay up all night and walk out of the house when an owl is present and yell at him to spook. You can walk right up to them and they just look at me until they fly. They are pretty laid back. They can and will come back later that night. I've had them attack from around 9:00 pm to just before sun up. It makes a long night. I thought wire cages would work but they actually help them attack. The owl will hang on the wire, shake the whole setup and scare martins out. They catch birds as they exit thru the wire. I haven't had any problems so far this year but the season is young. I've had some hawk attacks but not to bad. I usually host around 70 pair of martins plus a lot of extras.

Dave
PMCA member
brent

Dave is there any thing that can be done? I can't stay up at night and patrol. The best I can do is the scarecrow and some lights. I am considering the night guard solar lights used to ward off unwanted animals. They blink on and off.
Brent
daveh

There's been alot of people on the forum that have used the blinking night guard lights over the years. Most people have not had good luck with them. But who knows, maybe they will work for you. When owls know there's a lot of fresh meat in a small area, it's real hard to stop them.

Dave
PMCA member