Martins drinking.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Mike Mack

Hi All, wondering if anybody ever sees martins drinking from a water source to small to drink from while on the fly? I've watched martins gather mud from around mud holes but can't remember seeing them drink except on the fly. Dont know if they can drink when not flying. Have read about them drinking out of swimming pools while flying. But what would be the smallest area of water they can drink from on the fly?Would appreciate any thoughts or insights on this. Thanks Mike.
brent

Hi Mike. I've seen them drink from a small pond while flying and swooping down and skimming the water surface. The pond is about 100 feet in diameter and is relatively free of trees. I've never,for example, seen them sit at a bird bath and drink.
Brent
MartinBoy14012

I see them swooping down and drinking from Lake Ontario all the time.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Purple Martin will not drink from a bird bath or small source of water. They only drink while in flight.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.