Second nest?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
jason_schwarm

Hi all. I’m posting this for my dad. He has a well established colony. This year, he had a gourd with a nest and eggs fall off the pole. Eggs were destroyed. Put the gourd back up about five days later. Soon after, had a pair back in the same gourd, laid eggs, and eventually fledged. He’s wondering if it was probably same pair. Just wondering if anyone has known a female to lay a second batch of eggs in same year. Thx for any replies!
brent

Jason,
I had a pair lay a clutch. None hatched and another was laid. The newly laid clutch hatched. So from my experience the answer is yes.
Brent
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

I have only had one experience with a second nest by the same pair of martins.

In 2017, I had an ASY pair lay their first egg on May 18 and fledge 3 nestlings on schedule on July 5th. On July 17, with fledglings still appearing at this nest and after wondering why this adult pair was still active in what should have been an empty nest, I discovered a new egg and eventually a new clutch of 4 eggs were laid. This second clutch hatched on August 3rd and developed normally.Three nestlings from this second nest fledged on August 28th. This hen laid a total of 9 eggs in two nests. She hatched 7 and fledged 6 successfully. This was a long season for this ASY pair.It began with an egg on May 18th and ended with the second nest fledging on August 28th. That makes 102 days not including the days that the nestlings returned after fledging.

Unusual for sure and I have no idea how often this occurs up north. I have read here on the Forum that it is more common in the southern part of the US.

Ed
jason_schwarm

Thank you so much for your reply! I have been trying myself to get an established colony for about 8 yrs now, and have had Martins visit every year. Had 1’st nest two years ago. All fledged. Had another nest last year. Something happened to one of the adults, and nest was abandoned. Happened just after hatching. Had 1 nest again this year, and all fledged. Just can’t get a colony going, but not giving up!!
Hanover Bill
Martin Colony History: 2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72

Seems like I get crossed up at least once every season. This year it was to discover 3 ready to fledge babies this weekend, in a gourd that should have fledged in the middle of July. Obviously this was a re-nest, but don't ask me how this all happened without me knowing it. After I was sure all had fledged I quit paying close attention to individual gourds, not knowing what was going on behind my back, so to speak.

I guess it's a good lesson for all of us. Continue to be aware of what is going on in your housing. There seem to be 3 females sticking around, busy coaxing these babes to fledge. I expect as soon as they do they will all be off to the pre-migratory roost with their friends.

Hanover Bill.
2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72