Got Him! Thankful .22

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is my Mossberg 44US .22LR Training Rifle from WW2. It is in mint condition with original rear peep sight and hooded bead front sight.
It cannot compete at long range with any scoped .22WMR or .17 HMR rifles but how can a vintage training rifle be such a tack driver at 50 yards from an essentially bench rest position?
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
Jones4381
Martin Colony History: Newbie 51 years old and stumbled onto this by accident. Amazing bird. Just wanna help and give/receive happiness and be one with nature. Don't mind shooting an intruder of any kind though. Have a blessed day.

That's awesome! Love to see some pics. I also have my great granddads Winchester 1906-22 short, long, extra long. Single shot great for squirrels and small game they used to forage for dinner. I use .22 shorts in it. Open sights and tiny little gun. Went and dug it out of storage and may play around with it if I see any more SP. haven't shot it in decades as I was chosen to keep it in the family. Don't know when it was made...sometime between 01-1940 but little history was passed down with it as my granddad died in 68 and I was born in 69 and Dad is no longer with me either. I could post a picture but its pretty easy to google and see plenty of pics on this massed produced gun for the poor folks during leaner times. I love this little gun though as the stocks been completely redone recently to make it look as original as it could.
Last edited by Jones4381 on Sun May 24, 2020 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
51 year old HY beginner. Year 1 for me!
Jones4381
Martin Colony History: Newbie 51 years old and stumbled onto this by accident. Amazing bird. Just wanna help and give/receive happiness and be one with nature. Don't mind shooting an intruder of any kind though. Have a blessed day.

4th Gen Martin Fan wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:24 pm
On the opposite end of the spectrum is my Mossberg 44US .22LR Training Rifle from WW2. It is in mint condition with original rear peep sight and hooded bead front sight.
It cannot compete at long range with any scoped .22WMR or .17 HMR rifles but how can a vintage training rifle be such a tack driver at 50 yards from an essentially bench rest position?
love to see photo Sir! Thanks to black jack for his photo too. Quick pic of this little ole rifle. 16" barrel but very accurate with the .22 shorts quite and light as a feather... Anyway thanks for all the shares and bringing back some good memoires.
Attachments
IMG_3584.jpg
IMG_3584.jpg (24.63 KiB) Viewed 960 times
Brad Biddle

Black Jack wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:47 pm
Brad Biddle wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:35 pm
Dang, I've got gun envy...

I have located a CZ 452 with 16" threaded barrel that will be mine before weeks end....
Brad,
Threaded +
Most definitely since I have all the paperwork in to get what screws on the end of it. :grin:
Last edited by Brad Biddle on Sun May 24, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.
Brad Biddle

Duplicate
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.
MarkinMn

savage b22g.png
savage b22g.png (70.9 KiB) Viewed 950 times
[]thumbnail.jpg[/attachment]....Savage b22g....zero'd at 50yds...then fine tuned at 25yds....hour later shot my first starling (with this rifle) at 75yds in the eye......
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg
(156.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Jones4381

MarkinMn wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:53 pm
savage b22g.png[]thumbnail.jpg[/attachment]....Savage b22g....zero'd at 50yds...then fine tuned at 25yds....hour later shot my first starling (with this rifle) at 75yds in the eye......
Nice shot and gun "Deadeye" Markin!
Black Jack

Jones4381 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:06 pm
love to see photo Sir! Thanks to black jack for his photo too. Quick pic of this little ole rifle. 16" barrel but very accurate with the .22 shorts quite and light as a feather... Anyway thanks for all the shares and bringing back some good memoires.
Jones,
For what its worth. the 22 you are showing is a model 1902. The 1906 was a pump action 22.

Regards
Jones4381

Black Jack wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:13 am
Jones4381 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:06 pm
Jones,
For what its worth. the 22 you are showing is a model 1902. The 1906 was a pump action 22.

Regards
Thank you sir. 1902 stand corrected.
Jones4381

Well I've gotten pretty good at identifying birds the last month. Heard that darn chirp chirp chrip sound only a HOSP makes this morning. Later he went after the BB house and spotted him. The BB ran him off...looks like I'm going hunting again. Think I'll use Great Granddaddies varmit gun this time and see how good my shot is with open sites. Loading up the 1902 Winchester....I'll get another photo when I put him down. Good luck to all.
Jones4381

Jones4381 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:41 am
Well I've gotten pretty good at identifying birds the last month. Heard that darn chirp chirp chrip sound only a HOSP makes this morning. Later he went after the BB house and spotted him. The BB ran him off...looks like I'm going hunting again. Think I'll use Great Granddaddies varmit gun this time and see how good my shot is with open sites. Loading up the 1902 Winchester....I'll get another photo when I put him down. Good luck to all.
Splash 2 HOSP! Didn't take long. Perching on the B11 gourds jumping from gourd to gourd...Chirping away to attract female. Getting kinda fun. How many of these males keep replacing the ones shot? Is this everongoing from some of the more experienced landlords in here? Went with Marlin .22 with scope as didn't want to miss and put a hole in one of the B11 gourds....lol.
MarkinMn

hey Jones.....I too have a marlin model 70 .22 with/scope my old bread and butter gun....many starlings and sparrows fell to that Marlin....it was my main goto sniper rifle which I fired from a window in the living room...it was quite the battle because if I missed once, they became extremely cagey.....they would exit even when I quietly slid the window open....after a bit, that Marlin became not so accurate (iguess you have to clean them once in awhile lol).....both t14's have quite a number of battle scars....nothing paint can't fix....."be vigilant, be consistent,...and be safe"...!!
thumbnail.jpg
(144.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

This is getting nit picky but the Male HOSP Call sounds like Cheep, Cheep, Cheep, ...
Now that you can recognize that sound, you are going to hear it everywhere this time of the year, WalMart, Home Improvement Stores, Garden Centers, Grocery Stores, Farm Coops, Grain Elevators,... Outside and Inside. Any place where a HOSP nest can be built and especially where spilled grain or food is present.
It will sound like fingernails on a chalkboard. The only hope for an individual purple martin colony is HOSP do not travel far from their natal site. So if a landlord is persistent, then the number of HOSP invading a colony will begin to diminish over time. It can start out 50-100 HOSPs per year if close to a reliable food source in an urban or suburban area (even a neighbor feeding birds with cheap birdseed) to a few a year away from a food source in a rural setting.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
DeeCee

Love it. Great shot! I've shot dead 3 male house sparrows with my trusty Slavia pellet gun in the last 10 days. The only good one is a dead one. :)