When do SY pairs start nest building?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Rusty_Griswald

I’m a rookie and am wondering when SY’s start nest building. I’ve had a pair staying overnight for a week now but haven’t seen them do much besides check out the holes. They seem to have picked 2 that they like and will sing and sit on the porches but haven’t started nest building yet. They’ve rearranged the pine needles that I’d placed in the cavities but otherwise I haven’t seen them bringing in any of their own nest materials. I scattered more pine needles below the house in case they wanted to start but I haven’t seen them do anything with them yet. The pair has recruited a few other SY’s as well but as far as I can tell only the one pair has been regularly staying all night.
daveh

If you get in the habit of lowering your house every 5-7 days throughout the season, you will know what's going on and when nests are being built. We drop our houses and gourds every 5 days, weather permitting, to make sure everythings ok . The birds get used to us. We drop our houses until the last baby has fledged. We are involved in the Martinwatch program and encourage all to participate. You really get to know your birds and they get to know you as well.

Dave
PMCA member
Rusty_Griswald

daveh wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:38 am
If you get in the habit of lowering your house every 5-7 days throughout the season, you will know what's going on and when nests are being built. We drop our houses and gourds every 5 days, weather permitting, to make sure everythings ok . The birds get used to us. We drop our houses until the last baby has fledged. We are involved in the Martinwatch program and encourage all to participate. You really get to know your birds and they get to know you as well.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I’ve been checking on them about once or twice a week, so pretty close to every 5 days. I just checked this morning and not much has changed since the last check 3 days ago. They’ve organized the needles that I’ve provided but not brought any nest material of their own. I’m sure they will begin any day now. I’ll check again in another 5 days. Thanks again.