Just had a PM killed by starling...

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
starling shooter

got some video and some pics of it.

I saw tree swallows fighting over a gourd for several minutes a couple of days ago or so. When it was over, I said I wished I would have videoed that.

This morn, under my gourd rack (all SREH), I noticed a big fight going on the ground. Figured two PMs. Got my camera going and realized it was a starling. It flew off. PM badly injured could not fly. Hide completely torn away from its breastbone. Mortal wound. This was out in the open and not trapped in a gourd.

I do not have my nest box trap up (im all SREH), but it will be up shortly. Bast@*#s!
BillieJR

I'm so sorry you had to see that happen. I 'm sure you musta been totally shocked to realize it was a starling and not another PM. It's so sad when these things happen. :(
Billie from south central Wisconsin
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.Here late in season seemed to have as many as 18 Pr of nesting birds. Huge upscale in birds from 2019. Will also have a 20 gourd satellite rack prepared for the 2021 season.

Hey shooter sorry to hear about your loss man. I don’t have a starling problem but occasionally one or two will land in the top of a tall pecan tree in the neighbors yard,this past weekend I shot two at around 65 yds each with my .22 ruger. Two shots two kills. Next I shoot im gonna mumble “this for shooter bas...d!!”and squeeze,no escape!
Mike Mack

About three days ago I watched a starling pull a martin out of his cavity causing a badly broke wing. All happened so quick caught me off guard. That bugged me all day. In fact it still be buggin me.
SSMartin

Thanks for sharing this experience. All the more reason to eliminate them regardless if they are breaching your housing.

Just imagine what they do to other native birds.
Brad Biddle

Have you had any Starlings enter your SREH before? There's lots of things that I've never seen nor heard of but I've never heard of a Starling attack that wasn't started inside a compartment. I would think it odd for a Starling just to tie up with a Martin that was sitting on a perch.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.
Steve Kroenke

Brad,

Years ago at one of our satellite martin colonies, Bob and I watched a male starling which could not enter the crescent entrances on one of the houses, walk on the porches and fight with martins. We found one martin we believe he killed on the ground underneath house by pecking the martin's head severely. Then we watched him attack martin and take the martin to the ground. We temporarily frightened the starling away and the martin flew off but appeared to be injured.

Bob wasn't about to let that starling get away with it! So we parked near the martin house in the parking lot and waited. It didn't take long for the starling to come back and perch on top of the house. That was his downfall and down he came with a pellet hole in his chest! We have to be real "discreet" with shooting at our satellite colonies!

So some starlings, particularly males looking for territory, may be aggressive to martins in a house with srehs even though the starlings may not be able enter the entrances. I don't think this happens frequently and that case has been the only one we have seen so far. We have had several situations where starlings were able to squeeze into crescents and actually try to nest. These starlings were not aggressive to the martins that were nesting in the house. All the starlings were shot and never raised any young.

Steve
PMCA Member
300+ pairs of martins each season
Brad Biddle

Interesting. Thanks
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.Here late in season seemed to have as many as 18 Pr of nesting birds. Huge upscale in birds from 2019. Will also have a 20 gourd satellite rack prepared for the 2021 season.

Starling shooter,remember the promise I made ya? Well in the last few days whereas I’ve not had any starling problems all of a sudden there has been a few around trying to go in a separate gourd pole with four large special gourds. I shot one with the shotgun and told him who it was for. Then a long shot with the .22 and he got told also . And today .....THE ULTIMATE... one showed up and lit on the perch of a tall vertical woodpecker gourd and the jumped in. I have a bamboo pole that is about 1 1/2” round. I jumped up ran got it and hauled butt over there and stuck it in the hole and told him “I got your butt now”!!!! So I had my son erect my 14’ ladder went up and stuck a crawfish sack over the gourd removed the pole and shook him out. Man he was freakin tryin to get out that sack! Reached in got him and told him “the shooter sends his love”and SNAPPED HIS FRICKIN NECK!!!!!! Promise made promise kept dawg. Good luck David.
Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged

PMD,

Within 3 days of you joining the Armed forces all terrorism as we know it would cease.

Commander, "Great job in catching those terrorists, PMD."
PMD, "Thank you, Sir!"
Commander, "But I must ask. Why did you let than one go with a broken leg and a broken arm?"
PMD, "So he could go back and tell the rest of them how I trapped his buddies in a crawfish sack, snapped their frikkin necks and threw them in the bayou, Sir."

:lol:

Coolwhips.
PMDavid

You got it whippy ,no Escape! And yep after deceasing it did go in the bayou and I’m certain a gar or turtle ate it. I had a time pokin that bamboo in the hole cause it was too long. I’m gonna shorten it about the five ft. in case I have to use it again. That worked well ,they know when your after em with a gun,and if you move they fly. Sit stealthily and let em go in with pole at side ,and then haul it and poke it in ......game over!
Bmurphy

I have been a landlord at my current location for 16 years and have never had a problem with Starlings......until this year. Two days ago from a distance I notice something black on the ground under my Troyer Gourds so I went to get my binoculars to see exactly what it was and by the time I got back , a Starling was on top of what turned out to be a Martin, continuing to peck him. I made a loud noise and he flew off. I went and picked up the Martin as he was taking a few final breaths. I could not believe what had happened. I was so mad that I was not able to do something sooner. As if that wasn't bad enough, this afternoon as I was going to check my T14 at another location on my property I discovered a martin on the ground dead. I didn't see the Starling but I have been removing their nests they are building in the T14. Now I'm furious. I have the shotgun out but they are really smart and fly off every time I get close....sooner or later I will be successful. I do have a questions I would like to ask. All of my gourds are Troyer gourds with conley II entrance holes and the T14 has some Conley and some Crescent holes. Starlings are entering all of these. Is there a better entrance to use or are the Starlings just getting use to these.

Thanks for letting me vent
Bob
Bmurphy

I have been a landlord at my current location for 16 years and have never had a problem with Starlings......until this year. Two days ago from a distance I notice something black on the ground under my Troyer Gourds so I went to get my binoculars to see exactly what it was and by the time I got back , a Starling was on top of what turned out to be a Martin, continuing to peck him. I made a loud noise and he flew off. I went and picked up the Martin as he was taking a few final breaths. I could not believe what had happened. I was so mad that I was not able to do something sooner. As if that wasn't bad enough, this afternoon as I was going to check my T14 at another location on my property I discovered a martin on the ground dead. I didn't see the Starling but I have been removing their nests they are building in the T14. Now I'm furious. I have the shotgun out but they are really smart and fly off every time I get close....sooner or later I will be successful. I do have a questions I would like to ask. All of my gourds are Troyer gourds with conley II entrance holes and the T14 has some Conley and some Crescent holes. Starlings are entering all of these. Is there a better entrance to use or are the Starlings just getting use to these.

Thanks for letting me vent
Bob
deancamp

Bmurphy, there are threads going on right now telling how to modify the Conley 2. Check out the thread The Lewis Mod. and OMG, OMG,OMG it just happened to me.
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Bmurphy,
I am so sorry to hear about European Starlings breaching your Conley II and Crescent SREH.
As deancamp has stated, others have had problems with European Starlings breaching these SREH. In 2012, Mr. Lewis faced this problem and came up with a solution that is called the Lewis Modification.
I would recommend you check out these current Forum topics:
https://www.purplemartin.org/forum/view ... =2&t=36059
https://www.purplemartin.org/forum/view ... 0&start=60
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
Bmurphy

deancamp wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:12 pm
Bmurphy, there are threads going on right now telling how to modify the Conley 2. Check out the thread The Lewis Mod. and OMG, OMG,OMG it just happened to me.
Thanks for the help.

Bob
Bmurphy

4th Gen Martin Fan wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:32 pm
Bmurphy,
I am so sorry to hear about European Starlings breaching your Conley II and Crescent SREH.
As deancamp has stated, others have had problems with European Starlings breaching these SREH. In 2012, Mr. Lewis faced this problem and came up with a solution that is called the Lewis Modification.
I would recommend you check out these current Forum topics:
https://www.purplemartin.org/forum/view ... =2&t=36059
https://www.purplemartin.org/forum/view ... 0&start=60
Thanks for your help. I guess I need to get back to checking out the forum on a regular basis. When I first started trying to attract Martins, I was on the forum daily and it was so helpful.

Thanks Again
Bob