Troyer Tunnel Door Stops

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
BillieJR

Is this something new? I don't recall seeing them in the past.

Anyways - how do they work? I mean - do they slide on somehow?

Thanks
Billie from south central Wisconsin
jhcox
Martin Colony History: Started colony in 2014. First pair to stay and raise young in 2018.

Hey BillieJR you can buy them on amazon or from the PMCA if you have the SREH or crescent entrance they just snap in. Or you can get the long round pool noodles. You just cut off a section about 1 to 1 1/2 in thick then cut it half so you have 2 pieces that are C shaped and you can fit them into the crescent entrances. the only problem is the noodle piece will start to come apart over time. Hope this helps have great PM season. JHCox Heiskell TN
BillieJR

It does help, thanks, JHCox! :)
Billie from south central Wisconsin
John Barrow

Billie JR,
Great product. Been around for several years. A plastic slide designed just like the metal trapping mechanism and can be substituted for the metal piece if you want. The value is that they cover the entire entrance discouraging unwanted investigation. I use them on all of my Troyer gourds during the off season and recommend them to folks I mentor for Troyer gourds. I have had a lot of gourd entrances destroyed by woodpeckers and the door stop has ended that. If all you want to do is keep birds out, the cheapest way to that is to buy a piece of pipe insulation of any size and cut it into 5 inch pieces and stick it in the middle of the entrance. No bird will get in around it. The Troyer slides work well for their gourd tunnels and are inexpensive. They are completely different from pool noodles and other other do it yourself blocks.
~~TEAMED WITH A MARTIN GODDESS~~

Member/Mentor-PMCA. I do regular nestchecks and participate in PROJECT MARTINWATCH!! Coordinated 3 geolocator studies-2009, 2010 & 2013. State and Fed licensed bander (retired Jan., 2020)