Louisiana-maybe a first pair

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
deancamp

Re: Louisiana-maybe a first pair

Postby deancamp » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:49 am

I agree and have heard others say that if you attract an ASY male, he will start your colony. Give him time and hang in there.

Jeff

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 6 pair.

Postby PMDavid » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:00 am

Hey Lowe, yes I believe she has been stolen away,however as I said the male did return last night. The neighbors house is close enough that I can look down there across three 2 acre yards and see his houses. Right now it’s 8:50 and there are two ASY males sitting on two different houses here in my yard resting,they poke around and look in this hole and that hole ,they’ve even landed on a few of the gourd perches and looked in. So who knows. Do you think given my such southerly location that the subs have passed through or what? I’m in central la. (Alexandria La.) we leave early for work and return late so a lot of all this daily stuff I never see except when I’m home on Saturday and sundays. The wife goes to work some days at noon and always says they all come down in the mornings and hang out and circle and land and look,come and go.

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 6 pair.

Postby PMDavid » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:27 am

And now that I’m home long enough to watch,going in and out of several different gourds,and one male went in and stayed about twenty minutes just resting,and the other male sittin on the perch on a gourd for a while.

Robert

Postby Robert » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:28 pm

PMDavid hang in there the SYs have not passed you yet it is still early in your season , my colony started with six gourds three ASY males and two SY females and one ASY female .
Robert , South Carolina
PMCA member
38 year PM landlord
2018 season
21 pairs 107 eggs 99 fledged

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:38 pm

Thanks dean ,rob,and Lowe. Keepin the hope alive man......after last post this morning there were the same three visitor males from the neighbors down here and two got in gourds and one in a house and just all hung out for about 45 minutes. Sitting inside lookin out and chatterin,they’d fly off for a minute then back again . It was cold this morning and it looked like they were just restin and keepin warm. I thought they might be trying to attract a female by leavin and comin right back but there were none in the area. They usually mock dive and cackle and sing different when they ar doin that,I think this was just small talk daytime chatter among themselves. Won’t be long and I’ll be out till dark to see what this evening brings. Y’all keep an eye on me. Thanks all. David

flyin-lowe

Postby flyin-lowe » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:14 pm

You have plenty of time for SY's. There has on,y been one reported in Florida so the will begin flowing your way before too long and they will be migrating north for months.
2019- Currently 31 complete nests with 10 babies hatched and 95 eggs. (6/9)
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:16 am

Thanks Lowe, the one ASY male came home again last night . It’s 8:10 am right now so in about an hour ther will be several down here for their morning social bug session and mornin rest. Report tonight on the male.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:24 am

Well..... the ASY male continues to come home every night! All by himself since his female was lured away. And he wonders why I named him “the nut” I’m just glad he’s there,maybe he’ll find a new love!

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:47 pm

Well it’s been a few days since a post......new news though. The one ASYmale has continued to leave the group three houses down every afternoon at bed time and come down here. The female he had a week or so ago got lured away. But......I had pretty well resolved that most all SY’s had passed on by and today I went out this morning and there sit two females and two males! It was way earlier than the others normal morning social time. Then all day long when you usually wouldn’t see any at the same four came and went every few minutes and never left the area. Landing on the houses and gourds and going in and out of different ones. They’d go make a little fly around and be gone for 15-30 minutes then all return again. The males were singing a lot evertime they would come back ,so I sat there watching at dark and all four returned and stayed. One pair in a gourd and one pair in a house! You can tell by the chest on the females as well as their sizes that they are SY females. Now if the males from down the way don’t lure these away I may get going!! I’m super excited to see what tomorrow and the next week brings with this. Say a prayer for me and cross your fingers!!

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:53 pm

I would guess your colony has started. The Nut is going to make it happen for you. Fingers crossed.
Jeff

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:36 pm

Thanks dean ,I sure hope so! The one other female a few weeks ago stayed around 4 nights and was lured away by the boys three houses down,let’s hope these don’t turn out that way. We’ll see what the up coming days bring. I’m hopin for the best. Will update

Archer
Martin Colony History: six pair in 2014, have grown to 52 pairs in 2017.

Postby Archer » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:48 am

Happy for you PMDavid. You can't tell as SY from an ASY by looking at the chest. You need to look lower, the bottom of the tail form a triangle shape. Asy have dark feathers in this area and sy have white feathers. sy sometimes have a pin strip in each feather, but the main color is white. Check out the following link. Sy on the left, Asy on the right. https://www.purplemartin.org/purple-mar ... s-profile/
2011- first year trying, a few visitors.
2012-One ASY pair, raised two young, lots of subby visitors. So thankfull.
2013-daily subby visits.
2014-Six SY pairs
2015-18 pair, 83 fledglings
2016-36 pair, 147 fledglings
2017-52 pairs, 192 fledglings.
2018-60 pair, 246 fledglings.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:27 pm

Yes sir Archer, I’ve been doing my studying.......the ASY has all the marked feathers on the bottom half and a SY is just predominately un marked and very light on the bottom half,easily spotted in the air right overhead. They all sit about 40 ft. from me and I scope em out with the binoculars to make a good assessment. And there is a difference in the tail to wing length on the two. Man I’m sure hopin they stay. They seem to kinda locked in,but they are birds and there is a colony three houses down with some loose very persistent males. But so far these two pairs for two days now have been coming and going and hanging together so I’m sure prayin they stay ! Thanks ........update after dark as to their return. I hope to have as many pair as you one day,and would like to be able to convert to all gourds one of these days. For now though I’ll be happy with even a few pair for a start towards a goal of a bunch of pairs. One step at a time.............

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:02 pm

Well...... it’s black dark and both pairs went in and stayed in . We had touch down at 7:35. All is well so far . I think at this point in the game I may can declare “my first two pair”!!! I’m stoked over it all man. The pair in the gourd on the rack are gettin the going in deal down really good ,this evening they went in exactly together so close it looked like one was holdin on to the others tail feathers! One slick black blurr and never slowed down ,and bloop they were in.COOL ! Update after dark tomorrow.....keep “us” in your thoughts please. David

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:38 pm

Well the two pair touched down again and I have a fifth bird looked like a small sized sy male. He was hangin around the other four at their last of light soar around pre landing. They all went in and he stayed out making several dives I guess trying to figure out exactly which house or gourd he was going to get in. Then he finally went in a gourd on the rack. We will see what tomorrow holds. I saw the update on the “this week in migration” about all the hundreds spotted coming in from the gulf and now extra excited over the possibilities to come from that. I’m having a blast with all this!

flyin-lowe

Postby flyin-lowe » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:58 pm

Good luck and hopefully they stick around. Like I have said before, an ASY male can draw in a crowd.
2019- Currently 31 complete nests with 10 babies hatched and 95 eggs. (6/9)
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:26 pm

Hey there Lowe.... you were right . It seems I have two pair and now a fifth one. You said the subs were coming and that the “nut”would find some company. I guess they get out and know it’s a new bird when they em. They were gone the last two afternoons till time to come home, it today they were around at 3:30 when I got home and I thought I saw that small male then. And then they all left again and at dark ,guess what there he was and roosted with em! I may end up with no tellin how many this year! Who knows .we’ll see . Thanks for your info and advice along the way.

Doug Martin - PA
Martin Colony History: First pair in 2009 after 28 years of trying. 3 pairs 2010, 17 pairs 2011 and 35-45 pairs since. Many additional colonies are now springing up around mine in an area once completely void of Martins. I offer 50 compartments at my site consisting of primarily Excluder II gourds on Gemini racks. Also a wooden T-14. I utilize electric fence type predator guards on the base of the poles. Supplemental feeding is crucial in maintaining my colony. I platform feed throughout the season as needed. My site tends to be a stop over point for additional birds as they migrate further north.

Postby Doug Martin - PA » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:37 am

When I think back to when I started my colony(finally) those were the best times ever.

It is very interesting when you can still tell who all the players are on your new team. So cool to see more and more join in once those first few show interest.

You are off to a great start this season and it looks super promising for quite a few pairs at your site.

Sounds like they are locked in now pending any negative occurrences. Just do your best to keep them safe and happy. Get out there and get to know them too.

Doug
Supplemental feeding plays a major role in western Pennsylvania. Finally got my 1st pair in 2009 after 28 years of effort. 3 pairs in 2010. 17 pairs in 2011. 35 pairs and 150 young in 2012 & 2013. Plus a new 22 pair colony right down the road from me.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:59 am

Hey Doug,man this is like Christmas or something! I’m anxious all day at work and can’t hardly get home quick enough to see what may have un folded each day. Whether it’s to see my pairs to bed or see if they’ve found and brought home some new ones! With that report from Corpus Christi yesterday ain’t no telling what may go on the next few days to week,very excited,and anxious. Can’t wait till touchdown time tonight to see if that extra male from yesterday is a migrant passin through or a new member. By the way ,he appears a bit smaller than the rest but is not a barn swallow . He swooped through the houses several times making Martin sounds so he is a Martin,just smaller. Is there such a thing as a runt in the Martin world? Also heard him calling up in the air when all the others went inside,definitely Martin. Maybe late hatch last year and just hasn’t filled out ?

Doug Martin - PA
Martin Colony History: First pair in 2009 after 28 years of trying. 3 pairs 2010, 17 pairs 2011 and 35-45 pairs since. Many additional colonies are now springing up around mine in an area once completely void of Martins. I offer 50 compartments at my site consisting of primarily Excluder II gourds on Gemini racks. Also a wooden T-14. I utilize electric fence type predator guards on the base of the poles. Supplemental feeding is crucial in maintaining my colony. I platform feed throughout the season as needed. My site tends to be a stop over point for additional birds as they migrate further north.

Postby Doug Martin - PA » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:06 am

It's way better than Christmas. lol Last a lot longer too.

Yes there are some smaller ones. They come in all shapes and sizes.

I had a little fellow start my colony. He returned for 8 years to the same gourd. He was a hell of a salesman though. He did a great job of inviting new birds in.

I have also seen where a founding male will actually chase others away.

They each have their own personality. That's what make this hobby so fascinating. Make some notes (a journal) each day as to what happens and note the weather. It is a great thing to review during the winter and as you enter next season.

Doug
Supplemental feeding plays a major role in western Pennsylvania. Finally got my 1st pair in 2009 after 28 years of effort. 3 pairs in 2010. 17 pairs in 2011. 35 pairs and 150 young in 2012 & 2013. Plus a new 22 pair colony right down the road from me.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”