Bird netting

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
philsand

Is it legal to kill snakes entangled in bird netting? I am going to try taping or tying clear plastic over a baffle, let in hang all around like a "skirt", and place a second baffle over the first to help secure the plastic and provide hard to climb surface. Looking for a non-lethal solution.
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

I have heard of no laws prohibiting the killing of snakes. It's just that I don't like to kill anything. But, when I have a colony full of 300 + PM nestlings and a Texas Rat Snake gets caught in my snake netting, he may get cut loose, bucketed and hauled several miles down the bayou and released or he may get shot. Depends on how many we have dealt with that season. Last year after 8 we stopped releasing. I don't think they are an endangered species around here. Enough was enough. I had one little snake that managed to crawl through the netting and devour 5 nests of eggs and hatchlings before I found him. They can be so destructive to your colony. And you don't even know they are there. So sad! Do whatever it takes to keep the snakes out of your housing. :twisted:

And perform your regular nest checks. That's how I originally discovered I truly had a snake problem. Eye opening experience! :shock:
Sincerely,
Laverne
philsand

Do you see any possibility the plastic would deter them?
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

I don't think any sheet of plastic will stop a snake. The only reason the netting works is because they crawl into it and their thicker body becomes stuck. Use bird/snake netting. I think I am using 1 inch mesh. It will stop your average constricting predator. But, some are smaller. So, maybe a 1/2 inch tutu with a 1" above or below it. That might work better. Good luck.
Sincerely,
Laverne
John Miller

I recommend a standard stove pipe cylinder guard at least 7 inches, but larger may be better. Some people have good luck with slick sewer pipe. On a stove pipe guard, wobbling helps thwart raccoons, and the guard top should be at least 4 feet off the ground so a raccoon cannot hop to the top. Above the guard, I recommend a fluffy wad of 3/4 inch netting...fluffed out to at least baskeball size. I attach with a bungee. It can serve as a backup should a snake get past the cylinder. Large snakes can "reach" out several feet to get a snake hold and proceed on up....you can't be too cautious, but I try to make the netting the last resort, so placing it above the cylinder.
~Ray~Gingerich

My favorite is electric, never had a problem with anything crawling up the poles. I run underground electric fence wire from pole to pole.
~Ray~ Gingerich
1999 1pair, 2006 2 pair, 2008 2 pair,
2009 23 pair, 2010 39 pair, 2011 67 pair,
2012 115 pair, 2013 160 pair,
2014 152 pair, 2015 174 pair, 2016 178 pair
2017 187 pair, 2018 200 pair, 2019 171pair
2020 233 pair
Luv Ya Purple
Martin Colony History: 2012 - 2014 - 0 pair
2015 - 1 pair
2016 - 5 pairs

What John Miller and ~Ray~ said. Electric guards are probably the best. Metal duct aka stove pipe guard with netting work well. I would go with the 8" or even 10" diameter duct.
Rodger Drye
Martin Colony History: Have been hosting and providing a sanactuary for Purple Martins for 30 years.

You can buy nice Aluminum Quick Release predator Guards from the PMCA. I use 3/4" standard Bird Netting to capture any and all Snakes. I wrap mine loosely around the bottom of the Pole. They are very effective against the Black Snakes we have around here. I caught 5 Black Snakes in the netting ( one as big around as a Pepsi Can and just shy of 7 feet ). And 1 in my Uncle Blain's Sparrow trap. He slipped in through a crack in the access Door, ate his Bird then was to big to Exit. I destroy all Snakes. Hauling them off may eliminate your immediate problem but it will only cause a problem for someone else.

After my Vietnam experience I don't have the desire to kill anything.!! I do make a few exceptions. Anything that hurts or bothers my Bird's is on the list - thus Snakes.!!! They all meet the Grim Reaper.!!!
If you are serious about these Bird's, you will have to eliminate any thing and all things that would do harm to your Colony.!!
If you don't you're just blowing Smoke and you'll never have a successful Colony.!!!!! Your Bird's will Tell You!!!!!
Rodger
PMCA Member
Have been Hosting and Protecting Martin's for 30 years.
philsand

The reason I am struggling with the snake issue is that I am donating a starter gourd system at our local community garden. That garden is being used to teach the local kids. There is a potential plan to let them grow gourds and learn to modify them to be safe for martins. Because we are teaching kids we are stuck with monitoring and cleaning out invader nests. And using bird netting is out. I am rethinking my plastic idea. Use two squirrel guards, separated by about one foot. Tape or Tie a clear dry-cleaning bag over the top guard and let the second one hold the bag out like a skirt. I can not visualize how the snake would get around that limber bag. I did not accumulate a lot of tools in my working years so home made stuff is out. I value any comment
philsand

Referring to last post: Plus add some small weights.