Excluder Gourds with EGM entrance

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
ken buker
Martin Colony History: Started backyard colony at Silver lake in June 2004 with single pair of SY martins. Built a nest, no eggs, they left by late July. Returned 2005 and colony grew to three pair successfully raising and fledging 15 healthy young. In 2018 this colony was 110 pair strong and thriving. Managed a small colony along the lower Columbia river west of Longview, WA for a few years prior to starting my colony at Silver Lake.

Hi Everyone,

It's been awhile since I've posted to the forum but learned long ago there is no better place to ask for feedback and information. Just purchased a dozen Excluder gourds for this season and would like to know how other colonies have accepted them. My colony was 85 pair strong last season with an offering of 97 cavities. This year I am replacing 12 of my older natural gourds for a couple of reasons, but this is the first time trying the Excluder.

The season is just getting started here in the Pacific Northwest, but I observed the earliest noticed arrival date at my colony since it's inception in 2004.

The weather has been warmer and drier than usual and there are martins showing up daily. So far however I have only put up about 50% of my cavities. Though I've seen interest in the Excluders, I can't say I've noticed a martin enter one. One thing is the porch is much lower below the entrance than other gourds in my variety of offerings. I purchased and attached owl guards to each gourd and am wondering if I should remove them until the birds get accustom to the porch/entrance and then install them later.

Granted they have only been out for a couple weeks so maybe I am just being impatient.

Comments and sharing of others experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Ken Buker - Silver Lake, WA
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

hi Ken, good to have an update from the NW coast. Do you mean the Excluder Gourd with modified entrance? That's the easiest one for martins to enter. I got Excluder II entrances for public site here and the martins use them readily - I moved the porches up snug to bottom of entrance, that works best.
Attachments
excluder gourd entrance options
excluder gourd entrance options
Screen Shot 2015-04-17 at 5.03.02 PM.png (249.28 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
John Miller

I use them at several public colonies and martins use them readily. I set the porches about one-eighth inch below the low dip in excluder II entrances. that said, a recent poster here from Kentucky is having trouble getting his two or three pairs to enter -- had been several days and I'm not sure outcome. He finally put some round hole gourds back up. But martins use mine fine -- probably have 50 or more up at various public colonies around St. Louis.

That said, I have read that western martins are very slightly heavier* and may be something to consider. Maybe the openings could be opened about 1/32 of an inch and would be enough to let them in okay and still keep out starlings if the porches are placed high. Folks in your area will know better.

* http://www.purplemartin.org/forumarchives/interest.htm

John M
Last edited by John Miller on Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ken buker
Martin Colony History: Started backyard colony at Silver lake in June 2004 with single pair of SY martins. Built a nest, no eggs, they left by late July. Returned 2005 and colony grew to three pair successfully raising and fledging 15 healthy young. In 2018 this colony was 110 pair strong and thriving. Managed a small colony along the lower Columbia river west of Longview, WA for a few years prior to starting my colony at Silver Lake.

Hi Louise,

You are correct, the Modified EGM entrance. I will take the suggestion about moving the porches up. That makes sense to me, at least on a couple and see what happens. As a followup, do you have the owl guards, and did moving the porch up impact their installation? I might also just wait awhile and see how things go. I have learned the birds are pretty adapt at doing whatever they need to do provided they can get through the entrance and that does not sound like a problem. I love the depth and shape of the gourd and I'm anxious to see how they work.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Ken
baileysambone

Ken,
I have 4 excluder gourds underneath both of my houses. All with crescent entrances and my martins seem to like them fine.
I did move the porches up on all of them because starlings can breech them if given enough time to try.
I love the inside outside porches. The martins stay on the inside porch in the gourd and have a look out.
Yvonne
2011 visitors
2012 1 pair ASY male, SY female 9 eggs, 8 hatched, fledged 5
2013 5 pairs fledged 8
2014 4 pairs fledged 15
2015 7 pairs fledged 25
2016 10 pairs fledged 31
2017 17 pairs fledged 69
2018 18 pairs fledged 69
2019 21 pairs fledged 52 (biting gnats lost babies)