Putting pvc elbows in gourds for air flow!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

I have 12 gourds to put pvc elbows on for air flow. Is there any thing special I need to know before I take a hole bit to an expensive gourd. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
Sharon from southern Illinois
~Ray~Gingerich

Use a variable speed drill and start out slow, if you drill to fast the plastic tends to melt and hang up inside the hole saw and on the teeth. You can make a large cross with a grease pencil to help keep it centered.
~Ray~ Gingerich
1999 1pair, 2006 2 pair, 2008 2 pair,
2009 23 pair, 2010 39 pair, 2011 67 pair,
2012 115 pair, 2013 160 pair,
2014 152 pair, 2015 174 pair, 2016 178 pair
2017 187 pair, 2018 200 pair, 2019 171pair
2020 233 pair
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

For large holes, be careful if you use a spade bit (the flat bits), they sure can jerk the gourd.

I usually use a bit with the teeth in a circle, its much easier (its called hole saw bit). The hole saw bits have a small starter bit in the center, makes it much easier to control. I would recommend the hole saw bit for your case. If you measure the outside of the pvc elbow, then purchase a hole saw bit that is almost the exact size but slightly larger. After you drill the hole, the pvc remains inside the bit, you must pry it out before you drill the next hole.

If you drill a small hole, then a regular bit works fine.
Attachments
hole saw bit
hole saw bit
IMG_0945 (480x640).jpg (73.97 KiB) Viewed 3483 times
Last edited by Emil Pampell-Tx on Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
John Miller

I prefer the threaded PVC elbows. Note that if it says 3/4 inch, it's one inch on the outside diameter. ...test hold it in position related to the hanging arm location so you don't intersect. As Emil says, the gourd may move. I put mine on a narrow work bench wedged against a notch on one side and my belly on the other. One guy I know uses a drill press. Some people rest the gourd in the top of a five gallon bucket, with a home-made sponge edge to the bucket top of pipe insulation.
daveh

I agree with John. The 3/4 inch threaded elbow is the way to go. Drill the hole, screw in the elbow with a little silicone or Lexel on the threads. Add a little silicone or lexel around elbow to seal with gourd and it's done. Like John said be sure and keep it away from the hanging arm. You don't want the arm to hit elbow on inside of gourd.

Also, if you have Troyer vertical gourds, the 4 covered vents around neck work great. I drill all 4 in an upward angle so that water drips out not in. No need for elbows on these.

I agree with Emil about using a hole saw with a drill guide bit in the middle. It's a lot easier to control.

dave
PMCA member
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Thank you all. I appreciate it. :)
Dave I went and looked at the troyer vertical and I see what you are talking about thanks that will save me money. I will only need 6 elbows.
taxidermy lady

Dave what size hole do you drill under vents?
daveh

I use a 1/4 inch bit and drill all four vents.

dave
PMCA member
taxidermy lady

Ok thank you very much!
I will give that a try!
Thanks for the picture Emil. :)
daveh

Sharon, since we are talking gourds I was wondering how you hang them? My gourds were always wet if I ran wire or arms thru the holes on the gourds. Now my gourds have copper pipe caulked into the holes and wire or hanging arms go thru the pipe. My nests stay much drier now. I used copper because I had it but I think pvc pipe would work also.

dave
PMCA member
taxidermy lady

I hung mine on the rod through the gourd hole. But I had no martins nest in them. I would check my pre-nest material after a rain and they were dry. But we did not have rain for days either. I am sure lots of rain day after day will soak the nest. I seen that when they were talking about it and I may just go ahead and do it while working on them. Thanks Dave
klcretired

Hi Sharon,
I use a 1" speedbor Bit , which after drilled out The hole fits a 3/4" Threaded 90 Degree Elbo Perfectly....you can screw in the elbo easily and the fit is very tight you don't even need silicone to seal off for Leaks but I do use the silicone myself just to be sure. I purchased my Speedbors Bits at Home depot. drill out your holes at the top of each gourd, I myself use 4 3/4" 90 degree screw in Elbo's on each Gourd.

Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
taxidermy lady

Thanks K.C. I have a set like that. I know they are great for countersinking into wood. I use them a lot in the shop. 4 per gourd would make efficient air flow! Thank you :)
John Miller

You can use a spade bit, but it really bounces around in plastic and requires firmly holding the gourd, and a light touch on the drill. Have done many that way but now suggest a rotary bit. John
klcretired

I am looking for a picture to Post showing all 4 3/4" 90 Degree Elbo's Mounted at the very top of My Gourds . as soon as I find it I will post for you. If you need me for anything you can email me at klcretired@tx.rr.com
Your Martin Friend,
Kenny

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
klcretired

Pictures using 4 3/4" Threaded 90 degree Elbo's at the Top of My Super Gourds , also I have added a Tunnel w/ Wide Porch which helps the babies to eat better and the Parents to feed them easier

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
taxidermy lady

Oh yeah, that looks like great air flow. I have my elbows on my list. I will be getting the threaded kind. Will try each bit I have. Will post a picture when I get one done so you all can grade my work. Give me time, my busy time of year is coming soon. :shock:
~Ray~Gingerich

I did mine a little different since I had 150 gourds to vent. It would have cost me at least $150.00 or more with the threaded vents. I did the job for much less with regular elbows which I bought in contractor packs of 20 and a tube of PL adhesive. I drilled my holes with a hole saw then using a plastic knife with the tip narrowed down smeared adhesive around the hole edges and some around one end of the elbow plus a little dab under the elbow where it meets the gourd. After inserting the elbow I finished the seam off with little dabs of adhesive and smoothed it out. I layed out a bead of adhesive on wax paper and picked up what I needed with the knife. I spent maybe $25.00- $30.00 on materials. After everything was glued in and dry I used an artist brush and painted inside the elbows with dark green paint to cut light reflextion into the gourd.
~Ray~ Gingerich
1999 1pair, 2006 2 pair, 2008 2 pair,
2009 23 pair, 2010 39 pair, 2011 67 pair,
2012 115 pair, 2013 160 pair,
2014 152 pair, 2015 174 pair, 2016 178 pair
2017 187 pair, 2018 200 pair, 2019 171pair
2020 233 pair
taxidermy lady

I thank everyone for taking the time to post there talents and pictures. Has gave mea great image on what steps to take! Appreciate all of you! :)
klcretired

a Job well done Sharon, The Vents look good and will help cool off the martins , The reason I use 4 elbo's per gourd is because it gets really Really Hot here in Texas and b-4 I did this many years ago I always had jumpers so installing the Elbo's stopped My Jumper problem. Maybe later when you see which gourds are used by the martins you can add more elbo's to those gourds while the Martins are out foraging for food, it only takes a few seconds to install them per gourd. Good Luck this upcoming Martin Year.

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com