My Hurt Bird

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
bluetick

This is the Bird I posted had hurt wing over a week ago. I put him in another gourd with younger birds and he stayed for a couple days and they feed him but then he got to jumping out every day. I couldn't believe it. I put this bowl of water there and egg pieces and he started eating and drinking like a baby chick. I didn't think he would eat or drink. I have more pictures to show. Dave
He would get on this stump and talk to the birds so I put him a house there.
I know there is a chance something may get him at night there but he can go and come in the gourd there with out using his wing. My martins are doing great except this one. I have about 80 coming back to the gourds at night now and it's some thing to watch. Dave
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Ahh you are doing your best. He seems content. :grin:
Sharon from southern Illinois
bluetick

I call my bird Samantha ( I really don't know if she is male or female ) is still doing good. She got up in one of the thick Blue Spruse trees last night and I couldn't see her to put her in the gourd. This morning she was down for her eggs and a drink. I tried meal worms but she don't seem to want them but she likes the egg. She will eat 3 pieces and then get a drink. She seems to be getting better. She works her wings all the time. I hope that she will fly again soon.
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Great news. She may take off any day, good luck! :)
klcretired

Excellent job Dave
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
baileysambone

Dave,
Was just checking on the status of your hurt bird. Did she make it ?
Yvonne
2011 visitors
2012 1 pair ASY male, SY female 9 eggs, 8 hatched, fledged 5
2013 5 pairs fledged 8
2014 4 pairs fledged 15
2015 7 pairs fledged 25
2016 10 pairs fledged 31
2017 17 pairs fledged 69
2018 18 pairs fledged 69
2019 21 pairs fledged 52 (biting gnats lost babies)
pmlover

I hope your baby makes it dave.
Your doing a great job
Dick
2015 69 pairs 418 eggs 396 fledged
2019 I have 148 openings now
2016 100 pairs 600 babies fledged added another t-14 and have 126 openings now
2015 Jun 24 360 babies and 58 eggs also found one that had died
2017 632 babies 11died and 20 were killed by hawks
2015 74 pairs and 9 eggs 5/14
2010 3pairss
]JOINED PMCA JUNE 6,2018
2018 651 babies 5 hawk kills 11 floater kills 25 died in houses and 610 fledged

2014 80 pairs 283 babies 282 fledged one died
William A

Good work Dave with the hurt bird. Please post an update. Good Luck
bluetick

Samantha is gone. On the 18th I had just gave her some egg for the evening and went to work in the garden. I looked up there to the stump that she sit on and she was standing there. About 8:20 I looked up there and she had went up into one of the Blue Spruce trees that I had planted there before I got Martins. We keep them trimed real low and when they get a little bigger they will be cut because of my Martins. When I went up to the house I tried to find her and put her in her gourd but the blue spruce trees are so thick and I didn't see which one she went in. So I left her there. I had done this before. The next morning she would always come down. I fixed her Breakfast on Sat. Morning and she never showed. That night I sit in my garage with a dim light on waiting to see what came back to the trees as a nest of baby ground sparrows were also gone. That night about 10:30 a Skunk came checking the pines. I didn't know skunks would eat birds but I would say that one will not again. I set traps there for 4 more days and nothing else ever showed up. So I believe the skunk got Sam and the ground sparrows. My wife and I fell in Love with Sam and this old Bluetick Man misses her. She had got so she could fly about 4 feet and was getting better. My wife got on me for not catching her and putting her in the gourd earlier. Guess I am not perfect but any thing that kills a martin here had better not return. Nuff Said. Bluetick Dave P.S. I will post one last picture of Sam in a blue spruce when I come back from lunch. I don't have my camera here.
Matt F.

Dave,
It sounds like, thanks to you, Samantha could have been strong enough to have flown up and and away.
taxidermy lady

Yeah I can't imagine the skunk eating her unless she was laying on the ground. They just root for grubs in my yard. I hope she's flying!
bluetick

The last picture I took 3 days before she came up missing.
We will always remember the first pair we had in 2012. SY birds and they raised 3 young and we have a lot of pictures of the five together.Last year on April 4 our first pair of ASY birds came and we took a picture of them and made a Christmas card of them with them sitting on the Super Gourd's porch. But we will never forget Sam as she learned to eat egg first and then meal worms and drink from a bowl just like a baby chick. She would jump up on the side of the bowl and drink. She would even try to take a bath in the bowl. I will say this we combed the ground under the pines and never found one feather. I looked all over where something could have taken her into the weeds and no feathers. That night on the 19th there was a bird having trouble lighting on the perch and falling down on the gourds and then it flew over to another gourd rack and finely went in side. My wife thought it might be Sam as she was starting to fly better. I don't know but we can only hope. We didn't get up that morning until 8:15 and I always feed Sam at 6:45 before I went to work. Maybe it was her we can hope. I told my wife that baby ground sparrows leave the nest a lot sooner than martins and she had been watching them for over a week so maybe they just left and Sam did fly up to the gourds that day. Their nest was still there as if nothing happened to them. I really don't know if Samantha was a male or female that's why I named the bird that because the name works both ways. I hope Sam is flying as she had a disire to live and I had a desire to see that she had a chance. Bluetick Dave
taxidermy lady

Dave that is a wonderful recovery job! Your Sam's hero forever :grin:
bluetick

I hope that Sam is one of the ones flying. Got two new 16ft. poles and 24 gourds yesterday that I will have up by this week end Sharon so my birds will know I mean business for next year. This year I fledged 70 so far counting Sam and have 6 more to go. I am putting the units up so the birds will know the new housing is there. Bristol Ridge Colony has came a long way since one pair in 2012. Bluetick Dave
klcretired

Hi Dave,
Glad you purchased more poles and Gourds...pretty soon you are going to have a Super Colony!!!!Keep on...keepin on brother!!!! More Power to Ya
your martin Friend
Kenny
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
taxidermy lady

Yeah that's great, I feel the martins know you will be there for them!

:grin: I love hearing all about everyone's stories!
birdy girl

Dave I sure hope Sam made it and comes back to your place next year. It is so amazing how these sweet birds wins our hearts and how much we do for these sweeties. You did a great job taking care of Sam. Such a sweet story of you and Sam. We are all going to be so lost when all martins leave our colonies for their southward journey.