Looking ahead to 2015 Season- recommendations please

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
msalcido

Now that all my martins have fledged and they will be leaving soon, I'm starting to prepare for next season. One of the houses I have is a S & K Plastic house that has seen its last season. I'm starting to shop for a new one for next season.

I wanted a trendsetter but had no idea they are so expensive? Why is that?

Anyways I'd like to hear others thoughts on which is a good solid house to use. I also have a 6 gourd rack and an eight room Northstar with four gourds under it. I'm going to add 6 more gourds to the rack so don't want another gourd rack. Also, want to stay away from plastic.

Recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike

Fifth season of being a landlord! :) and a PMCA member!
John Miller

The Trendsetters are made of a heavier gauge of aluminum and pre-assembled. Should last forever -- at least I hope for my martin career as I've got about six in public sites. I worry these get pretty hot, but most housing does.

You might look at the Coates aluminum housing. They're not bad. I'd put wing guards on the crescents, and the interior wall hole at two inches -- if that's still what they use -- needs to be cut larger to prevent entrapment. I'd also overlay the subfloor with something to further elevate. (But other than that Mrs. Lincoln how did you like the play?) They are good, attractive houses. We have used two for a decade now on a multi-house pole at Forest Park in St. Louis.

John M
Anthony Neira
Martin Colony History: Started in 1992 From neighbors old 1950-60's colonies. Have 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 4 MPP Poles, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals ,& 2 S&K 11" WITH Troyer Porches ready for 2019 Season !

Mike, if you have a pole that lowers, or want to put a house on a rack that lowers, you can always go for the Trio Nature House M-12k & convert it to 6 x 12 rooms. I like the fact that it has a roof to help a little with the heat. You can still look into the DR-12N that is the same except with a flat roof ( the econo. model) & built up railing wall from the floor, which I will post very soon how I modify it to extend it. If you want the house that will ride down the pole itself, you can get the Trio MSS-12, that LOOKS like thr M-12k. Good luck, Anthony
PMCA Member, 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals + Tunnels, & 2 S&K Bo 11"s WITH Troyer Porches ! 4 MPPs, For 2019 Season !! :grin: Started in 1992 from Older '50-'60s Colonies.
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

martins really like gourds, so my suggestion is to go with gourds. Get a gourd rack, and add gourds as needed.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

I agree with Emil. I switched from two converted Trio houses plus gourds to 24 gourds on two poles. In my opinion, I find them easier to manage. They are easier to do nest changes, less disruptive to other nests when doing replacements and less likely to transmit vermin from one cavity to another. Male cavity dominance is less common, although it can occur. Financially, you can purchase what you can afford and add to your setup as funds permit. They are easier to store over the winter months. Others may differ in their preferences.

Good luck next year.

Ed
msalcido

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm still debating about the gourds. I like them but will have twelve for next season. Not sure about another rack of gourds.

Anthony please post pics. I'm not familiar with the houses you speak of.

Thanks!
Mike

Anthony Neira
Martin Colony History: Started in 1992 From neighbors old 1950-60's colonies. Have 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 4 MPP Poles, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals ,& 2 S&K 11" WITH Troyer Porches ready for 2019 Season !

Here is a new 7/9/14 pic. Of my M-12k with MSS-12 railings, I took off the single rails, & since all the rooms open on one side, I took the " back " 2 rails & bolted them to the roof edges, The Martins Just Love to Perch On Them ! The obrounds are my Very old doors I'm using since my martins have fledged, & I'm "working" on my new excluders to make them "wing entrapment free" (No wing slots! More on that later ) There are great pic.s in the PMCA Catalog !
Attachments
My M-12k with MSS-12 railings
My M-12k with MSS-12 railings
2014-07-09 19.46.02.jpg (75.04 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
Last edited by Anthony Neira on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PMCA Member, 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals + Tunnels, & 2 S&K Bo 11"s WITH Troyer Porches ! 4 MPPs, For 2019 Season !! :grin: Started in 1992 from Older '50-'60s Colonies.
Anthony Neira

Mike, I just replaced the old "dark" pic. with one of my own M-12K. I found this one leaning against a guys house, he had found it in a front yard trash heap, $10.00 later it became mine . :grin: Good luck, Anthony
John Miller

I suggested looking into the Coates House because you asked specifically about an aluminum house, one priced less than the Trendsetters. My colleagues probably would be better in sales than I. I agree with them that gourds offer a lot of advantages. My preference would be the excluder line, because they are large, sturdy and attractive, but they do need some venting and studier lids, which can be obtained. That said, there's nothing prettier in a big open field than what my grandpa called a "martin box" covered in martins. John M
msalcido

Thanks all. Still undecided but doing a lot of searching for the right one. appreciate it!
Mike

klcretired

Hi Mike ,
It's me Kenny over here in Grand Prairie , My Gourds are the first chosen every year by my Martins . I have up both a PM House (Lone Star Goliad House w/ 2" square pole w/ Cable /Winch setup very easy to lower & Raise. The Martins also Love this House it is 12" deep 6" wide x 6" tall , you can change out the doors fast & easy, LS offers different door combinations to fit your needs. also the nesting trays that fit the LS Goliad keep your martins, babies, & Eggs Dry , Mike it's good to have Both types with good Deep Housing and a Gourd Rack w/ deep gourds so the martins can choose what they want , some martins can be very hard to please.
If you are ever close to my neighborhood come by and look at my setup's would love to have you. we can talk call B-4 you come to make sure i am at home 972-642-2025
Kenny
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
Hanover Bill
Martin Colony History: 2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72

Mike; for my money the T-14 can't be beat. I really believe that adding one put me over the top last season, and attracted my first nesters. Of course these are also quite costly, either to buy or build, but it is money well spent.

Best of luck regardless of your housing decision.

Hanover Bill.
2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Bill, I agree that a wooden house is very good in the northern part of the martins range, the aluminum houses are probably just too cold. I think that its a temperature associated choice that makes the T-14 so popular.

Down here in Texas, the martins do not use a house very much. I had a T-14 but quit using it, I was only getting about 5 pair per house. And the starlings & sparrows loved that wooden house. That is why I switched to all gourds.

The martins & people in Canada love the wooden houses.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Here's my $.02 - for what it's worth... :lol:

Figure out what the cost is per cavity for each type of house, then per pole. For some houses that you have to modify from 12 cavities down to 6 - your cost per cavity just doubled. Not to mention that you now have a very expensive pole, along with the effort to dig & stand it up, with only 6 cavities.
You do get a bigger bang for your buck with 24 gourds per pole...or 24 cavities in a house per pole. I love my Trendsetter - alternating nest entrances have eliminated porch domination (plus an older colony, I know).

Here in MO, I try to get the biggest bang for my buck - trying to dig a hole here in this MO rock is a major, major ordeal. :lol:
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Gourd rack, gourd rack, gourd rack.
22 year landlord..9 Rack Systems for 2018 and my home built T-8 for a total of 166 cavities..160 pair in 2018 ..SUPER COLONY!!! Love You Bev... Fan of those St. Louis Cardinals!!!!!