Converting aluminum 12 hole to 6

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
mikeinkaty

Would 2 porch dividers cure the male dominance thing if one put 3 holes on each side? Wouldn't have to add an extra porch this way. On one side have 2 holes below and one above. On the other side have 2 holes above and one below. Then put a porch divider where there are 2 holes in one row. The dividers could be screwed to the porch to allow easier access to the back of those two holes.

Planning for next year.

Mike
John Miller

I have done Trios this way or even just left the porch divider off with the entries spaced out as you describe and got near full occupancy. Seems I read once that male dominance was more of a problem in the northern part of the range, but not sure. John
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

yes.. it worked for my home colony. I had a full house with two trios setup this way.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
mikeinkaty

Thank you, John and Dorn.

Mike
Anthony Neira
Martin Colony History: Started in 1992 From neighbors old 1950-60's colonies. Have 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 4 MPP Poles, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals ,& 2 S&K 11" WITH Troyer Porches ready for 2019 Season !

Mike, I have 11 trios, all 12 x 6 rooms and due to the Texas heat, all of the openings face south, or south east to get help from the spring/summer winds. So All the openings are on one side only with deviders installed in all of them, of course some macho stuff happens, but the Martins get along and they love the wind coming at them! Good luck,
mikeinkaty

Anthony Neira wrote:Mike, I have 11 trios, all 12 x 6 rooms and due to the Texas heat, all of the openings face south, or south east to get help from the spring/summer winds. So All the openings are on one side only with deviders installed in all of them, of course some macho stuff happens, but the Martins get along and they love the wind coming at them! Good luck,
I think I'll do it this way. Easier to watch - SE will front toward my house. And, watching them is what its all about!

mike