Kansas Martins??

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
razman

just yesterday, i saw my FIRST martin this season....an ASY male showed up at my site, and seemed quite comfortable hanging out on the houses and calling for other martins.....i've never had a large colony established, but have had 1-2 nesting pairs over the last 4 years...this year we took out two trees that were pretty close to the houses, so we expected better results.

i also went and talked to a guy that lives about 2 miles from me....he has a large colony (has had it for years) and probably has at least 50 alum houses...and usually over 50 pairs of martins....he told me he has NO martins so far this year!!! anyone else living in KS or the midwest having issues also? i can't help but think that the early birds perhaps were affected by the cold spring, and either headed back south or died of starvation. at any rate, it sure was nice to have a single male hanging out last night, and YES, he was back this morning, clucking and singing away! so i have my fingers crossed once again, Rick
2004...notta
2005-2008 lookies
2009...lookies, and a SYM hanging around a bunch
2010...an ASY pair! 5 eggs, 5 babies fledged! yehawwwwwwwwww
2011....still only one nesting pair..extreme heat killed the babies
2012..ASY pair...fledged 4 babies!
2013 notta, few lookie lous
Peggy Riley

Rick, I really think a good number are just running late this year. Hang in there!

Peggy
PMCA Member
2017 101 pair
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Last year, my 4th, I had 6 nesting pairs.

My first birds arrived 3/27/13. They learned to accept flipped crickets the first week of April.

Mid-April I jumped to 11 birds. Mostly ASY males. 8 to 3. With supplemental feeding they thrived.

Today, a month later I have about 20 martins. Seemingly evenly paired. There are 13 PM nests being built.

I am 80 miles west of Wichita. I am shocked that someone with 50 pairs last year has not seen any returnees by now. :???:

Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

I've got a great number of martins at my place.

Quite a few at the parsons public colony also.

If he had a large colony and doesn't have any I would be concerned. if he has 50 houses and only 50 birds... there may be issues anyway, unless he just started.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
DakotaLady

That is very VERY odd that someone who had 50 pairs of martins does not have any back yet in Kansas. I would think by now those birds would already be back and the subbies would now be filtering in. That is really strange.

I hope you have a tremendous amount of success. Good luck!
~Tangula~

2013 - 16 pair, 79 eggs, 71 fledged
2012 - 4 pair, 18 eggs, 18 fledged
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

I have to admit there was a moment of thinking...hey if his aren't back maybe more are coming and that means maybe more for me! (Evil chuckle) I know I am martin greedy.
Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
phldave
Martin Colony History: Started trying in 2012 and still trying

Razman,

I'm on vacation this week, which allows me to keep a closer look on things. Had what I think was a SY female buzz my setup making 2 or 3 passes at 10am this morning. She never landed but rejoined the 4 or 5 birds she was with and they continued north. I was playing the dawnsong or she probably would have just passed on bye. She was so beautiful and graceful, tore my heart out when she didn't even land. Think I've done everthing but put up a flashing vacancy sign. Damn this is frustrating. If I hadn't been here and outside I would have totally missed her. Makes me wonder how many others have done the same.

Dave
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Full boat here Rick! No issues at all. Sounds like a predator issue with your friend. Most likely he had something happen last year that would cause them not to show this year..50 pairs are alot of birds, not to have any back...hope you're on your way of getting some martins soon..
22 year landlord..9 Rack Systems for 2018 and my home built T-8 for a total of 166 cavities..160 pair in 2018 ..SUPER COLONY!!! Love You Bev... Fan of those St. Louis Cardinals!!!!!
razman

looks promising here Tony, and thanks....this "friend" of mine does not manage his site...has a TON of Nature alum houses, large castles and all.....all over his property in the heart of the city. neighbors have petitioned for something to be done. none of his houses have been converted to larger compartments, and the site last time i saw it when he had martins was overrun with starlings and sparrow..(no SREH at all) i do know that two summers ago he was shoveling dead babies every morning off of the sidewalk (this was the brutal summer in the midwest when we all had problems).....dunno what exactly happened, but it may have finally bit him in the butt. not sure. i'm sure he has well over 50 houses scattered all over his yard...poor guy loves his martins, but doesn't think he needs to do anything but sit on the porch and enjoy them. bad deal, Rick
2004...notta
2005-2008 lookies
2009...lookies, and a SYM hanging around a bunch
2010...an ASY pair! 5 eggs, 5 babies fledged! yehawwwwwwwwww
2011....still only one nesting pair..extreme heat killed the babies
2012..ASY pair...fledged 4 babies!
2013 notta, few lookie lous
ChrisM

This is the first year for 6 gourds, along with the standby of an s and k house. At one time during the past month, I had 30 martins, but soon realized they were only passing through. Currently I have 8 couples, and some busy nest building going on.. There are mud nests in the s and k, and with my help, the gourds nests have pine shavings, oat straw, last fall's pin oak leaves, and their choice of green lilac leaves..Hope the egg laying starts soon.
ChrisM
NE Kansas
lwilg

I live in Winfield. In 2011 I had 24 pairs. 2012 14 pairs. This year 6 pairs. Numerous places around town that have had martins for years, do not have any. I have changed nothing. Don't know what is happening. Probably was a drop in production the last couple of years because of heat, but I have no clue what is the cause of the decline.
art

I am near Holcomb in Finney County and have 7+? birds with three matched pairs using the T-14 for the first time. Built and put up a cedar suite this spring with a single bird using. The gourds are ignored. My fourth year and hoping for good things to come.
arthur nonhof
Rick Meyer

I haven't seen a martin in over two weeks..........none. I usually see at least one or two feeding high in the sky on a daily basis. Not this year. No ASY's = no chance for a wannabe. Drought related? Not sure but it is quite concerning.
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Up to approximately 98 pair, an increase of 10 from last year. Was hoping to fill all 108 cavities. Might still get a few more SY's to arrive and build..neighbors to the north of me have increased their pairs from last year..(I'm thinking thanks to me and my record year).. :)
22 year landlord..9 Rack Systems for 2018 and my home built T-8 for a total of 166 cavities..160 pair in 2018 ..SUPER COLONY!!! Love You Bev... Fan of those St. Louis Cardinals!!!!!
DebA

....and here comes TonyG! Here everyone is saying haven't seen any, don't got any, less than before and then you Tony have 98 pair! LOL.

I too am having a better than before year. Gonna spend the day cleaning house and cleaning out house sparrows. One way or the other they are going down and if it takes me from my cleaning chores then so be it.

I feel bad for the ones that aren't seeing any of these special little creatures. :cry:

Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
tonyg

Deb I'm fortunate to have another decent sized colony about a half mile from me. I pick up alot of his SY's and he gets mine..lol..and my neighbor has around 25 pair..( I got him started about 4 yrs ago)..the people around this little town has benefited from me and the other decent colony.. :)
starling shooter

Deb- Get the spring loaded trap PM assoc sells...bait it with feathers. Tearing out sparrow nests will not protect your eggs/young/adults. I just about catch all with feathes and shoot any stragglers. I've seen what they can do.
DebA

Starling Shooter,
By cleaning out...I meant death to you damn house sparrow! Like taking them out. Trapping. Shooting. I know nest pulling is temporary and only a matter of time before one rages and pecks my PM eggs. Has happened to me before. So...off with your heads!!! (Well not really I can't do it. But I can put you night night with ether.)
Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR