Material Selection

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
SLUGGO

Hello To All,
I have many questions as to building a T-14 house,most important of all being material selection.I have the plans the website offered for sale.They are straight forward and specific as to wood selection.I live in Memphis area,and it gets hot(100+)in the heat of the summer.I was wondering if cypress would be O.K. to use.It was not mentioned in the plans,so I thought I should ask here.Cypress weathers well in the high heat/humidity that the Mid-South expierances.

Can it be used,and will it effect the birds ? I have an established group of birds that will show up here on St.Patricks Day,like clockwork.Any help from my newfound forum friends will be greatly appreciated.

Please pardon the spelling errors,the spellcheck keeps locking up .

SLUGGO
JamesinIA

Hey Sluggo
I think that Cypress would be one of the best woods you could use. The only drawback that I can think of is it's weight. I know that it is much heavier than Cedar but I think it would outlast Cedar also. You should be able to raise the T14 with a good brake winch no matter which wood you use.

I hope you have a great 2010 season down there in Tennessee.

James
2009 One ASY pair 5 eggs 5 fledged 2010 2 pair 5 fledged 2011 8 pair 27 fledged 2012 14 pair 38 fledged
2013 20 pair 64 fledged 2014 19 pair fledged 84 2015 26 pair fledged 124 2016 36 pair fledged 156 2017 40 pair fledged 156
PMCA member
John King

I am not far from you down here in Athens A. and know what you mean by heat, I see no reason for not useing syprus but be sure to include some form of ventilation. Hopr you the best for 2010 John
John King
jkin327@charter.net
Athens, Al.
flyin-lowe

Another option being from TN would be to look for Hemlock. I purchased a load for my T14 and it came from KY. It is the wood they used to use for siding on the old tobacco barns in the south. It is supposed to hold up very good to the weather. It is also light. When I got it from the saw mill it was .70 cents a board foot for 1inch rough cut boards. Those were 12 inches wide. The tens and eights were a few cents cheaper. If I remember right the plans call for close to 100 board feet of wood. I ended up with about $70.00 in the wood. I had priced cedar at LOWES B/C my wife works there and with her discount the 1x12's were still over $3.00 a foot. The cost was going to be over $300.00 just for the boards. I have less then that in my entire set up. The only issue is that the 1 inch rough cut boards needed to be planed down to 3/4 inch to keep consistent with the plans. A buddy did all mine for a case of beer. I painted the house with some quality paint and it is starting its third year and so far it looks brand new. Let me know if you have any other questions when you start building.
Lhawk
Martin Colony History: Started tying in 2001 finally got 3 pair in 2003. Since then I had a steady increase to the 34 pair I now host in 2 Watersedge Suites 1 Trendsetter,and 12 plastic gourds.

Sluggo,
I'm in Memphis myself and am in the process of building a T-14 style house out of cypress. I got my lumber from Wilson Lumber on McLean near Chelsea. They have 4 foot long pieces of 1" rough cut cypress they call shorts for around $1.00 per foot. As Flyin Lowe said you will have to plane it down to make it 3/4" but I had a thickness planer already so it was no problem. The cypress seems to take paint really well and is not much heavier than the cedar I have used before. If you decide to go this route send a PM my email is in the member list if you need help planing the boards. I don't think you will go wrong using the cypress.
Lee
Tenth year as a landlord. Started with 9 pair the second year housing was up ,2004. Now have 32 pair here in town, and 38 pair at the farm. Life is truly good