Gourds from Buckets

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Eddie McKnight

Attached is a pic of one of the gourds I made from a $3.00 two gallon bucket and $1.00 lid. As you can see, the birds are using it, so it may be a good way to make less expensive housing, if you have the ability to make the entrance, etc.

There is a board floor with straw and a tunnel entrance with a crescent entrance and canopy.
Attachments
Pair readily using the "bucket gourd."
Pair readily using the "bucket gourd."
Bucket Gourd.JPG (43.86 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
Lhawk
Martin Colony History: Started tying in 2001 finally got 3 pair in 2003. Since then I had a steady increase to the 34 pair I now host in 2 Watersedge Suites 1 Trendsetter,and 12 plastic gourds.

Eddie,
great idea for a nice roomy compartment. Just an idea if you could somehow get that bail to stick straight out, maybe attach it to the porch it would be a great perch area. Hope you have a great Martin year.
Lee
Tenth year as a landlord. Started with 9 pair the second year housing was up ,2004. Now have 32 pair here in town, and 38 pair at the farm. Life is truly good
Eddie McKnight

With the tunnel on the front (lid) the handle won't reach around it. I meant to take it off, and actually forgot.