A very late nest in Oklahoma

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Ron Prichard

I still have an active nest in my Trendsetter with 3 young ones. Eggs in this nest had to have been laid around July 6. I am embarrassed to admit that I did not even know it existed until just recently. I have had PM's landing on my house every morning for several weeks which sort of disguised the birds on the back side feeding young and just was not paying enough attention. These young are due to fledge in the next few days. Since I have been keeping accurate records (about 14 years), I have never had August fledgings. These birds went thorough some terrible heat (about 106 degrees) early this month. They look to be in good shape. Anyone else have late birds like these? Probably so, but this is a first for me and I have been hosting PM's for at least 25 years.
John Miller

Ron

I had a clutch of four that fledged Sunday, Aug. 10 -- latest ever for me in Missouri. Yours would be considerably later, although someone here mentioned a late nest in Texas and another in Kansas.

They seem to be able to survive the heat if there is venting, and your Trendsetter has styrofoam under the roof and floors. Not sure if you can lower it now without risk of them jumping too soon, but you may want to check on mites, which can sneak up on late nesters. But if they are as old as you say, maybe not try it unless you see mites on the compartment surface.

I hope yours do fine -- let us know.

John Miller
Lhawk
Martin Colony History: Started tying in 2001 finally got 3 pair in 2003. Since then I had a steady increase to the 34 pair I now host in 2 Watersedge Suites 1 Trendsetter,and 12 plastic gourds.

Ron

I had a nest with two young fledge today. This is the first August fledge for our site here in Memphis ever in the 5 years we have hosted these wonderful birds. Our martins began arriving here before February 24 so we have had a long and productive season. Looking forward to next year already.

Lee
Tenth year as a landlord. Started with 9 pair the second year housing was up ,2004. Now have 32 pair here in town, and 38 pair at the farm. Life is truly good
Linda Reynolds

Lee, We are located east of you, in Adamsville (near Selmer) and you should be commended on the successful late nest/fledge.

We have had a few fledge in August, but never any as late as you have reported. Those late fledges were always **nail-biters**. Congratulations to you and the martin parents.

Good luck to you in 2009. It sounds as if you have some very content martins living at your site.
Ever-Grateful,
Linda
Linda Reynolds

Ron, I have a friend in Kansas that still has a nest of young.........Good luck to you with your late fledglings.
Ever-Grateful,
Linda
Ron Prichard

I appreciate you folks in Tennessee and Missouri responding. John, yes when I discovered these guys, I pulled one out and checked for mites and that one was clean. I did have some problems this year in some compartments with mites but managed to take care of them. I had good success this year and managed to fledge 181 new birds. That number is a new high record for this colony. I hope to add three more birds to the total very soon with this surprise nest. The mom is still busy feeding these birds this evening in some very unusual cool weather for August. I will let everyone know when these guys take flight.

Just out of curiosity. Is daddy long gone?
Ron Prichard

Susan, he is hanging around and feeds every once in a while but the female takes care of business! I do not know how common this may be but there is another female that seems to be helping out!