ground sleeve

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

Hi all, I have moved to the country and don't know if I am happy or sad about taking my martin houses with me :???: I am glad for having them but then I know 5 or more pair will be looking for their home soon :cry: The lady who bought the house is an older lady and didn't think she was able to care for them or I would have left them. Anyway, I have a question about the part of the pole that goes in the cement in the ground. I think they are called ground sleeves. I had to leave that part and I can see where I can purchase the sleeve for the one pole but I have a deluxe gourd rack system with the 2" square pole and don't see a sleeve for it. They are available aren't they? If anyone knows I would be grateful to hear from you. I am soooo excited and nervous hoping to get martins to my houses out here. Thanks frankie
John Miller

Call the PMCA tomorrow and I'm sure they will put you in touch with the vendor who made these. The Forum has to limit giving commercial sources of products here or the barn door would fly open I guess, but calling the PMCA direct should get you the answer.

I hope you have a good open location in the country.

John Miller

Ohhhh!! I didn't think that would be a problem! :oops: Thanks John, I will call them now.

John, I do have an open 4 acres :grin: I only have 3 trees together and thought about putting the houses to the east of them for shade. Do you think I should put them away from the trees or if by them how far away? I have noticed out here how huge the hawk population is. I will be dealing with predators that I didn't have in town :evil: I need to get started ordering the whole nine yards for protection for my martins. (If I get any :wink: )
John Miller

Frankie

No, don't put the houses near the trees for shade. The more open the better your chance of getting a colony established. But not so far out in the pasture that you can't monitor and enjoy the housing.

Some folks recommend putting housing no closer to a tree than the height of a tree. You can go a little closer if it's still wide open on three sides.

My step dad saw martins collecting leaves from trees and planted a tree near the martin house so it would be more convenient (rolly eyes).

I like to get housing away from outbuildings, barns and even utility lines to make it less attractive to house sparrows, but I'm a bit of a rebel on this. Most folks think martins like power lines.

A Forum member, "Dawn," in Kansas put up housing last year and got many pairs the first year -- maybe she will chime in on Kansas conditions.

John

Hi John, Well the rest of the land is open thats for sure :wink: The trees are wide open around them so guess I thought it would be a good spot even though I know better than asking a question like that :oops: We are going to dig a pond in the future but there is a lake 5 miles from here so they can get water close by. It just gets soooo hot here in the summer. While visiting in Wichita, Kansas I spotted martins and knew there was a colony somewhere so I drove around 2 blocks and there nestled very low in many many trees between two backyards was a beautiful martin house with many martins!! I wanted to knock real bad but thought I better not :lol: Thanks so much for the help :grin:
John Miller

Frankie

The Plains states and St. Louis city where I manage housing are climates of extreme -- often too cold in early spring and very hot in July when martins are still nesting.

I put big one inch PVC elbows as vents in some of my plastic gourds, some in the gourds themselves and some in the lids. I keep the vents plugged with a scrap of something until late May. Just something to consider once your get your colony established.

John
Dawn~KS

Hi Frankie :) ,

First, let me say that I sincerely hope you get martins in 2008. After having had some it would be sad to have to go without them. :-(

John is correct, I got many pairs last season (14). It was my first year to host them but it took 4 years trying before that. I am not sure where you are located. I have read quite a few times that ppl think the martin population is low in Kansas. In my NE corner area, I have to disagree. It drove me crazy that it seemed that everyone who put up a house got them and I (who was trying to do everything right) couldn't get them. They finally came and how thrilling that was!!! :wink: There are qutie a few around here

John is giving you good advice, with that and the ton of information here on the PMCA, you should do well if you follow it. Read all you can as it will only help you in your attempts. If you are not a member of the PMCA you should join and start getting the Update. Also, read the archives section if you haven't already. They also have back issues of the Update and they are worth their weight in gold, I almost have a complete set.

Good Luck!! :grin: :grin:

Dawn :grin:

John
That is a good idea for venting a gourd. One problem for me is that here where I am they choose the houses over the gourds. I did have one pair in a troyer gourd later in the season but only because there was no room in the house and they had no choice. It will be interesting to see if I do get some what housing they will choose. I will keep the venting in mind for sure! Good idea! Thanks so much for the good advice!

Dawn
Hello fellow Kansan, even though we are totally at opposite corners of the state :wink: I am in the very sw corner just miles away from the ok, tx, borders. Thanks for wishing me luck I hope I don't need it! You are so right about the many martins. We have no shortage here :P It's just getting them to come to your home! I bet your weather is completely different than ours here. Do your martins like the houses better than gourds? I will look at your profile and see what you have. I thought I read that they house in what is familiar for them. Yes I have read the forum and archives many times and asked my stupid questions here and there but you can never stop learning. Thanks so much for help and congrats on the 14 pairs :shock: Wow what a way to start :wink: I am already excited like others for the new season. Good luck to you!
Dawn~KS

Hi Frankie,

I had a feeling you were at least in the south somewhere. We could draw a diagonal line to eachother probably!! Glad to hear you think the population is strong there. I hope you do get them right away, but if you don't, keep trying and never give up...............they will come!! Four years seemed like a long time to me and I know others have waited longer. Having had them already, you know how worth it it is!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Here they used a varitey. I had them in a wooden T-14, modified Trio and natural, tunneled gourds. I might add that if you can do it, offering a variety is a good thing. The first ones might go to something they like in particular but eventually I would think it would all be used. I know that as soon as my colony has some years behind it, I may make changes that benefit me. They will still be good for the martins while making *managing* easier for me. For instance, I liked nest checking much better in the T-14 and gourds than I did the Trio. Overall, doing nest checks in the gourds was the best. I will keep the T-14 and maybe add a seconed gourd rack. My Trio will then be utilized more for S&S control because the Spar-O-Door works so well.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Good luck to you in 2008!!!

~Dawn~