Martins less than two months away...Yippie!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Dawn~KS

Wow, I can hardly believe that some fortunate people in the south are going to be able to report martins in less than two months. :grin: I get so excited when this begins even though I will have a much longer wait until they actually make it to my place. This will be an exciting Spring for me as it will be the first for me to be watching the skies for *my* returning martins. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Get ready............they are stirring in South America as I type this!! :grin: :grin:
The Olsons

Hi Dawn,

I can feel your excitement through your post :grin: :grin: :grin: I myself got all excited about them being back soon when I finished cleaning some of my gourds yesterday. The weather was absolutely beautiful...sunshine, hardly any wind (unusual for where we live) and temps in the 60s. While I was puttering around with the housing all these nice memories of the 2007 martin season (and the once before) came back and I also got very excited about the fact that in about 90 days the martins are going to be back in our area 8) 8) 8)

The landlords in Florida should have them back sooner than that; they usually have their first martins return in late December/early January....let's hear the excitement and anticipation of other landlords about the martin's return, yeah, I think I have to go outside and do the martin dance :oops:

Who else is counting the days??????

Astrid :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Love it or leave it~~~Astrid :-)
Dawn~KS

Go Astrid, Go Astrid.....................giggle, I can see you doing the martin dance! :grin: :grin:

When you say you will have them in 90 days.........that sounds a whole heap better than 3 months. From now on it is days for me. So, instead of 5 months it is approximately 150 days. :grin:

What a nice thought to think that some people get to hope for martins as their Christmas present. I guess on Christmas I can say I will only have 90 days to wait. :grin:
James Strickland FL
Martin Colony History: 2017 Had a lot visitors no Matins nesting, hoping 2018 will be different.
2018 Had 1 pair
2019 had 30 pair

:grin: I live here in south florida, but I don't get purple martins until Feb, because I'm on the east coast of the state. But if the dates hold true this year dec 11. That is 41 days away and then things really pick up for us. I'm really looking forward to this coming year and I am hoping the changes that I made will increase my colony. MY back yard will look a lot different than last year. I have removed that big tree and all the plants that were along the fence has been removed. My space is so wide open you could land and park a 747 in my back yard. I'm not going to put as many gourds this year. I'm waiting until my colony grows and fills the one's that are already hanging. Let keep looking to the skys for that dot of purple to arrive.
Dawn~KS

Sounds like you have made some *attractive* improvements to your yard, James. Your martins will surely like it and you may have to put up more gourds in 2009 because you fill up this coming season. :grin: Your wait is much shorter and I can't wait to hear your *good news* of their arrival! :grin: :grin:
James Strickland FL
Martin Colony History: 2017 Had a lot visitors no Matins nesting, hoping 2018 will be different.
2018 Had 1 pair
2019 had 30 pair

Well thanks dawn I hope it goes well for everyone. My prays are for every house or gourd is filled and that every baby lives and to come back the next year.
Dawn~KS

That is a good thought, James!! :wink:
The Olsons

Wow....I just got back in from doing the dance and wore myself out, but it felt good....giggle, giggle.

Dawn, I was going to write in another 3 months and thought that sounds kind of long, let's do this in days and liked it better that way. Are you familiar with Adventscalendars? It would be nice to create a special "waiting for the martins calendar" where we put little pictures of our season in and open a window every day for the last 30 days before they arrive.... :lol:
Now you have Christmas to look forward and after that 90 days down the road your martins will be back. I have a feeling that your martins will be back 80 days after Christmas!!!!!!

James, you did a lot of work to open up the space for your guys; I am sure they are going to love having all that extra "air space".....

I think we have a touch of the martin fever already.....YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Astrid :wink:
Dawn~KS

Now that is a wonderful idea for a new product........the Purple Martin Anticipation Countdown Calendar, or something like that!

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Tim Mangan-Kansas
Martin Colony History: 2016 - 22 Pair

Hi Dawn:

Love your enthusiasm and eagerness for "your" martins to return. That second year in hosting martins is truly special. I only had four pair my first year so I was able to really study them and watch their special characteristics. The second year you can't help but wonder if, "Did all or some of "my" martins survive the migrations? Will any of them return? Will any of the fledgings return as SY's?" Then they start to trickle in and it really gives you a sense of satisfaction knowing, in a small way, you were responsible for the survival of the species.

My first year, here in south central Arkansas, my first scout arrived on March 28. The second year, my first scout arrived on March 9; almost three weeks earlier. That is another side benefit from your first successful year in fledging young; they "usually" arrive back at your place sooner the second year.

Hopefully we are all getting ready for next season and it won't be much longer before those reports start coming from south Florida.

Tim
Dawn~KS

Hi Tim :grin: .....(big cyberspace waves),

I am really looking forward to seeing the martins return. Had I only had a few pair I think I would be on pins and needles next Spring. With having had 14 pair I feel pretty confident that I will get some back. I already know my Alpha male will not return as he disappeared during the season this year. :-( One thing that I get excited about is the thought of seeing the change in the plumage of the subbie males. I had 3 adult males (with the one that disappeared) so that gives me quite a few to see that will be fully dark......can't wait! :grin: :grin:

The female that stayed and started it all for me arrived on April 14 already paired. I feel sure she had been in the area a while and something brought her to my site. Also, her coloring showed her to be probably at least 3 or 4 years old. If she survives......she may show up here in March. Usual time here for early arrivals is mid-March. I am thinking that if I have one by the end of March that is reasonable. Of course, I will be looking out the window constantly at the beginning of March because you never know and I get a little fanatic. :wink: :wink:

I hope you a terrific year and the martins love the new housing available to them. I have a feeling you are going to have an enormous increase. Let's all hope the weather doesn't throw us the usual curve, or at least not too bad of one. I plan to have crickets and brave the weather should need be! :)
James Strickland FL
2018 Had 1 pair
2019 had 30 pair

:grin: Olsons, I really like the open area myself. I can enjoy the canal and the openness is great. I'm sure that the martins will love it here this year and I just cant't wait for them. I understand that they are changing the arrive dates in the fall Purple Martin Mag.
The Olsons

James 8) , It is great to have open space, especially when you live on or near the water....it creates such a peaceful setting. I also cannot wait for "the kids" to be back....I just hope we will not have too many too bad cold spells next season as we had this year.

I did not know they changed the arrival dates...I have not received the Update yet. I am curious to see how they changed. Thanks for letting me know....and keep counting :grin: :grin: :grin:

Astrid
Tim Mangan-Kansas
Martin Colony History: 2016 - 22 Pair

James & Astrid:

I have my new "Update" with the new maps you mentioned. According to the new map, I would say 95% of Florida has a scout arrival date of Jan. 15. The extreme north central part of Fl. stretching over to the northeast corner of Florida have a Feb. 1 scout arrival date.

The southern half of La. now has a scout arrival date of Jan. 15 while the north half of La. has a new arrival date of Feb. 1.

The southern and eastern half of Texas now has a scout arrival date of Feb. 1.

Obviously, this is dependent on weather conditions at the time of normal migration. For me, I will gauge the scout arrivals by the date they arrived in previous years, given weather conditions are normal.

Tim
The Olsons

Tim,

Thank you for the update on the map and dates :grin: |

Astrid
bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.
In 2018, we fledged 629 martins at all of the sites.

Dawn,

What a great first year, I am happy for you. Just think how much your colony may grow this year!!!

James, hope you get several pairs this year, you have been trying for awhile to get these birds, and we all know it has been frustrating for you.

Let's get the 2008 season going!!!!

Bill
James Strickland FL
2018 Had 1 pair
2019 had 30 pair

Thanks Tim for the update. This means I have to get things going on my houses.
Dawn~KS

Thanks, Bill :) ,

I am looking forward to seeing what 2008 brings. I waited 4 years to get a colony going and then boom, in one season I got enough pairs that I couldn't have hoped to get in 3 years. That made everything more worth it and I wasn't even expecting those numbers. I will have 40 units available and I expect a good increase.

For those still waiting and hoping, keep on keeping on, you'll get em'!! :wink:
Matt F.

Great thread Dawn!

It's getting closer and closer to the first returning Martins to start making their debut in beautiful Florida!

And to add to the excitement, the PMCA Scout Report page has the 2008 season map ready to go!

Al Denton
Martin Colony History: New site and housing for 2018...Trendsetter 12. 1 pair of subs. Fledged 5...2019...11 pairs

It just dawned on me how close it is now. I just wrote 11/04/07 on a check and it hit me. March will be here before you can shake a stick 8)
2018-new site...1 pair
2019-11 pairs