Purple Martin book?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

I have not found very many books about purple martins. I have the Stokes PM book and the Enjoying Purple Martins More, but they are only general info not really a lot of detail. I read these books before I put up our houses and now I'm learning all kinds of things by our misfortunes. The first year I think I made a male house sparrow mad by distroying his nest and egg so he pinned all the eggs except for one nest, and that was just because the parents were dilligent in protecting their nest. This year a large snake got past our preditor guards and ate all the nestlings. I worry each year that the birds won't come back the next. I'd like to avoid anymore of these learning experences. Anyone have suggestions for good PM books?
CraigMo.
Martin Colony History: Active since 2003

I really don't know of any other than the Stokes, this forum is the best thing I have used.
zboggess

There is a detailed book, "What you should know about the Purple Martin by J.L. Wade, also subtitled AMERICA'S MOST WANTED BIRD"

I have the Stokes book which I continue to go to for reference, but I am finding lots of additional details in the Wade book. You might find it helpful.
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Chris Slabaugh - Landlord of the year for 1997 wrote a book about PM's.

http://purplemartin.org/LOY/LOY1997.html

I'm going to write a letter to him and send a check ...hopefully, he still has them in print.
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
Sparky

Cheryl,

I don't know of anymore books available. First hand experience like you have had is priceless and sometimes results at a cost. I have read everything that is out there and I'm still learning year after year. Also, landlording experiences can vary from region to region. Stay close to the forum and read the PMCA Purple Martin Update. :)
I'm a "nestcamaholic" Is 18 hours a day a bad thing? (I have 2 this year, luckily I have 2 eyes!)

Martin Friends, I used to have the J.L. Wade book some years ago & got lost somewhere in the shuffle over the years but if you want a book just to learn about how to attract & maintain a purple martin colony, I do believe to can find all the necessary info from the PMCA archives & then some. {Then some}, is I mean all of the ladies & gentlemen who is on this forum is willing & waiting to help anyone & everyone! I have read the J.L. Wade "Most Wanted Bird" many times & far as I can remember it did not give such good detail as the information that PMCA gives out. I loved this book & I guess at the time it was the best thing out there but it is a whole new ballgame now.

Ron, From WV
John Barrow

Hi Saxxas,

I probably own every book written about purple martins. The best collection of articles is contained in the PM Update, available quarterly to PMCA members, with state of the art information. In addition, many Update articles can be found on line at PMCA-home, tab, "Update". When I started mentoring people before computers were as fashionable as they are today, my advice to wannabee landlords was to acquire and read all of the Updates they could find. Some are out of print and unavailable. Occassionally, you will find those old issues available at ebay. I buy every old issue I can and have several complete sets of the Update. There has never been more credible information written about martins, and I doubt there ever will be, without someone infringing on the PMCA's written material.
~~TEAMED WITH A MARTIN GODDESS~~

Member/Mentor-PMCA. I do regular nestchecks and participate in PROJECT MARTINWATCH!! Coordinated 3 geolocator studies-2009, 2010 & 2013. State and Fed licensed bander (retired Jan., 2020)
Dawn~KS

I have all the books mentioned here. Chris Slabaugh's book is a good one to have and read. J.L. Wade's book was one I read because I wanted to read everything, but it is mostly a history on the Trio company and how it was started (still interesting and I do not regret reading it).

I have to agree with John Barrow though. The best information that I ever read came from old Updates. I have an almost complete set myself. :grin: Call the PMCA and see what they have and let them know that if anyone turns over some back issues they don't have to let you know (they may have a waiting list). During the off season you will have some good reading. Even though you might read everything available, things still happen. Just plug along and do the best you can!! :wink:
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

John Barrow wrote:Hi Saxxas,

I probably own every book written about purple martins. The best collection of articles is contained in the PM Update, available quarterly to PMCA members, with state of the art information. In addition, many Update articles can be found on line at PMCA-home, tab, "Update". When I started mentoring people before computers were as fashionable as they are today, my advice to wannabee landlords was to acquire and read all of the Updates they could find. Some are out of print and unavailable. Occassionally, you will find those old issues available at ebay. I buy every old issue I can and have several complete sets of the Update. There has never been more credible information written about martins, and I doubt there ever will be, without someone infringing on the PMCA's written material.
So, go up this page to <PMCA Home> and then to <Update>. Or you can do a search from the PMCA Home Page (not this page - this page is for searching the forum) and find specific information that way. If you need a book just so you can hold something while you read - well that's one thing. If you crave information about the Purple Martin, I guarantee this website will satiate you until you overflow! Become a member and the mailman will deliver a beautiful full color magazine to your mailbox 4 times a year.

Am I promoting the Purple Martin Conservation Association? Why, yes, I suppose I am! And when people come to my house they always ask about those white things on the poles and I go into my spill about the beautiful bird I am so passionate about and I always end with: Go to the internet and www.purplemartin.org for more information... :wink:
Sincerely,
Laverne
T Seber

Perhaps the PMCA should consider compiling the 100 (maybe more) best Update articles, from over the years, into book form. It would be a best seller among martin people.
T. Seber

Thank you for all the suggestions. I just ordered the Update earlier this year, and started looking at the posts in this forum. I want to learn all I can before the incidents happen when possible.
Matt F.

T Seber wrote:Perhaps the PMCA should consider compiling the 100 (maybe more) best Update articles, from over the years, into book form. It would be a best seller among martin people.
You're on to something there Thurman!

That would be a great compilation!
Daniel Airola

Others have recommended good books on attracting and managing martins. In my view, the best "book" on purple martin biology is the Purple Martin species account published by the American Ornithological Union as part of the series "The Birds of North America". It consists of 32 pages summarizing 300-400 scientific publications on every conceivable aspect of martin biology. It cites information from 17 different publications by PMCA founder James Hill. It is available for about $7.50 from Buteo Books (http://www.buteobooks.com/bna.html). It also is available online from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
Dan Airola - Sacramento CA