Another Sucess Story

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Nanette

One of the benefits of having a somewhat large colony and doing nest checks is that you have a clear picture of what is going on in your colony. Yesterday, late afternoon. I did a nest check. I noticed that in one of my compartments there were 3 starving babies. Two of whom were already dead and one which was about to go soon. It's keel was sharp as a razer and it was clear that it was no longer being fed. I had my son and daughter go upstairs and feed it some "white" mealworms and they managed to force feed it 6. This is the first time my son Alex, had ever attempted to "save" a baby. I realize that sometimes the baby's metabolism has shut down so much that it can't digest. I just figured that if that happened, it was meant to die. I then put it in a nest with similar sized young. I discovered how much of a difference "same age" babies can have! I was fortunate to have a nest of similar "size" babies (one day apart in age does not mean one day apart in size!) I put the little guy in yesterday afternoon to a nest with 2 nestlings and with his "forced meal" and the generosity of his new "mom", he is still alive today! :grin: :grin: :grin: I can't stress the importance of nest checks enough!!! I have had one failure this year, which doesn't compare to the 3 successes!
By the way, both my kids got a real thrill out of knowing they helped save another bird!
Fledge on!
Nanette
bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.
In 2018, we fledged 629 martins at all of the sites.

Nanette,

The site looks great, and thanks to you and the kids, we may have another martin flying around the Virginia countryside. Tell your kids that they did a great job.

Bill
Dawn~KS

I had a situation here this year where I fed a couple babies and then placed them in an appropriate nest. All worked out well and one fledged with a family and the other is about too. It sure does pay to pay attention!! You did a good job for noticing that with all the birds you have. My kids were somewhat involved too! :wink: Beautiful site I might add!! :grin:

Nanette, what a nice story. I think it is nice to get the kids involved early so they will learn to appreciate martins. And I also think virginia is a beautiful place to live! Great job!
Carlton
Martin Colony History: I moved to South Florida, from Delaware, in August of 2015.

I will have 2 MSS-8 houses, with Excluder entrances, here on my condo grounds. This season I will also have two Deluxe Gourd Racks with 24 Excluder Gourds with Modified Excluder entrances. In our condo development, along the lake in a different section, I have 8 Excluder Gourds hanging from 84 inch Shepherd's Hooks with predator guards.

At Quiet Waters Park, nearby in Deerfield Beach, I care for a Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 TVG's. I also care for a Deluxe Gourd rack with 12 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder entrances.

At another local park, Tradewinds Park at Coconut Creek, care for a Trendsetter 12, 5 gourds rack with 60 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder Entrances and 1 Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 Troyer Vertical Gourds with wing guards over the Conley II to keep out smaller starlings.

What a great picture of your setup. So clear.

Great job on that rescue.

Nice looking site and just to show how much we see what we want to see the top level of gourds had me thinking snow capped mountains in the distance. LOL What is the gourd at fence height down in the right corner/

dick
Nanette

Thanks everyone! I am VERY happy to have children that are interested in PM's. My 12 year old likes to monitor the BB trail with me and wants to go to the PM conference at the PMCA! My 16 yr old twins won't admit that they like the PM's (in public!) but I know that memories of having a PM colony will be with them forever.
Being a "Military Wife", I have lived in several areas of the country and Virginia is is definitely one of the prettiest!

Dick, that is a BB gourd. It is usually taken by Tree Swallows in the beginning of the season and BB at the end. This is the first time in 4 years that BB's didn't nest in it. :-( Last year I had 3 sets of BB's nesting on my property and this year, nothing. I'm not sure what is going on. I haven't even seen them at my meal worm feeder.
Fledge on!
Nanette