PMCA hat getting people interested in Purple Martins

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
The Olsons

My husband and myself purchased the Purple Martin hats at the PMCA. His is tangerine and mine is pink. Whenever we wear them going somewhere, some people will ask us about the logo on the hat. All of the sudden we find ourselves in the midst of a "Purple Martin Introduction Conversation" and some people seem really interested in what we have to say. Hopefully, they will follow up and become landlords some day as well.

I thought I share this with you since not everyone might know about these hats. They are really neat, and obviously cause people to ask questions and might get them interested in becoming a Purple Martin landlord themselves... :wink:

Astrid
Love it or leave it~~~Astrid :-)
Sparky

I have mine and get comments all the time. I have pictures of my "family" (martins :lol: ) in my office. People come in to look at them and I recruited a landlord last week. He said he had a house in his attic for 10 years and it has never been used. I gave him the primer and he is ordering a Multipurpose pole to mount it on! He said his Dad had martins in Michigan. I told him of the reduction in the martin population in Michigan over the years. He said he would call his Dad up and tell him he needs to put more housing up :grin:
I'm a "nestcamaholic" Is 18 hours a day a bad thing? (I have 2 this year, luckily I have 2 eyes!)
The Olsons

Sparky,

That's great news that you recruited a new landlord, possible his Dad as well :grin: :grin: :grin: I need to also put up some pictures in my office, but I took so many of my martins, that it is hard to decide which ones to choose
I know for sure a picture of our first pair, but after that.....they are all so precious and it seems every picture is special. I guess I need to work on that Purple Martin Wallpaper again....

Did your fledgling come back last night again?

Astrid
Dawn~KS

This does seem like a pretty painless way to get the subject going!! :grin: Although, I have done it many a time. Great idea, Astrid!

Here is a link to the hats:
http://purplemartin.org/shop/product_in ... 8d2ee1ff64

And a link to the t-shirts:
http://purplemartin.org/shop/product_in ... 8d2ee1ff64

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Al Denton
Martin Colony History: New site and housing for 2018...Trendsetter 12. 1 pair of subs. Fledged 5...2019...11 pairs

I do believe I'll have to have that hat in stone. Thanks Astrid...I hadn't seen the new style hat. I need to order some more "goodies" this week anyway :wink:
2018-new site...1 pair
2019-11 pairs
The Olsons

Dawn,

Thanks for providing the links :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

I just ordered a T-Shirt for Lynn and me each.... :oops: Since being a martin landlord I never have problems anymore to come up with a wish list for my birthday or Christmas.... :wink:

Astrid :grin: :grin: :grin:
Sparky

Astrid,

The fledgling did not come back. Once, early last week that stayed out 2 nights in a row. I'll check again tonight.

I did have 21 visitors this morning that hung around till noon. Really something! I think there is an assembly area out in the fields, but I couldn't find it. I'd need an amphibious vehicle to go through the fields! :lol:
I'm a "nestcamaholic" Is 18 hours a day a bad thing? (I have 2 this year, luckily I have 2 eyes!)
klcretired

Thanks for the info Astrid ,Like you I also have a couple of the older PM hats as well from the pmca and wear them all the time and people ask me questions as well about the Logo's and birds....it's a neat conversation tool.
thanks.
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
The Olsons

Sparky,

Sounds like that little one is all grown up now.... :cry: With all these visitors you had this morning checking you out, you might have quite a growth spurt next season. You should probably get lots of relaxation and more nest cams before next season starts :lol: :lol: :lol:

We have two nests left due to fledge in another couple of weeks. I do not know what these guys were doing. They never had eggs when we did nest checks, and then when the other fledglings were too old to do nest checks, those two pairs (in different systems) started bringing food in. Since the babies do not show at the entrance yet we can only assume that they are due to fledge in a couple of weeks. The one female would just always look out of the entrance, go feed for a while, and look out the entrance again. Just very relaxed, in no hurry for eggs and babies.....and now here we are :roll: We also have 5 fledglings that fledged on Thursday and their parents hang around a lot during the day, and except for some visitors that is pretty much it. Sad but true....(I guess that was Metallica's song).

Have a great weekend :wink:

Astrid
Sparky

Hey thanks Astrid. Best wishes on your season as it ends. It's dead quiet today, so that Houston roost is probably building fast.

Back on your post the hats are great, but the PMCA store needs to have larger pictures. Even the clicking enlarger only enlarges them slightly. If you could see how neat the hats are more would probably sell! :grin:

Edit: Oh yeah, I checked out a round trip flight to Sao Paulo, Brazil. It's $1100 and a 10 hour flight each way! This direct from Houston on Continental! If I could get a Brazilian tour guide that knows where the martin sites are at, I'd be a going!
The Olsons

Sparky,

You are right, the picture of the hats and the T-Shirts are pretty small on the web page.

How cool is that...a direct flight from Houston to Sao Paulo 8) 8) 8) We all should start looking for a tour guide, and maybe some time go as a group together and get a group rate discount. What do you think..... :wink:

Adiekaty got me all creative thinking yesterday with her post about the Purple Martin Christmas gifts she has planned. I think I will pick out some of my martin pictures and make my own T-Shirts as well....well, I am rambling on. Have a great day Sparky :grin: :grin: :grin:

Astrid