He's running a full-court press ...

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
cchild03

But I don't think it's gonna be enough! ;)

My subbie male has really stepped up his courtship of his lady friend. He's been on the PM house or flying around it pretty much constantly today. (Normally, he's just been visiting a couple of times each day, and there are a couple of days where he hasn't visited at all.) She's always with him today, but I haven't seen her land on the house at all. He calls and calls, and she eventually leaves. He follows her, and within 15-30 minutes, they're both back again with him landing on the house and her soaring around looking bored. I'm not sure what accommodations she's looking for, but I guess our place isn't it. :cry:

It looks like he'll have to be the flexible one in the relationship and let her pick the housing if they're ever going to have a family this year. It's getting late ...
Candace
Dawn~KS

Hi Candace.................it is not too late for you. I understand exactly what you are going through. I have at least 5 new birds here today and you are not too far from me. I would still hold out hope at least until the end of June. That was always the point in which I doubted it was going to happen......short of a miracle.

Wishing you the best!!
cchild03

Dawn,

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. It's always great to see other Kansans on the board!
Candace

Has he gone inside ?
cchild03

Yes, he's checked out several of the compartments. I also had and ASY pair visit on Saturday, and they went in and out of the compartments like they owned the place. I haven't seen the ASYs since then, but this subbie does seem interested ...
Candace

What mine did was everytime he would bring a female over to visit, he would dive into the gourd and sing "look what I can do".

If she didnt like it the first time, he would do it over and over again. Finally when she entered, he started talking martin talk with the clicking sound at the end.

He worked his butt off.

It could be because there are no other martins around. I have had the same thing happen to me as to you and they were here for a week and eventually took off because there are no other martins around. Martins like to be with many others. I know it sucks.
cchild03

WV Martineer,

What you describe is exactly what this guy is doing. He seems to be showing her all the different and exciting approach patterns to the house. He then shows her how cool it is to land on the roof. Then he'll go into a compartment, poke his head out, and start clicking and chattering. She, meanwhile, soars around and watches him and then eventually takes off. He's been working at this off and on for a couple of weeks now. Today, he seemed really persistent. Maybe it will pay off eventually, but I had the same thing happen last year with a lone subbie who never could attract a mate. I'm finding it harder and harder to keep up my enthusiasm. It seems like it's just not meant to be, but I know I've done everything I can. Whatever happens, happens.

Jwertz,

I've thought the same thing about her probably looking around for other martins. It probably seems like the remote frontier to her! I know others have lucked out and gotten a single pair to stay and start a colony, (and I know WV Martineer is experiencing this now) but I'm sure she'll pick another site with more PMs if she can find it. I wouldn't say we have a lot of PMs around Leavenworth. I know of several sites, but they're split 50/50 with HOSPs and PMs. This evening, I did a drive by of the closest setup to my house, and I only saw a lone ASY female as she was being harassed by a female HOSP. I feel bad that they've bonded to such a miserable site, but that may be how I get my colony established some day.

I'll be interested to see if he comes back with as much enthusiasm tomorrow of if he'll give up and try to find another place where the ladies are a little more willing. ;)
Candace
cchild03

Well, the little guy was still out there at first light. And his lady friend was around, too, though not on the PM house. She landed on a power line in front of my house while he sat and groomed himself on the roof of the PM house in the back of my house. When I came inside, it looked like she was feeding over the pastures while he remained on the roof.

We'll see if he can get her convinced to check things out more today. I take it as a slightly encouraging sign that she hasn't abandoned him altogether.
Candace

Candace, sounds like the male likes your site. The females seem to be the choosy ones. (imagine that) :lol:

Does the male seem to have a favorite cavity picked out? Once my male bonded to his gourd, he didnt mess with the rest of the cavities much, and the female seemed to focus more .

I hope they stay.