Starlings get through factory crescent

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
RC Moser

Starlings get through factory crescent

Postby RC Moser » Wed May 02, 2007 9:59 pm

WOW, Four four years I have had little starling problems. This year they are getting through everything. I seen a pair starlings go right through a factory untouched crescent on my red barn. I killed the starling course this is after they kicked a Pair of PMs out. This was done in less than three days.

I removed the doors and measured the openings measured 30.5MM. So. I tweaked them back to 30.1MMs. Hopefully they can't get in now. We'll see. Anybody in my area IMO this is the height of the nest competition, keep a close eye out.

Shari G

Postby Shari G » Wed May 02, 2007 10:03 pm

They are getting through my WDC / Conley's too!!! I'm afraid they are going to kick out my only pair and it took me 3 months to get them!
:x :x :x
I'm scared spitless....First there was one....now there's a pair. I've got a round hole Supergourd trap near the house....6 S&K gourds open to round and I'm going to round out the S&K house since it doesn't have PM's....If I can get these to commit to a compartment then hopefully I can get them in a universal trap.
I can't get a shot off w/o missing or them flying off.
Proud "Mother" of Edgar / Dottie and (32?) 2009 Fledglings!!! :D

Julio

Postby Julio » Wed May 02, 2007 10:04 pm

Wow looks like its time for Excluder 2s, i keep wondering if these starlings are a smaller race or perhaps starlings that have tried and failed and eventually found a way to breach the entrances. The starlings around here rarely try more than 3 times to enter the crescents and then move on to the next compartment. I then wait for them a the end of the housing to give them a nice lead surprise.

Don Mock

Postby Don Mock » Thu May 03, 2007 12:21 am

I've also had some starlings defeating one of my crescents this spring for the first time. Of course, the best remedy is to eliminate them ASAP by whatever means. I hope this isn't the beginning of adjustments they're making to our defenses. I tried switching the entrance to no avail. So far their attention has been on only one gourd of my 12-gourd pole. I have all Nature Line's plastic gourds, and really like them with modifications I've made. More importantly, the martins do also.
Everyone keep an eye out to see if they are having success against other types of entrances. This may be just a reminder that these entrances are called starling " resistant" entrances and not starling "proof".
I don't have a severe starling infestation in my rural setting, but they are just as persistent and dangerous once they invade whether there's 2 or 200. I try to equip each of these pieces of trash with a .22 entrance hole as quickly as I can.
"Enjoying His blessings on purple wings!"

Peggy Riley

Postby Peggy Riley » Thu May 03, 2007 7:52 am

Don, I've been pretty successful with the Natureline trap. It's a nice big round hole for them!

geezer

Postby geezer » Thu May 03, 2007 9:06 am

peggy,

I also like the Natureline Trap. It is very successful.

The problem is BlueBirds, Purple Martins, and other birds find it attractive also. I am gone for 12 hours most days, and don't like to take the chance of harming my favorite birds.

However, the Starlings are such a problem this year, that I have had to use the Natureline traps more than I like.

geezer

Al Denton
Martin Colony History: New site and housing for 2018...Trendsetter 12. 1 pair of subs. Fledged 5...2019...11 pairs

Postby Al Denton » Thu May 03, 2007 9:16 am

Earlier this season I had a starling going in and out of a factory crescented SG with clip-on porches like it was a round hole. He was back in a few minutes with a female and a mouth full of nesting material. I quickly lowered the setup and removed all four SG's. I removed the clip-ons, cut them in half, turned them over and mounted the two halves flush with the bottom of the crescent with two small bolts and nuts. After that adjustment the starling didn't have a chance to get in. When he got down into position to enter his legs were off the front of the porch and couldn't push himself in. Porch height is critical.
2018-new site...1 pair
2019-11 pairs

Matt F.

Postby Matt F. » Thu May 03, 2007 10:53 am

This defintely makes one wonder.

There is a limited number of cavities for starlings (gaps under building eaves, holes in steel utlilty poles and traffic light poles), and I would think that the starling population is increasing at a much faster rate than the number of suitable, new nesting structures are being erected.
This may mean that competition amongst starlings for these cavities might be getting pretty intense, possibly causing many starlings to become desperate to find new nest site possibilities, and take another look at nest sites that they may otherwise haved passed on.
Maybe even so desperate, that they are forcing themselves to learn to traverse many starling resistant, Martin house holes, that in years past, they may have tried a couple of times, and then moved on to that comfy cavity inside the traffic light pole.

Starlings strike me as the type of bird that have such a STRONG drive to procreate, that even if using a starling resistant hole was painful, or even caused injury, it would not stop them.

These more and more frequent reports of starlings not only entering starling resistant compartments, but even nesting in them, is truly scary stuff.

bird fan

Postby bird fan » Thu May 03, 2007 11:06 am

The unfortunate thing is that a starling can learn from other birds entering or leaving a nest box or cavity, there also seems to be more starlings this year because of the mild winter. They don't have migration skills like most song birds. So they usually hang out near farms or wherever they can weather the winter. Farms have a lot of feed around and they will take advantage of any food lying around. Up here in Wisconsin where farms are everywhere you will see them hanging out. If we have a cold spell of about 3-4 weeks below zero this will put a strain on them and cause a big die off. But our winters haven't been as severe as a decade ago and there surviving. I strongly belive that climate change is helping the Starlings now more than ever and thus more competition for nesting and this is a time bomb for birds like the Martin and Bluebird. All we can do is try our best to eradicate them, and try to teach people on the devastation they can cause.
Greg Z

John Miller

Postby John Miller » Thu May 03, 2007 11:38 am

I'm having a few problems too this year.

RC, what do you think at an established site is the best SREH (maybe a dangerous question) to 1. admit martins and 2. restrict starlings?

A crescent at 1 3/16, mounted flush? A WDC (modified excluder) or excluder II, which actually are slightly taller than 1 3/16 but rely on the humps to block starlings at the hips. I guess I'm leaning toward the latter, but would like your opinion.

To further muddy things, I know one smart landlord who makes his own WDCs and makes them 1 3/16. He says martins use them fine. Probably a good choice too.

John Miller

Carlton
Martin Colony History: I moved to South Florida, from Delaware, in August of 2015.

I will have 2 MSS-8 houses, with Excluder entrances, here on my condo grounds. This season I will also have two Delux Gourd Racks with 24 Excluder Gourds with Modified Excluder entrances. In our condo development, along the lake in a different section, I have 7 Excluder Gourds hanging from 84 inch Shepherd's Hooks with predator guards.

At Quiet Waters Park, nearby in Deerfield Beach, I have a Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 TVG's. I also have an rack with 12 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder entrances.

At another local park, Tradewinds Park at Coconut Creek, I have a Trendsetter 12, 5 gourds rack with 60 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder Entrances and 1 Delux Gourd Rack with 12 Troyer Vertical Gourds with wing guards over the Conley II to keep out smaller starlings.

Cut Porch, Invert and Mount Flush with the Entrance Hole

Postby Carlton » Thu May 03, 2007 5:07 pm

Al, I did the same thing as you with the clip on porches and mounted them flush with the bottom of the SREH I have never seen a starling get even close to entering in spite of heavy starling pressure.

starling shooter

Postby starling shooter » Thu May 03, 2007 5:35 pm

Had great luck so far with the porchless clingers. I think the are near starling proof.

Postby Guest » Thu May 03, 2007 6:40 pm

I am seeing starlings and sparrows at my colony like never before. I believe that in northern regions winter kills them off in large numbers. We had an extremely mild winter - would that explain the numbers?

In the south do starlings go thru low and high cycles like other species or is there another explanation for this population explosion?

Al Denton
Martin Colony History: New site and housing for 2018...Trendsetter 12. 1 pair of subs. Fledged 5...2019...11 pairs

Re: Cut Porch, Invert and Mount Flush with the Entrance Hole

Postby Al Denton » Fri May 04, 2007 5:46 am

Al, I did the same thing as you with the clip on porches and mounted them flush with the bottom of the SREH I have never seen a starling get even close to entering in spite of heavy starling pressure.
Then you know the routine with the inside-outside flush porch Carlton. In order for the starling to even get into position to enter he has to get down so far his long legs fly out from under him and hang off the front of the porch(lip turned down on the porch) Laying on his belly he can only flounder there with no toehold or no leverage at the bottom of the entrance. He's stand up, shakes himself off and scratches his head. He can't even begin to slide through. After a few tries he flies off. I've never been a fan of the porch, but if a flush mount porch makes a sreh even more starling proof I think I'm leaning towards it. I've also watched starlings try to enter unporched srehs. Although I've never seen one enter a unporched factory sreh, they seem to make a little more headway getting in.
2018-new site...1 pair
2019-11 pairs

Tim Mangan-Kansas
Martin Colony History: 2016 - 22 Pair

Postby Tim Mangan-Kansas » Fri May 04, 2007 5:47 am

I, as others have mentioned, have noticed more posts this season about starlings breaching SREH in our housing. Don't know if it has been happening every season and is just getting reported more this year or if the scummers are actually getting smarter.

I would like to pose a question based on my observation with a pair of starlings I have been dealing with. I live on a lake and from the end of my dock, I can see seven martin houses in addition to mine, all unattended and all with round holes. I keep reading that starlings love round holes. This pair of starlings I "had" picked one of my Troyer gourds with a crescent opening, which they had no problem entering or exiting. This has gotten me to wonder if starlings are communal in nature somewhat like our martins.

Do starlings prefer to nest in housing where other birds are also present and nesting?

Tim

Al Denton

Postby Al Denton » Fri May 04, 2007 6:40 am

Maybe a coincidence Tim, but the starling that was giving me such a fit wanted the gourd that my martin pair were roosting in at the time. That's scary.
2018-new site...1 pair
2019-11 pairs

Postby Guest » Fri May 04, 2007 7:00 am

Tim, I know of one abandoned PM site wit 2 wooden houses with approx.50 compartments. They are 10feet apart and host at least 25 pairs of starling. From afar it looks just like a martin colony.
Am trying to come up with the best way to approach the landlord - his wife is proud of having birds 'nest' on their property :evil:

SoIndyDon

Postby SoIndyDon » Fri May 04, 2007 7:09 am

Tim, you have a good point. As I hunt down Starlings in my next door neighbor's farm, I've learned a little about Starling behavior. Yes, they are communal in nature. A broken down garage hosts 6 -12 pair each year (but getting much less recently). Old grain conveyors are a favorite of the Starlings. Strangley, my enticing box trap is not the magnet that the grain conveyors are. The box trap is behind my bat box and by the trees offering all that a Starling should want. But it's unfamiliar, and the Starlings hesitate.

I think Starlings look to see what's successful. If a bunch of martins seem to have it really good at your house, the Starlings will beat the martins out for that site over an empty martin site.

Think of it this way. Starlings are only mankind in bird form. Big, aggressive, ready to take from the other guy any thing they can is the MO. They are Europeans like most of us. We shoved the native Americans off the good lands and off to poor pickings. Europeans looked to where the land supported the most native Americans, and moved in. That's what the Starlings are emulating. Starlings have all the advantages to multiply and dominate. Just like us.

RC Moser

Postby RC Moser » Fri May 04, 2007 5:37 pm

" From John Miller, RC, what do you think at an established site is the best SREH (maybe a dangerous question) to 1. admit martins and 2. restrict starlings? "

Yes, a tough question. IMO if the crescents are cut at 30.0MM they are the most restrictive in area. The Orginal excluder IMO at the entry body area are the most restrictive, but overall have more area than crescents.

I attempted to make several of my own srehs and have a few that work but need more tweeking. Some have humps and some don't. My attempt over five years to come up with a prefect restrictor I have learned that starlings can enter a very small hole, smaller than most think. Starlings are real close to the same size as PMs with only slighly larger in the hips. I have observed starling laying flat and going into a hole, after the upper body is through their legs pop right through.
IMO any sreh over 30.3MM has the potential to let a starling through. We all know starling are more determined than PMs. I post my overlay again and you can see there is little difference in height. I haven't tried clingers do to I have porches on all my house still, so I won't comment on them.

Matt F.

Postby Matt F. » Fri May 04, 2007 9:25 pm

RC,
Your drawings are fantastic!

Would it be possible to post that same drawing, but larger in size?

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”