Highland Mall Roost

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

We had the thrill of a life time last night as Don and I drove to Austin, and met Angela at the Highland Mall to witness the roost. The martins began arriving after 8:00, and continued, and continued, and continued. It was absolutely amazing and we were like little kids. We have been told the roost has been there for maybe as 20 years, one security guard told us that they have been there for his 10 years. A local motel has had them run off of their area, but so far the mall is being kind, thank God. We had three cameras going, but Don was told by one guard that picture taking was a no no....while the other guards said nothing, so I do not want to stir up anything with any officials there, they do a wonderful job of trying to keep the area safe. The martins are in 7 oak trees on the Foleys side, next to the lit object they have erected as a lightning rod for the mall. If any of you can go, it is awesome.
Attachments
martins coming in.jpg
martins coming in.jpg (25 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
martins everywhere.jpg
martins everywhere.jpg (27.14 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
these photos were taken last night at the roost. thousands of martins, a million thrills!!!!!!
these photos were taken last night at the roost. thousands of martins, a million thrills!!!!!!
wow.jpg (18.66 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
Dale Davis

Holly, Those pictures are awesome. :grin: I know you will remember that sight for a long time. Glad you got to see them.

Dale

Dale you are so right :!: :!: We were like children at Christmas hollering, Oh look, look!!!! :!: :grin: :grin: it was amazing
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Oh, Holly... I am so happy you and Don got to see the roost in Austin.

They provide a breathtaking experience that will never be forgotten.

Your pictures look alot like mine. :) Thank you for sharing them with us.
Sincerely,
Laverne
Ken&Sheryle - TX

Holly,

We went a couple of years to go to the Roost....It was such an exciting experience. I want to go again....but I don't think I will make it this year.

It is like being at Christmas with 100 of gifts in the air...I loved watching them.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Have a Blessed Day,

Sheryle

P.S. We still have 2 baby birds that come back in the evening to spend a night. They should be gone in a couple of days...the last ones:((((
Martin's Rule!!!!!!!!!
Sharon - Central TX
Martin Colony History: All Troyer Horizontal Gourds with Conley Entrances
PMCA Member since 2004

We live about 35-40 mi. north of the Highland roost. For about the past 3-4 weeks martins have been visiting our house almost every day. Not just a couple of martins, but today I saw probably around 100! As many as can get on the perch, others on the porches and several fly around it. Do you think these birds are migrating to Highland Mall? And would they be the same birds each time or different ones? It IS very encouraging for next year since I lost my first ever nest of babies to a snake this year :-(.
We went to the roost last year and it was awesome. I think we were a little late though as there weren't as many birds as I expected. I'm glad they are protecting them down there.
Sharon
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Hello Sharon.

I'm glad to hear you are having so many visitors. It is my opinion that the birds you are seeing could be migrating from colonies north of you and moving into the Highland Mall Roost. But, they also could be part of the Highland Mall Roost. The PMCA says Purple Martins will hang out at a roost for as long as a month. During this time they spread into the area around the roost feeding and visiting colony sites, regaining their strength after breeding, before setting out on the "real" migration.

So, these could be the same birds visiting day after day - or, they could be different birds - sounds like plenty of potential nesters for next year are enjoying your site.

Enjoy - and best wishes for great success next season. It's good to hear from you...
Sincerely,
Laverne

Hi Sharon, sorry it has taken me so long for the reply, but I just got back from New Hampshire. I absolutely think that the martins you are having are on the way to join the roost. The security guard said that the martins are always through August, so in my humble opinion, thats their destination. :grin:
Sharon - Central TX
Martin Colony History: All Troyer Horizontal Gourds with Conley Entrances
PMCA Member since 2004

Thank you for your replies Laverne and Holly. I have to agree with you both :-). Either they are on their way there to Highland or out flying around once they get there. Hows that for sitting on the fence (LOL). Whichever the case, it has been quite a sight to behold.
Sharon
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Holly, I am happy that you got to see the roost, your photos look like our roost, so I imagine the rossts are all awesome!
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps