ASY male having difficulty entering compartment.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
brent

Despite putting 2- 1/4 inch wide strips of tract tape in front of the entrance he still has a difficult time getting in. I spaced the tape 1/4 inch apart and about the same from the entrance. Should I add more so that there is little to no space between the 2 pieces? It takes him about 3 to 4 attempts to get in. The female has no problem at all. She basically flys right in.
Brent
Birdiegirl
Martin Colony History: 2020- Late start, but lots of visitors
2021-

I have a similar situation- but with a SY female. She's a bit large- and it often takes her numerous tries to get in/out of the SREH. I thought perhaps she just wasn't used to the SREH and would get used to it in time. Not so much- and she's built a nest. It's like she gets one of her shoulders hung and has to wriggle herself through the space. I don't want to enlarge the opening because we do have starlings around us. Any suggestions?
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- Visitors.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021- 28 pair. 118 fledged
Home colony: mix natural, super and excluder gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satellite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mini castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021: 10 pair, 30 fledged
PMCA member

Yeah Brent add just a bit more. I've noticed trouble here too, especially when brining in food. I think they use their beaks somehow to pull, noticed it on the way out bet same thing is going on inside. They don't seem to like to do that when they have food for chick's.
Just don't advise widening your entrances
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
brent

Birdiegirl, search "adding traction to entrances".
Brent
Birdiegirl
2021-

Thank you- I’ll do that
Birdiegirl
2021-

I searched 'adding traction to entrances'- thanks for the tip! It never occurred to me that the struggling to get through the entrance could be a traction issue. After shopping the internet, I decided to opt for the 'skateboard tape', because I could get it in lighter colors- even clear. My husband pointed out that using dark colored tape might not be a good idea- he likened it to burning your feet on a hot deck/concrete. Hadn't thought about that, but maybe he's right. The tape will be here tomorrow, so I'll install on Friday's nest check. I'll be sure to post about how it goes. THANK you landlords for sharing with us newbies!
C.C.Martins
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
Home colony: mix natural, super and excluder gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satellite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mini castle with enlarged compartments.
PMCA member

Hi birdiegirl,
Iv been using it for a few years. You can put it right close to the entrances in strips or a square. Close to the entrance is best, thats where they seem to need the boost as they are crouching low to scoot in. Until it comes in perhaps you can use a sharp knife and scour the porch a bit more for him.
Hadn't thought of the heat, all mine are black and the strips are small I'm not too concerned.

Hope your "guy" is put to ease.
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: 21 year colony. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

Traction tape definitely helps, especially on the inside. I’ve noticed martins having some difficulty with sreh, when they first encounter them, but after a week or 2, they all eventually go in and out like experts. Getting out, they may wiggle a bit, but that’s normal. The holes are meant to be a tight squeeze, obviously, to keep out the starlings.
Don’t worry, they all get the hang of it, eventually.
Good luck to all
Rob
birdman in buckhead
Martin Colony History: 2018: 1 pair, 5 fledged
2019: 3 pairs, 10 fledged
2020: 3 pairs, 13 fledged
2021: 13 pairs, 46 fledged

Hi Y'all - This is only my opinion, and this is only my 4th year of being a PM landlord. I thought the same at first - the entrance was too small, and large males had trouble getting in, but from what I have seen, when birds want to get in pronto, they get in without any problem at all! I don't know why they seem to struggle at times. Maybe they just get lazy like old men do. LOL!

Cheers!
Birdman BinB
GEAUX TIGERS!

Cheers!
Birdman
C.C.Martins
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
PMCA member

Thats the case for the most part. they just don't like the small entrances and pressure on their backs.

However there are those that try and try but can't, their mate makes it just fine...some will sleep on the porches and thats bad for a number of reasons...owls, other predators and feeding chicks.

Its just another technique that helps.

Wish I had a technique for the age thing! This old guy was moving rocks yesterday and my back is killing me.
Tom