still playing dawnsong and daytime chatter

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

still playing dawnsong and daytime chatter

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:10 pm

I was wondering I know it's late in my area for nestingsI live in NJ. I'm continuing to play both tapes all day. I notice everyday I get martins flying around and checking on my site. This is my fourth year and still trying. I really believe next year will be my year with all the sitings that I have seen. It's Sat afternoon and I just saw a male martin flying around my martin house. My question is this is the first year that I have been playing the cd's religiously by doing so does my chances of having a nesting pair increase with all the sitings that I have seen?

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:55 pm

Don't know how to address the issue of sightings and chances of starting a colony. I do know that several years I played the Dawn Song all day. When martins finally would come, the hawks would come too....that ended the martins beging at the house. So I would advise playing for short periods of time only. I think the PMCA recommends from 4-6 or 4-7 am.
Sharon Kerbs

Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Postby Laverne » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:03 pm

It has been proven that the "sounds" of a PM colony will attract investigating PMs to fly in to your colony, even land, and look around. Whether any of these birds will move in to your housing and nest is still totally up to the individual Purple Martin.

Not knowing your site or its layout, leaves us at a disadvantage. I would say seeing increased activity in your area is a plus. But, there are many things that could prevent PMs from nesting at your site. Only you know for sure...

Have you read all the information on the PMCA Download Center? The articles there are filled with valuable information to help you make an honest evaluation of your site.

Good luck to you.
Sincerely,
Laverne

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”