A bit of good news

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Elmo

Last year I moved about 20 miles west, still North of San Antonio. I put up my old 12 apt house and a separate pole with 4 super gourds in January. Nada.
This week I finally had some visitors. It looks like three juveniles have finally found my martin accommodations. I don't anticipate any nest this year, but maybe they will tell some friends and bring them here next year.
flyin-lowe

Did you have an established colony that you moved from?

I had to move and leave a colony behind a few years ago. Curious how you did things. When we sold our house I already had the martin housing up and they were about to arrive so the new owner agreed to leave it up. I kind of thought he might take interest. I knew I was moving less then 10 miles away so my strategy was to leave the housing behind and get as many breeding pair as I could so the following year I would have more SY's in the area. When we sold out house we hadn't bought a place yet. That year there ended up being 30 pair that fledged 100. The following year the new owners of our old house didn't want the housing up so I took it all down and moved it to my new place. That spring the martins arrived and circled the yard for about a week and finally spread out. I had a whole group of ASY's show up at my new place and I really thought they were my displaced martins, who had found their old housing at a new location. They stayed for 4 days and then the 5th day the flew off not to be seen again. it took several more years to get established at my new place. I am certain added a bunch of ASY's to someone's colony.
202160 nests with 187 eggs (6-3-20) HOSP count-9
2020 Currently 42 nest, Fledged approx 164 HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional lone SY's
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
Elmo

I moved last fall so all the martins had already departed. It looks like I now have between 4 and 5 martins hanging around. They appear to be juvies, but I could have a SY female. My last nest check looked like an attempt at building. Earlier this year a couple of PeeWees moved into my gourds and I cleared all the gourds but one. I guess the PeeWees didnt care for my modifications, so they left. It looks like my current martins have claimed their gourd. I will keep an I on them and see what develops.