Almost gave up...ASY Male showed up today....Then I killed 3 HSP's

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Jones4381
Martin Colony History: Newbie 51 years old and stumbled onto this by accident. Amazing bird. Just wanna help and give/receive happiness and be one with nature. Don't mind shooting an intruder of any kind though. Have a blessed day.

Kinda figured I'd struck out for year two and maybe I still will but walking the field this morning and upon returning to the house saw a ASY Male sitting on a BO11 :grin: . I had kinda given up this year and was about ready to take down gourds and houses. HSP's were chirping away yesterday and starting to make a nest...I lowered one house with two gourds underneath it. They moved to second house with 6 BO9's under it. Grabbed 12 gauge and was able to take out 2 males and 1 female. The ASY male flew off as I walked under the 3rd rack of gourds 6 BO11's and 6 natural gourds. Hope he comes back and brings some mates. Any way I'll keep shooting the starlings and HSP's to give em a chance. Best of luck to others trying to start new colony this year. Good thing is I've been watching my bluebirds raise their 5 chicks about to fledge next week. Got 2 Tree Swallows in a single smaller gourd about 35 feet away from the main PM housing (as I learned in here) and they have just finished laying and began sitting this week. Maybe i'll get the triple and a pair or two of PM"s will pair up.
51 year old HY beginner. Year 1 for me!
deancamp

I sure hope he stays, I don't think an asy male would have trouble finding a mate. Are you playing the dawnsong?Regardless if he stays or not leave your housing up all season long. Martins will see it throughout the year and this years fledglings might zone in on it to come back to next year. Think of it as free advertising for next year. Good Luck!
Jeff Dean
TNMartins

Get those Tree Swallows as far away as you can. If you can move their nest a few feet away per day do it. Maybe move it to a shepherd’s hook and then ‘adjust’ it a little farther away each day. They will absolutely chase the Martin’s away if your PM cavities are within about 100 yards of a TS nest.

We’ve had TS nearby the past 2 years while trying to get a PM colony started and they run everything off. This year I kept all of the PM cavities closed until there was no sign of TS and it worked. No sign of them now - and a PM has been visiting / overnighting for a couple weeks now.
12 S&K B09 Gourds w/ 2 S&K barns converted to 6 cavities each

2016 - 0 visits
2017 - Few visitors late summer
2018 - 1 Pair, 5 Fledged
2019 - Visitors
2020 - Visitors
flyin-lowe

I would leave the tree swallows where they are as it appears to be working. Right now the tree swallows will not allow other tree swallows in the immediate area. If you moved your TS much further away then another pair of tree swallows will move into your martin housing.
Congrats on the ASY, hoe he sticks around.
202160 nests with 187 eggs (6-3-20) HOSP count-9
2020 Currently 42 nest, Fledged approx 164 HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional lone SY's
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.