Lit up scarecrow to dissuade owls question.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
brent

Hi everyone,
I saw a Great Horned Owl perched in a tree not far from my bird houses tonight. I read somewhere that setting up a scarecrow and putting a light on it would help deter the owl. Has anyone had experience with this? Thanks, Brent
Whippy
Martin Colony History: See Signature

Brent,

I don't have experience with owls but it makes sense to give it a try. You may not even have to put a light on it as owls can see pretty good in the dark. I'd park the scare crow right under the rack and let it blow in the wind. Then move him to a slightly different position the next night. Maybe put one of those reflective construction vests on him. I'll bet those look pretty bright at night to an owl. Worth a shot.

That's my $0.02

Coolwhips
2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged
brent

Will do. Thanks Whippy.
asop

Several years back I had the owl problem also. Put up a rather heavy 2" X 4" metal "screen". An owl hit that thing and did real damage and scared the matins away. Couldn't believe it.
brent

Asop,
So the screen didn't work? And the martins, did they return? How are you handling it now?
Brent
daveh

I had a hunter scarecrow dressed up in a florescent hunting coat that I moved around. It did nothing. I have six flood lights in the back yard facing my martin houses and gourds. I leave them on all night so I can see what's going on. I could almost read the owls mind, laughing at me and my silly scarecrow.

Several years ago people were trying the inflatable floppy man to help deter owls. I never heard that they worked and I don't hear anybody today using them. You think something flopping around at night like a floppy man might work but guess not.

Dave
PMCA member