Lone male survived a COLD night

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

South Louisiana.. Broussard La. we were below freezing since yesterday evening.. with freezing rain and sleet- maybe a bit of snow.. this morning in in the teens w/ blue skies.

I lowered gourds around 2 pm ( 34f and Sunny) to check for bodies.. no dead martins.

Around 4pm my male martin was perched on his gourd porch chirping softly.. then he went back into the gourd . A few days ago I put pine straw in most of the gourds and house cavities. So he’s got a nice bed of straw under him. One more cold night.. but not as cold as last night. I hope he was able to grab some bugs today.

Anywho.. a little good news from Broussard.

https://youtu.be/CQc3fZBhWxQ
Last edited by dsonyay on Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA made adjustments and next year was successful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021:
Home colony: mix natural gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 gourds: PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021:
PMCA member

That is good news! Its quite a relief isnt it. My wife saw 4 out yesterday, 3 today but she isn't glued to the systems like I am. Any martin sighting after this horrible stuff is great.
I fed them again last night (or at least offered a bunch of superworms on their porches). Got a whole bunch from Mr barrow. Used that long pole with cup and got them up there, only 4 martins, 8 gourds to choose from. Divided them up equally, the martins keep jumping gourds and as I'm getting home after dark its guesswork.
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

I put a link to a short video of the brave guy in original post
brent

Nice to see him. I hope my birds can go out and find food tomorrow. I need to check the compartments. I know they are tired and hungry. Praying tomorrow's warmer day will be good for them.
Brent
dsonyay

Yeah I was very relieved. He must have fed today somewhere (it was about 35 by later afternoon and very sunny.

My buddy down the road had a dead PM on the ground. He has about 8 or 9 now. This afternoon they were all on his roof soaking up the reflected from the shingles. He sent me a pick.. it was weird to see.

Low tonight will be about 25 or so , then mid 40s for a high. Thurs and friday will be a cold and rainy
mwren
Martin Colony History: I have had my martin colony on the dam of one of my ponds for nine years. The colony has grown each year, but I am now concentrating on helping friends and acquaintances who have shown interests in martins. My colony consists of three T-14's with 8 Troyer gourds attatched to each T-14, a Troyer gourd rack with 12 gourds, and another gourd rack with 18 Troyer gourds for a total of 96 nest cavities. I am having serious predation issues with hawks and owls and am experimenting with various hawk guards and "screens". Established successful supplemental feeding the last few seasons and have had a blast flipping mostly meal worms and some crickets. Faculty from Ohio University are using my colony as a research site to study parasites that target cavity nesting birds. In exchange for access to my bird trail nest boxes and martin housing, they are banding all birds involved in their study.

Hang in there and keep flipping meal worms and/or crickets. Hopefully your birds are used to seeing you down below the colony, and will learn that you are trying to flip food at them.
We are pulling for you to save your colonies !!

Bird
Mike "Bird" Wren
dsonyay

Can’t do it unfortunately. Away from home at the moment. Saw him hanging outside for a bit Monday, then I had to go to work for a few days.

I’m not expecting much good news.

My buddy down the road has lost a few already. As of yesterday, he’s got about a dozen still alive. They are in two groups huddled together. He’s sent some really cool pics. Bad news is He’s had about 6 die.

Even in the freezing conditions and rain/sleet.. he’s been spotting them flying around , in and out of the compartments.

Good news is there are many many more arriving over the next few weeks. Mother Nature is rough