2021 season starting earlier than I thought

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

3 martins arrived last weekend which is the earliest I’ve ever had returning martins arrive. Usually it’s been March.

2 males and a female. Didn’t see much of them this weekend.. very cold and rainy.

This morning i heard some PM chatter and there’s one male buzzing the gourd rack. Peeking inside the gourds and house.

My buddy down the road has a really nice T14 and has had his colony for years. He’s had a few at his place for over two weeks.

Last year I had 4 pairs and a lot of eggs and hatchlings but a low fledge count due to mites and some pesky SY males. Gonna fix the mite problem this year. The four years prior I had nothing. I’d moved here from Slidell and was doing pretty good there.

I’m thinking this will be a really good year.
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: 2018 1 lone nut and lots of visitors
2019 6 pair -21fledged
2020 18 pair -60 fledged
2021......to be seen.
24 natural gourds on a satellite rack,9 other gourds scattered around
2-12 compartment trio houses
Rarely see a sparrow or starling,but when I do they don’t last long!
Will have a second satellite rack for the 2022 season and phase out the houses,the martins here strongly prefer natural gourds.

Sonya, I would expect that your colony will see a good growth this year! You’ll really enjoy it.
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

Call me David :)

My last name is Sonnier (sonyay)

Thanks very much... hoping so too.

I had the gourd rack down earlier this morning checking a few things out and lubricating the pulleys ... two more began circling and yelling at me for waiting til the last minute to do all this stuff.
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA made adjustments and next year was successful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021:
Home colony: mix natural gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 gourds: PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021:
PMCA member

David,
Good luck this season! Sounds like your off to a great start, despite the complaints from our friends.
Mites are horrible, last year thought id had em licked. No mites visible on chick's, or compartment. Had an older group of chick's so plugged the entrance with a foam plug, did the check and when I pulled the plug, stuck it in my pocket. Felt crawling on my hand and there were mites, pulled the plug from my pocket and they were all over it. Dusted it, plugged the entrance again and looked. Mites in the entry way! Crazy, spot but there they were. Killed em all. Washed like crazy, we have some pet birds, do not want them in the house!
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: 2018 1 lone nut and lots of visitors
2019 6 pair -21fledged
2020 18 pair -60 fledged
2021......to be seen.
24 natural gourds on a satellite rack,9 other gourds scattered around
2-12 compartment trio houses
Rarely see a sparrow or starling,but when I do they don’t last long!
Will have a second satellite rack for the 2022 season and phase out the houses,the martins here strongly prefer natural gourds.

Sorry sonnier, I just noticed how I spelled it last time :oops: I wouldn’t want that either. I really knew it was sonnier from the spelling of Sonyay .......only a native louisianaian would. All out friends up north would have that all messed up!
dsonyay

PMDavid wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:08 pm
Sorry sonnier, I just noticed how I spelled it last time :oops: I wouldn’t want that either. I really knew it was sonnier from the spelling of Sonyay .......only a native louisianaian would. All out friends up north would have that all messed up!
Hahahah.. no worries at all :)