Covington La Arrivals

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Roymg

Have today 5 males beginning to settle in. Was touch and go for awhile because of a Blue Bird pair clamied their 2 BB houses plus our Martin house. Gave these Martins fits. So I had to retrain the BB's. All is well now and everyone is happy again.
brent

Good to hear! They are coming in but it's cold. So far I have 8 (4 males and 4 females). Soon the houses will be full. Have a great season!
Brent
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA made adjustments and next year was successful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021:
Home colony: mix natural gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 gourds: PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021:
PMCA member

Very nice to have them back isnt it. Congrats!
So far, nada at the house. Nearby colony birds have arrived and getting more every day. A maybe sighting at our satellite site, way too early for those martins I think.
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: 2018 1 lone nut and lots of visitors
2019 6 pair -21fledged
2020 18 pair -60 fledged
2021......to be seen.
24 natural gourds on a satellite rack,9 other gourds scattered around
2-12 compartment trio houses
Rarely see a sparrow or starling,but when I do they don’t last long!
Will have a second satellite rack for the 2022 season and phase out the houses,the martins here strongly prefer natural gourds.

Hi there guys, I have a question for ROYMG....... I seem to have two martins and also have a pack of four bluebirds. Yesterday one Martin ducked right in and the other wanted to check different gourds. The bluebirds ran it off like a dozen time before she finally went in. And then this morning my wife texted me at work and said they were at it again and wouldn’t let that one land. So roymg what exactly is your technique to “retrain” the BB’s ?
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

Is someone still maintaining the PM houses that were located on the lake? When I lived in Slidell I had helped the Doctor who was spearheading the project. He had to move away and so did I later on, so I thought the houses may be doomed.
Roymg

David,

All I can tell you is you just have to put the fear into those BB's anyway you can.
I too now have another pair to maybe deal with. My Martins seems to leave early and don't come back until dark. This is not normal as they should be spending more time at the house. Martins are so passive and don't show a lot of fight until they have young ones. Good luck with the BB's.
Roymg

Dsonyay,

The doctor you mentioned that took care of the Martin house by the lake in Slidell, was
his first name David? He once asked me if I wanted to come down and visit the site but
I never did. Just wondering, I haven't heard anymore about that location.
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

Roy.. that was probably me (I’m David). His name was Bo. Can’t remember his last name. But he was the guy that managed the houses and I had heard about it and helped him out. Lotta work. I seriously doubt if those houses are out there anymore. If you ever drive along the lake see if they're still out there. Should be one on the ends of each little jetty