T-14 Contruction Questions

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Hanaho01

1. Looking over plans for T-14. Am thinking i might use either a troyer or S&k tunnel vs hole.. Not having either in hand was wondering about the setup for the tunnel. Would I still use the same hole layout as noted in the plans just drilling a 3 in hole vs a 2 in?

2. Has anyone done a mod to the plan to make the box just a bit wider to allow for more room for the nestlings. Am simply thinking of 7" wide. Am doing this for my bluebirds. Box is jammed with they have 5-6 young. Actually built a Tree Swallow box that is bigger than std BB size and the bluebirds took it over and raised 5 young

Just playing around with idea's. Still trying to find a suitable pole locally. If anyone lives in Nashville area and has a suggestion where to look I would appreciate.

Have been reading old post and am amazed at some of the things built for martin boxes. Some awesome woodworkers here. Actually liking the idea of the individual Chalets too. Giving me things to think about before i finalize my plan

Randy
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Randy
Hi Randy,
Use the Troyer tunnel with the mounting plate included. In doing so, you simply screw in the four corners of the plate to the T 14 and have a hole that matches the tunnel from the front of the T14 compartments. I put hinges on the wooden T 14 doors and then the tunnel simply swings open. I use spring style hooks with eye screws on the sides of the T14 to ensure they stay shut during high winds. As for the compartment size, feel free to enlarge the compartments. The roomier the better for martins, you can also make the compartments deeper if you wish. When selecting a pole I suggest a square pole, the beefier and stronger the better since completed T14s weight about 100 pounds. Also use steel cable, not rope. I use a 1,000 crank winch for my set ups. I think it is a good idea to review as many pics on google images of T14s other landlords have built before starting your own build.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
daveh

Hanaho, never thought the T 14 I built was to small. The birds seem to have plenty of room, even with 6 sometimes 7 chicks. By enlarging the house, you are adding a lot of weight. You may have to beef up the pole.

My T 14 is around 130 lbs and that's following the plans to a tee. I used cedar boards which are lighter in weight than pine. I hang 4 to 6 gourds under it. I wrap it with a 2x4 inch wire cage for owl and hawk protection. I built wood nesting trays for each compartment which makes nest checking a breeze. The laminated post in the plans work well. It's 15 years old. It swivels down so that I can work on pole in the off season.

I use the PMCA's aluminum plates for openings. I use crescent and excluder plates and the birds go in and out with ease. They are about 99% starling resistant.

Since the house is cedar, there's not much maintenance. No parts have rotted away in 15 years. Just an occasional paint job and usually it's just spot painting here and there.

Dave
PMCA member
glfriend

Decided to change my T14 to a T10.....read a previous posting on designs and went with alternating tunnels. each box is 12 inches long and 7 inches wide. Also around 7 inches high. Cut down a few tress....just maybe next year:)
I attached some pics.

Garry
Attachments
PM2.jpg
PM2.jpg (119.68 KiB) Viewed 336 times
PM1.jpg
PM1.jpg (119.02 KiB) Viewed 336 times
Hanaho01

Nice......are those the S&k tunnels. Actually since my first try at martins thinking I may only build the 2 - 3 room units and add gourds...save weight seeing mostly gourd setups close to me. Went to Amish area today one family had a T-18 setup
glfriend

I mixed Troyer with S&K tunnels. Mostly Troyer. I use to have gourds underneath (2) but I setup a gourd pole about 20 feet away
white-out

Garry, may I ask what are and where did you find those round vents? I would like to add them to my t-14's...Thanks, Doug
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Garry,
You did a great job on constructing the house. White-out, I found my round vents at Lowe's. They are 2 inch silver aluminum soffit vents. Use a 2 inch hole saw, dab some lexel or good quality clear exterior silicone caulking around the inside lip of the soffit vent and insert snuggly into the hole you create with the hole saw. Be sure to point the vents down, so not to allow rain to leak inside the cavity.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.