New Idea to Control House Sparrows

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
philsand

I found this idea on the internet and I can not pull the page up again.
A guy reported that he will allow a sparrow pair to build their nest and lay their eggs.
Then he removes every piece of their nest and he crushes the eggs, smearing them all over the clean floor. When the sparrows returned, basically the only thing they do is to spend a couple of days eating every piece of the broken eggs, shells and all, and then abandon the house. Others reported similar results.
I am wary because I don't see it reported on this site. Has anyone else used this technique?
Thanks
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Thank you for this information, but there are some flaws in the guys understanding of sparrow behavior. If sparrow nests are removed or their eggs broken, the sparrow will have what is called sparrow revenge and enter nearby compartments that have martin eggs and destroy those eggs. This advice from that source is not recommended. I'm sure others will chime in with similar comments and input. I appreciate that you are trying to help and I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but it is a bad choice of method for getting rid of sparrows. Trapping and shooting are the best methods.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
philsand

I found the posting. You have to google New Ideas to Stop Nesting Sparrows, Purple Martin Forum.

Birds have a primitive brain which is similar to ours. I call it the lizard brain. It is where the fight or flight response originates. The birds can feel anxiety, fear and anger. It is caused by tissues being flooded with stress hormones. These feeling are uncomfortable. They do not have our neo-cortex so they don't hold on to these feeling very long. They basically want to return quickly to a feeling of safety.

If the reported method in the above post works it could possibly be because they use up there brief period of stress by cleaning up the mess. Maybe it is a born memory, or instinct, to eat the broken eggs to remove their odor in order to avoid ants and snakes, as some said. They may not want to feel that stress again and move on.

My set up is close by , traps have given mixed results, gun not allowed, the number of intruders is low and so I tried stalking starlings and sparrows. I move like a cat would move. You see them start getting a little jumpy. Then they fly to some nearby tree or bush. I continue toward them. They get jumpy again and move again. When they get too far away I throw something toward them. It only take a few times, usually in the early morning and late afternoon. After a time they do not feel safe and leave. When I was able to use an air rifle, they never felt unsafe. They just flew away and came back.
I agree trapping and killing is effective. And I hope that experimenting with the reported technique does not backfire.