Waiting For Babies To Fledge

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
rjm2

Hi, I'm a newbie and I am patiently waiting for what I hope is 4 baby martins to fledge. (Confirmed 4 healthy babies on last nest check on July 11th). The parents also seem to be patiently waiting and encouraging them to come out. I believe it has been ~ 28 days since the first hatch date and I have seen 3 of the babies with their heads out of my crescent opening waiting to be fed. I worry about the smaller 4th chick. Anyway, the past couple of days it seems a baby is trying to get out but can not negotiate the crescent shape hole. I assume they will figure it out, but I was wondering if this is normal and if anyone has changed out the crescent to the round opening to make it easier on the babies.
Thanks. :grin:
johncanfield

They should be fine, congrats on the soon to be fledgies. I have gourds with a modified rectanglular opening. Don't remember what they are called but they are starling resistant. The Martins have no problem coming and going.
John
JJ Ranch
Texas Hill Country
Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged

RJM,

They do look a bit hard pressed to get out of the crescents but they get over it real quick. You are just watching them learn. It takes a little bit of time but, in the end, the desire to get out and fly will educate them real quick on how to negotiate the opening. If they come home to roost after fledging, you'll also witness them trying to re-negotiate the entrance but, in the end, they will get it done.

I have a mixture of round holes and crescents on my gourd rack and have not seen a preference of one over the other. I can run round holes because I do not have a threat of house sparrows or starlings. If you have starlings stay with the crescents. It'll be safer for the martins.

Coolwhips
rjm2

Coolwhips & John,

Thanks for your advice. So, apparently one of the babies fledged either late yesterday or earlier today because I noticed a baby looking out from a compartment located on the other side of the house vs the original nest compartment. Had to fly there! :grin: Still concerned about the smaller 4th chick since I only see 2 chicks looking out from the original nest. Sure has been fun watching the process from day one (something to do during these strange times).

RJM
rjm2

Happy to report 4 healthy baby martins sighted on porch this morning with one flying with parents! :grin: