New Bo Nine Plus Gourds

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
philsand

Has anyone had success with The new Bo Nine Plus gourds. They are very light and have a black interior which I feel are good features.
Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged

Phil,

I've had good success with the BO11 plus gourds. The black inner lining allows the darkness some say the Martins like plus it helps in keeping things cool as the air circulates around and between the outer white gourd and the black interior. They also appear to be very dry. What I like a lot about the Bo11's Plus is you can rotate them on your mount to point the entrance in any direction you like. I used two of them on the interior of my gourd rack this year and they were immediately selected. I can rotate the gourd to have the entrance point directly between the two outer gourds. Next year all of my BO11's will migrate to the inner circle of my rack and the Verticals will take their place on the outer rim.

In any case, I have no scientific data on these but they are being used more than my Big Bo gourds ever have been. This year I am using 10 Troyer Horizontals along with 5 BO11 Plus gourds. The Horizontals are very popular and I had 4 out of 5 BO11's occupied My BO11's all have tunnels on them which made them even more attractive to the Martins. Last year the ones without tunnels were not used at all. The 3 remaining Big Bo gourds have only one SY pair and all the others are vacant. They all have tunnels as well. Next year I'm going to replace those with Troyer Verticals. So I'll have the Horizontals, the BO11 Plus, and the Verticals.

In your searching for gourds it is also very important to have large cavities and tunnels. So if the BO11 Plus interior is larger than the BO9 Plus interior, go with the BO11's and get tunnels for them. BTW. I wanted to compare the two so I clicked on the new products page and I didn't see the BO 9 Plus on the S&K website. I saw the BO Plus gourd that looks really small for $9.95 on sale.

Please share a link to the new BO9 plus if you can. I'd like to compare.

Sorry for the length. I just got into it a bit. But I hope I've helped your thought process a bit. Large interiors and tunnels are a great combination. I've had 6 years of trail and error to get to where I am today. Last year I had 4 pair and this year, with the changes I made detailed above, I had 12 pairs in my gourds.

Heres my gourd rack on 7-7-20 morning happy hour.

Coolwhips
Attachments
Gourds Happy Hour 7-7-20.jpg
Gourds Happy Hour 7-7-20.jpg (60.28 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

I have 2 bo11s, 6 Big Bos, and 8 Bo9s. The Bo11s and Big BOs are always selected first.

I wish the BO11 didn't weigh so much. They arenreally nice. I'm considering buying the newer BO9 Plus, martins seem to like that darkness the inner layer provides
SSMartin

I’ll have a full rack next year of the cheap bo plus gourds. I always had 6 bo gourds under my house and have had full occupancy. I consider them throw away gourds for the price and they are fun to modify. For some reason the starlings don’t mess with them here so I have left them with the round holes. I do not recommend it though in most cases.

I would add a tunnel which helps keep things dry and birds safe. Once your site is busy and established they’ll nest in almost anything it’s your job to make sure they’ll be safe.
philsand

Whippy,
You are making the right choices. You found the only link I know of that shows the BO Nine Plus gourds and they are on sale. They have a diameter of 9.25 inches and the Bo Eleven has a diameter of 11. The former only weighs 15 ounces. After 50 plus years providing martin housing I was looking for something light because of my age and I have no help.
I like the dark interior that apparently make the martins feel more safe and black absorbs heat away from the nestlings bodies. I am disappoint that they do not have an anti-wing entrapment protection and I had to add more drainage holes.

Hawks destroyed my colony 3 years ago. This winter the "martin bug" hit again and so I put up six of these gourds. I added owl guards to provide a little more protection from hawks. The martins would not go near them.. Reluctantly I added 3 Heath gourds and immediately a pair moved in. They have 3 nestlings that are11 days old. The gourd they are using is on the bottom row and the entrance is facing toward the pole. About three feet away. That is the one they chose. Apparently the pole makes them feel a little safer. They are very skilled in swooping in from below. This may not work in other rows.
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

Yep, i put tunnels on every BO type gourd.. they are great for hawks and an easy modification
MartinBoy14012

philsand wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:57 pm
Has anyone had success with The new Bo Nine Plus gourds. They are very light and have a black interior which I feel are good features.
They are Bo plus, not Bo 9 plus. Nothing similar to the 2 layer with air space Bo 11 plus. The Bo plus has a black inner layer laminated directly to the inside with no air space between the layers. Looks like a nice gourd for the price to try out.
SSMartin

Ok so I have used the bo gourds. The only difference is the clinger and the cleanout and you get a porch on the plus. The I can confirm they love the black interior I have 30 in use at one of my colonies
Attachments
716337C4-D8E9-4C44-BD7B-30B5549C8C9F.png
716337C4-D8E9-4C44-BD7B-30B5549C8C9F.png (183.49 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
Tallsilver

Martins here like the Bo 9 with clinger tunnel. I have some old Big Bo's with clinger tunnels, Bo 9's with clinger tunnels, and 60 Bo Plus with tunnels. All variations were taken, martins didn't seem to prefer one over the other. I do like the Bo Plus, but the tunnels have to be installed carefully. They are so light that an off centered tunnel will make it lean.

I might add that during this heat and humidity in coastal SC, most of my jumpers were in my Trendsetter 28. Got to figure a better vent system.
Aaron S Piver
Conway, SC
jpp77
Martin Colony History: 2015 - 1 pair, not successful (Sparrows)
2016 - 1 pair, 4 young
2017 - 5 pair, 23 young
2018 - 8 pair, 40 young, two deaths most likely due to heat.
2019 - 18 pair, 74 eggs, 1 nest abandoned, all the rest successful.
2020 - 32 nests, unknown exact egg numbers, 1 death.

I have 33 Bo 11+ (gourd within a gourd) divided between two of the Gemini round racks. Gemini can hold more than that, but since the Bo 11+ weigh a little more I went with fewer. I love the Bo11+. They cost a little more, but I feel over the last two years I've had less jumpers because of them. Gourd within a gourd with space for air to flow inbetween, vent cap on top and a tunnel added. Heat has been pretty steady in the low 90's with heat indices topping 100 degrees this year and I have had no jumpers. Some have fledged the last few days, but still have some that haven't. They are too far along to do nest checks now, so I'm hoping they are all still alive. Might end up with some jumpers later this week as the temps get into the mid 90's, but I'm hoping the rest just fledge soon.

I highly recommend the Bo11+ if you can spare a few extra bucks.
jpp77
Martin Colony History: 2015 - 1 pair, not successful (Sparrows)
2016 - 1 pair, 4 young
2017 - 5 pair, 23 young
2018 - 8 pair, 40 young, two deaths most likely due to heat.
2019 - 18 pair, 74 eggs, 1 nest abandoned, all the rest successful.
2020 - 32 nests, unknown exact egg numbers, 1 death.

Bo 9 vs Bo11+
Attachments
untitled.png
untitled.png (454.22 KiB) Viewed 1092 times