Martinwatch nest data sheet, fledged?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Lizzy53

I want to know how to fill out my sheet in the fledged column. In one nest there were 4 nestlings at 22 day old. Then at 27 day old, there were 2. In another nest I had 7 at 22 day old. Then at 27 day old there were 5. Could the missing birds have fledged since it was past 26 day old? Thank you !
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

Good question for a couple reasons. First is that it is required to verify fledgling for each nest by marking fledge (F) if your data is to be counted when you submit the Martinwatch data. Second is not to get too hung up on individual fledge dates as nestlings often fledge over several days. I make the last nest change at age 20 days. I do a head count and that is the last actual contact with the nestlings. After that, I just watch the nest for activity. I can usually observe some fledgling and then the fledglings returning to the nest each night to roost. If I counted 5 nestlings on the last check and all were healthy on day 20 afterI assume that all will fledge the nest once I observe fledgling activity. I have observed successful first flights from day 25 on. Some as late as day 32.

Hope you are having a productive year.

Ed
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

Good question for a couple reasons. First is that it is required to verify fledgling for each nest by marking fledge (F) if your data is to be counted when you submit the Martinwatch data. Second is not to get too hung up on individual fledge dates as nestlings often fledge over several days. I make the last nest change at age 20 days. I do a head count and that is the last actual contact with the nestlings. After that, I just watch the nest for activity. I can usually observe some fledgling and then the fledglings returning to the nest each night to roost. If I counted 5 nestlings on the last check and all were healthy on day 20 afterI assume that all will fledge the nest once I observe fledgling activity. I have observed successful first flights from day 25 on. Some as late as day 32.

Ed
brent

Yes, the missing birds could have fledged. I run into that often when I am doing my last nest checks. I count them as fledged.
Lizzy53

Thank you for your replies. I feel better about figuring my totals and checking on the birds. I have had 126 fledge, and have 31 more younger ones to go. I am very worried about them as we are expected to have high temps close to 100's with very high heat index.
Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at my Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".

Ed Svetich-WI wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:32 pm

Ed

Ed.. Just a question for ya... In years past I would mark a nest has fledged with an "X" meaning the babies have gone and the nest is now empty.. Is putting an "F" in the box for fledged babies something new.. and I missed it... In the passed if you didn't put an "X" in the last box, (meaning empty), that your nest checks would be invalid..

Dave
Home Site “Little Hocking, Ohio”
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors
2019 — 1 Pair, 5 Eggs, 5 Babies, 5 fledged. :wink:
2020 — 1 Pair, 4 Eggs, 4 Babies, 4 fledged. :wink:

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2018 -- 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
2019 — 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Babies and 97 Fledged. :wink:
2020 — 30 Pair, 156 Eggs, 137 Babies and 137 Fledged. :wink:

PMCA Member
Ed Svetich-WI

Dave,

Another good question. I guess I just used an "F" to indicate fledged without really thinking about it. The list on the bottom of the sheet only gives an"X" to indicate an empty cavity. I know my yearly data has been accepted as I get my yearly magnet in return.Maybe the PMCA will respond. I don't presume to speak for them.

Ed
Forum Admin
Site Admin

Ed.. Just a question for ya... In years past I would mark a nest has fledged with an "X" meaning the babies have gone and the nest is now empty.. Is putting an "F" in the box for fledged babies something new.. and I missed it... In the passed if you didn't put an "X" in the last box, (meaning empty), that your nest checks would be invalid..

Dave
The nest checks would be valid as long as there is some indication that the nestlings have all fledged; either an X for empty, or F for fledged is fine. As long as we know that the cavity was empty when it was last checked. Be sure to fill out the column for # fledged at the end as well, so we're sure of the number of birds that fledged.
Forum Administrator
Purple Martin Conservation Association - Please consider becoming a member of the PMCA.
Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at my Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".

..... Forum Admin ... Thanks so much for the reply... an "X" or "F" sounds great... Have a great day...

Dave
Home Site “Little Hocking, Ohio”
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors
2019 — 1 Pair, 5 Eggs, 5 Babies, 5 fledged. :wink:
2020 — 1 Pair, 4 Eggs, 4 Babies, 4 fledged. :wink:

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2018 -- 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
2019 — 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Babies and 97 Fledged. :wink:
2020 — 30 Pair, 156 Eggs, 137 Babies and 137 Fledged. :wink:

PMCA Member
daveh

I write down what I see, 0 young.