Jumper with mites

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Chris B

Saw a pretty good size jumper on the lawn under a rack this AM. After much swawking it settled down enough so I could examine it, and saw several little red mites as I stroked it's hack with my thumb.

Now I have 2 problems...

Mites! All I can think of is I let a pair of sparrows have a gourd and they spread them.

Can I put a little seven into an occupied gourd? I wouldn't even know how as I usually just put some in with the pine needles when I pre-nest.

Jumper! I made some eggs and put them near him on the place he is standing now. I will set up my re-hab gourd on my porch with some seven in needles and put him in. Hopefully he will lose the mites and get strong enough to fledge. Eggs is ll I can offer the little guy.

3 problems...

Yesterday AM I woke to a pile of feathers, and eventually found the other three dead babies of a BS nest that was on my porch. My old time expert BS's nest was raided a few weeks ago. I leave the porch light off for them and to keep the bugs away, maybe it should be on.

I have a night killer on the loose. My dawg saw these raids happen from inside the porch window, cause she goes nuts all of a sudden and wants out. But she can't catch a night thief.
2014 8 gourds, 3 pairs nested. Ended w/ 24 total
2015 24 gourds, 22 nests. Lotsa birds!
2016 24 gourds and good activity.
2017 32 SREH gourds. Great activity.
2018 40 SREH gourds. Good finish despite big storm damage. No more dangling gourds.
2019 56+ SREH gourds, all on 3/8 rods. Birds did very well.
2020 56 SREH gourds.
Chris B

So the little guy is on the porch, and a pair or adults came to check on him. The male was making quite strange chirps. The male even fed him. All I have to do is figure out which gourd they are using, and put him back in.

Keeping the grass low under the gourds is a good way to spot jumpers. Keeping mites out is a good way to prevent them IMO.

They sure relax after stroking them on their back.

Edit later: I figuerd out which gourd it was, I think. Put the little guy back in. Daddy is perched on top of the gourd, and I have seen momma coming and going inside. There were two other babies in the gourd, about the same size. They were alive. It must be a real trip for a jumper to get picked up by a human and carried and stroked.

I didn't do anything with seven at that time.
2018 40 SREH gourds. Good finish despite big storm damage. No more dangling gourds.
2020 56 SREH gourds.
Chris B

This guy was also "loose" earlier when I was dealing with the first. There is a small 4' tree near these racks, and he was in the grass at the base. I knew cause daddy came and fed him there. As the day wore on he sought shelter up higher in the leaves. It is almost 100 today.

So I just checked on him and he was in there with his mouth open. Cant get fed there.

He is inside with me in the cool air. I sprayed some water on him, and he is in my other hand as I type. They calm right down with stroking on their backs. I'll keep him inside a few hours until it gets cooler and put him in a gourde
2020 56 SREH gourds.
Spiderman

Just lower the Gourd rack and put 1/4 teaspoon of 5% dust in all of the gourds. That will solve your problems with the jumpers.

I'm glad the adults came to check on the baby and you were able to identify the Gourd that it went in. Same trick may work with the 2nd one.

Martins body temperature is 104 degrees by nature. I would worry about chilling them by bringing them into the air conditioning.

Small piles of feathers usually is an indication of an Owl. Either Barred owl or Great Horned Owl. If it's an owl you should be able to walk around the perimeter of your yard and find an owl feather. They constantly shed feathers. Just Google Great Horn Owl feather and you will know what you are looking for.

Good luck with the Owl they are tough to defend against.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED