Taking gourds down?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
glfriend

I live in Central Virginia. I have not seen a PM fly by for weeks. I have a PM colony about a mile away I am visiting today. If the PM's are gone should I go ahead lower the gourds and plan next year? Or keep it up?
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

Leave them up. I bet there are martins checking them out. You cannot be there every daylight hour. If you have not prenested them, do so. It looks like they have been used previously. Ask the active colony when they lower their gourds/ house and follow their guidance.

Good luck in the future.

Ed
glfriend

Thanks Ed ...yes I have them prenested. Will follow the other colony's lead
Spiderman

I leave the gourds up for at least a month after the Martins leave. Allot of Martins migrate south through here and sometimes they will come in at dusk and stay the night then leave before sunrise the next morning.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED
jhcox
Martin Colony History: Started colony in 2014. First pair to stay and raise young in 2018.

Are you playing the Dawn Song? Also rube some mud on the entrance and on the porch’s if you have porch’s it makes it look lived in.